Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

suspension parts restoration - best paint for durability
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxdup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: suspension parts restoration - best paint for durability Reply with quote

I am in the process of restoring the cpmplete FR & RR suspensions and would like to hear from you're experience on right paint to choose from for best durability.

After putting the suspension into pieces, de-greasing, scrubbing and sandblasting every parts I've applied 3 layers of PPG epoxy primer - sealer....and I am now ready for final paint but not sure what to go for.

Additionally I would like the part to look as original as possible...is there a color code for these parts from VW to match orginal paint?

See pics below
Cheers

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do nice work !.. Smile ..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POR-15 company makes several different products for chassis, suspension, engine, and body....your local NAPA has catalogs on their products and applications....if you don't have a NAPA store in Canada, try online...that POR-15 is amazing....try it. Very Happy
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use to be POR 15 went on bare/metal prep'd metal- can it go on top of primer now? I like semi-gloss black ie."tremclad"

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Macropoxy by SW. 2-part DTM epoxy with super high build and great adhesion, flexibility and water-resistance.

If you thin it about 4:1 with the prescribed thinner it lays down real nice -

maxdup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Macropoxy looks very nice
you've using the - 646 Fast cure or another type?
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxdup wrote:
the Macropoxy looks very nice
you've using the - 646 Fast cure or another type?

Yep 646
WithTheFlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: suspension parts restoration - best paint for durability Reply with quote

I love SPI Epoxy. Especially on a freshly sand blasted surface. 2-3 coats. Doesnt need to be top coated. Holds up great

“The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better."
-- The Alchemist”
bigdaveb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: suspension parts restoration - best paint for durability Reply with quote

Nice work Maxdup,

When I did my suspension, I ended up using Masterseries primer and their chassis black:

http://www.masterseriesct.com/home.html

There are a number of discussions in the body and paint forum regarding Masterseries if you need more info. The primer is designed to be applied directly to sandblasted or moderately rusted metal (2 coats) and the chassis black goes directly over that (2 coats). Here are a couple of pics of my suspension, although it has a bit of dust and some grease:

The nice thing about the Masterseries coating is that it's self-leveling - so there is some forgiveness with sags. Also, when I checked my front beam the next day after shooting, I thought the chassis black never dried since it was so shiny. It looked like black glass.

Regarding durability, I had to sandblast a part that didn't quite come out right. As I recall, it took almost 20 seconds of sustained blasting in one spot with aluminum oxide to get through the chassis black to the primer. The coating is pretty tough.

If you want to go this route, take some time to read up on it - there is a good amount of information out there. I believe "vwsplitman" is still on the forums here and is the distributor for Masterseries. He can answer any questions you might have.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: