Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

Performed my first smoke test on '78 Westy with FI yesterday (with much help from reading through these forums, tyvm) and could use some additional help verifying a leak. A few extra trained eyeballs on this would be great.

I was getting some smoke leaking near the #4 injector which makes sense because my plug in that cylinder that I previous checked shows that it has been running lean.

I apologize for this somewhat crappy video of it in action but was hoping extra eyes could help me identify if it looks like an intake gasket or injector seal (just replaced my FI lines recently- the injector seals looked fine and according to my records of the vehicle they were replaced about 3k mi ago. So I am leaning toward the intake manifold gasket. But again having no frame or reference I am making an educated guess. It could even be something else entirely?

Video link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PZU9a2snLSkptUw5A

Disclaimers:
-78 FI GE engine code
-yes that audio is my air compressor running
-extra smoke towards opposite side of engine bay is just from my poor job of sealing up the S boot and it starting to leak out through the tape.

So yeah extra eyes appreciated! it kind of looked like it was coming from below the intake manifold gasket but I couldn't quite get my camera all the way under.
Thanks
1977 Westfalia Weekender Tintop (very first car - SOLD Sad )
1992 VW Corrado VR6 (SOLD)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

Hey Drew,

I think you’re on the right track. When was the last time the 13mm M8 intake manifold nuts were snugged up? I’ve started checking them at every valve adjustment, and they usually need a little tightening. Another common problem is the tin getting stuck under the manifold. Can you push the tin with a screwdriver or something to make sure it wiggles all the way around the manifold?

Do you see any smoke under the car, from various exhaust joints or cylinder spigots?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

Robbie,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have no idea last time those nuts were snugged up so I will check that today. Bentley says 14ft-lbs on those.

I will check the tin also at the same time.

I don't remember seeing any smoke coming out from below the engine but I will likely smoke test again after checking the above.

I'm not exactly sure what a cylinder 'spigot' looks like- would i need to remove the tin underneath the engine on that side to see it?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

The spigot is where the cylinder goes into the head Smile

Get your torque wrench on one of the easily accessible manifold nuts on the left side, then remember that feeling for the other bolts because getting the torque wrench in on the right side isn’t worth if if you can recreate the feeling yourself consistently. Remember that shorter ratchets give less torque, so grab your torque wrench in the spot that matches the length of your preferred ratchet.

Torque wrench 102 also dictates that clock-type wrenches are only accurate when the fastener is moving, you should always brace socket extensions with equal force, and you should always hold the wrench in the click/dial indicated position once you reach it to give the fastener a chance to tell you if it strips. (Torque will drop off in that case.) Always store click-type wrenches at their lowest setting too.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

Are you missing your TSII (Temp Sensor)?
There is a threaded hole next to the intake with a big circle cut out of the tin.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

The easiest and cheapest job is to replace the injector seals, so you might want to start there.
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Hey Drew,

I think you’re on the right track. When was the last time the 13mm M8 intake manifold nuts were snugged up? I’ve started checking them at every valve adjustment, and they usually need a little tightening. Another common problem is the tin getting stuck under the manifold. Can you push the tin with a screwdriver or something to make sure it wiggles all the way around the manifold?

Do you see any smoke under the car, from various exhaust joints or cylinder spigots?
Robbie

Ok reporting back:

I've checked the tin and all seems good there. Doesn't seem like its under the manifold. It does wiggle a little bit all the way around and i can visually see clearance. Looks like it was done right.

I checked the torque on those hex nuts-- they did need a little tightening to get to 14ft-lbs. Each one took anywhere form 1/2 to 1 full turn to reach that.

I then re-ran the smoke test. But same results.

I tried to get a better video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qkD178Eak7begvKZ8

seems as if its coming from the direct underside of that intake port? but i can't tell if its the gasket or the intake manifold itself.

There is some minor smoke i can see underneath the vehicle but i think its just from this area flowing past the tins to the underside as it seems very spread out underneath (ie. no perceptible emitter points of strong flow).

I also should mention that my #4 cyl does have lower compression than the rest. We are talking 85psi on #4 vs. 115psi on the rest. Would this all be related?

Next question: How bad is it to run the engine like this?

Thanks again.
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

gintaras wrote:
Are you missing your TSII (Temp Sensor)?
There is a threaded hole next to the intake with a big circle cut out of the tin.

No I have one-- but its mounted near the #3 cylinder. I have no idea what that threaded empty hole is.. it's too small for a TSII tho.
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The easiest and cheapest job is to replace the injector seals, so you might want to start there.

Yes a good idea to do this anyway.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

replace the gasket and phenolic block between the cylinder head and intake runner.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

BoltonFTW wrote:

I also should mention that my #4 cyl does have lower compression than the rest. We are talking 85psi on #4 vs. 115psi on the rest. Would this all be related?

Next question: How bad is it to run the engine like this?

Thanks again.

A mixture that is out of whack can greatly increase the aging of the various parts that make up the piston, cylinder, and head.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

Excellent technique blowing the smoke away towards the end of the test. You can see the smoking gun out of the #4 manifold gasket. On new gaskets/spacers, it's USUALLY one spacer block with a thin gasket on each side. I have seen some off-brands that are separate gasket/spacer/gasket style, but they are rare. The gasket is so thin that the surfaces need to be very clean. Lucky for you, any debris ingested by the engine is Major Danger. Since you'll have the injectors off, now is a perfect time to reset the service clock on those injector seals… How are your fuel lines? TS2 fully seated? Engine grounds clean and snug? All SORTS of projects to do while you're in there! Smile

Discussion question:
Do YOU think the low compression and vacuum leak on cylinder #4 are related? Why, or why not?

See you on the road,
Robbie
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback and responses- I appreciate it as I continue to learn about this engine.

I've gone ahead and ordered the block/gaskets and will be replacing them. From the bentley it looks like I don't even have to remove the intake plenum. I can just pull injectors and then the intake manifold?

I will do the injector seals at the same time and check the FI grounds.

I've already done the fuel lines and my TS2 is snugged up fine with the copper washer.

For the manifold gasket installation: I read through some other threads and people have mixed thoughts on installing dry vs. using a gasket sealant? Any additional thoughts on that?

As for the compression discussion question:
I was originally thinking that the leak at the manifold would cause a direct relation to the lower compression but I re-thought it and realized that the compression test checks the compression within the cylinder with all valves closed on the compression stroke. Sooo likely this leak does not directly affect the compression in that cylinder (i.e. fixing the leak will not raise the compression)-- but as Wildthings mentioned if this leak has been around a while it could have caused extra wear (running lean/hot) to piston ring or valve seats that would indeed affect compression in that cylinder.(?)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

If you don't know how old the boots are between the plenum and the manifold runners, now might be the time to renew them as well.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

BoltonFTW wrote:
For the manifold gasket installation: I read through some other threads and people have mixed thoughts on installing dry vs. using a gasket sealant? Any additional thoughts on that?

Once clean and dry, I've always done a thin and even smear of grease on both sides of the gasket block. If nothing else, removal is easier down the line and cleanup is virtually nonexistent after a basic wipe down. Any sealant will work against you in the long run unless you get really fancy with a brayer, RTV, and a sheet of glass:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8119428#8119428

While that method is probably the most comprehensive one could do to the intake gasket, a thin even coat of grease with the edge of a popsicle stick has given me years of leak-free joints.

Quote:

…if this leak has been around a while it could have caused extra wear (running lean/hot) to piston ring or valve seats that would indeed affect compression in that cylinder.(?)

This is the answer I was hinting at. It's hard to say if the leak is new or vintage, but if it's been there a while, I would freely and wildly speculate that if there is valve damage, it might have been caused by a vacuum leak on that cylinder.

You are correct in your assumption that fixing the leak will not cure the damage, but it may slow the damage enough to get you through a camping season. Have your 3,000-mile valve adjustments been stable?

Robbie
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Once clean and dry, I've always done a thin and even smear of grease on both sides of the gasket block. If nothing else, removal is easier down the line and cleanup is virtually nonexistent after a basic wipe down. Any sealant will work against you in the long run unless you get really fancy with a brayer, RTV, and a sheet of glass:

Wow what a procedure. Probably a little too involved for me on this job. I likely will go popsicle stick route.. what type of grease do you recommend for something like this? Any particular to avoid

BoltonFTW wrote:

…if this leak has been around a while it could have caused extra wear (running lean/hot) to piston ring or valve seats that would indeed affect compression in that cylinder.(?)

asiab3 wrote:

This is the answer I was hinting at. It's hard to say if the leak is new or vintage, but if it's been there a while, I would freely and wildly speculate that if there is valve damage, it might have been caused by a vacuum leak on that cylinder.

You are correct in your assumption that fixing the leak will not cure the damage, but it may slow the damage enough to get you through a camping season. Have your 3,000-mile valve adjustments been stable?

Robbie

Bus is fairly new to me and I have put just about 3000mi on it since purchase. Hydraulic lifters were last adjusted about 10k mile ago according to my records so I am definitely due for an adjustment. Do hydraulic need adjusted every 3k mi? I thought it was more like 15k (at least I thought I read that in the Bentley-- maybe outdated info)
I have yet to do an adjustment myself but am coming up on needing to. I have read Colin's article on hydraulic lifter adjustment a few times and am feeling more confident but need to get the dedicated time to make sure I do it right.

Thanks again for your comments and help
oshima
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
brayer, RTV, and a sheet of glass:

That gauge is amazing yet amazingly simple!
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

Is it okay to reuse the intake runner sleeves? Mine have less than 3000 miles on them and were installed in 4/2017. Then again so was the gasket I'm about to replace.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

BoltonFTW wrote:
Is it okay to reuse the intake runner sleeves? Mine have less than 3000 miles on them and were installed in 4/2017. Then again so was the gasket I'm about to replace.

Yes they can be reused if they are supple and not seriously cracked. If you think it is warranted you can use wireties or hose clamps to apply clamping pressure.
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 78' FI Smoke Test - leaking intake manifold gasket or FI gasket? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
BoltonFTW wrote:

Yes they can be reused if they are supple and not seriously cracked. If you think it is warranted you can use wireties or hose clamps to apply clamping pressure.

Thanks WT.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: