Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

002 gearbox diff bearing preload
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: 002 gearbox diff bearing preload Reply with quote

Hi
Have my 69 westy box torn down due to a worn pinion bearing and main shaft bearing. Have been doing research on setting the diff bearing preload ( I marked side adjusters before stripdown ,new diff bearings fitted as well ) and it looks like most experienced builders do it by feel, but apparently it normally equates to the side adjustor being turned 1 to 1.25 inches after zeroing the bearings. My question is ---- are both side adjusters turned in 1 to 1.25 inches after zeroing the bearings or only one side 1 to 1.25 inches after the zero of the bearings.Want to get the preload in the ball park before I temp install pinion shaft and reset the adjusters for the correct backlash and then check gear contact to make sure the pinion depth has not changed due to the new bearing
Thanks Ross

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: 002 gearbox diff bearing preload Reply with quote

Just one needs to be turned that far.

Personally when running the patterns I would leave it where the races just touched the bearings. The diff is easier to turn and see the pattern. I would measure backlash and then confirm/ adjust with running a grease pattern. Once I was happen I would measure again and then do half your total preload to each side and either run the pattern or measure backlash to make sure it stayed where I wanted it too.

If it's the same diff, diff bearings, ring gear you can put it back to your marks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: