Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

pops711 wrote:
I i have sheared and can not find this information. What color should the shifter and e-brake handle be for a Kalahari beige bug?

All 58-60 bugs had the seat frames, shifter, ebrake, rear seat bar, steering wheel, turn signal switch, and steering column painted stone beige.
pops711
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
pops711 wrote:
I i have sheared and can not find this information. What color should the shifter and e-brake handle be for a Kalahari beige bug?

All 58-60 bugs had the seat frames, shifter, ebrake, rear seat bar, steering wheel, turn signal switch, and steering column painted stone beige.

Thanks for the info. Now can you tell me what color all the knobs (shifter, heater, switches, ect...) and buttons (e-brake) are?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

pops711 wrote:
jays58s wrote:
pops711 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Now can you tell me what color all the knobs (shifter, heater, switches, ect...) and buttons (e-brake) are?

Ivory
myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Send me a PM and I can help you calculate your engine case very close to what your came with.

Regards,

bwaz wrote:
I’ve been searching to get a close as possible 36hp to what my August 2/57 delivered car should have. Someone with a July 5/57 built oval was kind enough to pass on their serial and engine number. That car with serial number 1588849 has engine number 1903455. My car built July 15/57 is serial number 1601113 which has their’s 12264 before my car, adding that difference to his engine, my engine could be 1915719? (Cars built 10 days apart) I recognize those blocks we’re going into buses and convertibles too, so it’s only a guess.
As my car is a square window, the Samba says my enine should start with at least a 1937052 block. The block I'm looking at is 1922713 which is midway between all those numbers... anyone with a later July or earlier August (August. 1) delivered car care to help out? Thanks

WANTED: DEET EICHEL (Modesto, CA), license plate frames and other Deet Eichel related items.

Wanted: Original VW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Is it time we started our own 58-59 surviving beetle registry? Lots of other year cars have one?
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
Is it time we started our own 58-59 surviving beetle registry? Lots of other year cars have one?

That would be awesome! I’d be up for that! Very Happy

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:

One was started a long time ago, and needs to be updated...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Speaking of the late model 50's cars........Has anyone ever heard of a repair kit for the small copper/brass sleeve on the steering shaft that makes the horn work? I spliced on a few extra inches on mine because it had been cut short. For some reason it still seems to be a weak link in the horn ground system. I doubt the sleeve part is the problem. More likely it's the bare wire that's pinched under it. The plunger part mounted on the outside of the steering column is new from Wolfsburg West. To pass the required state safety inspection, I installed a remote horn button under the dash with a separate ground wire to the 6 volt horn up front. I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this problem. Thanks for any advice.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I recently scored a very original Diamond grey 59 ragtop. Build was Aug 58. 75000 original miles. I dont think the motor has ever been pulled and still running on the original clutch. Runs like a sewing machine. Little old lady owned. She banged the passenger side front fender long ago. That was replaced with an early non tube type fender. The pans are perfect. Bumpers were rusty and I just threw on a set I could find locally for cheap for now. Came with all the original brochures and sales paperwork in a binder. Just amazing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Wow, nice!

It's weird I can't really tell the outside color in those pics, it almost looks like primer.
Is it really chalky?

The stock manuals and stuff are killer, I love that sort of thing
Another pic you posted

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Very nice!!!
1965 Notchback S
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Nice, what are your plans for her?
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Can only dream of finding one like that in Hawaii. Seems like all the really good deals are on gone or totally rusted into a lawn ornament.

Question for everyone.......Do the old split case gear boxes have a number stamped on it somewhere?

Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

wiferdill wrote:
Can only dream of finding one like that in Hawaii. Seems like all the really good deals are on gone or totally rusted into a lawn ornament.

Question for everyone.......Do the old split case gear boxes have a number stamped on it somewhere?

Thanks

Yes, there is a serial number up near the front of it but on the side

Not the best photo but here's a '57:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks EveretteB,
With your help I found the number under 65 years of grease and road dirt. It's a late November 1953 trans. Another list member said these old units are pretty much worthless. Good thing I got mine for free. My '59 Euro Beetle ragtop has a Freeway Flyer installed now, but I thought it would be nice to have an original box on the shelf just in case someone wants to return it to original some day.......or at least close. As far as the rebuild goes, I'll put it off until needed. Thanks
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

If it 's really a '53 transmission I don't think it is worthless.

A '53 transmission would be a "smooth case" transmission and someone might want that for a restoration.
The transmission case is different than a later transmission
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
bwaz wrote:

One was started a long time ago, and needs to be updated...

That looks like a great start! Is there more somewhere?
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I've transposed that info, but can't seem to keep the tabs lines up for the columns? Any ideas how to do this so people can add their info?
wiferdill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

If someone can figure it out, I'll be happy to add my information to the list. Sadly, that kind of thing is beyond my skill level.
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
I've transposed that info, but can't seem to keep the tabs lines up for the columns? Any ideas how to do this so people can add their info?

No, but if revamped and set up maybe as a spread sheet, that might work better.

That said, there is more info here that if somebody takes on this project could add to the mix.

http://58-59enthusiasts.proboards.com/thread/1/58-59-registry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 133 of 148

Jump to: