Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is a turbo 1776 practical?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:

Its not tough to hide the setup under the deck lid with a blow through. With a draw through, yeah, its a little tougher, but buy the CB hideaway header or something similar

Who makes something similar?
And is there someone that makes a 1 3/8" under breast plate turbo header?

Sorry for the minor thread hijack OP. I'm trying to get something together and keep running into a Brick wall

Carry on.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
135*F IAT's are the critical point.......serious ignition retard, Water/Alcohol injection and/or intercooler is recommended above that level.

6.0 lbs boost at 80 degree ambient intake temps will give you that 135*F IAT's.

That's tough. In Vegas we're approaching 115* ambient temps in the summer. I've been wondering how feasible it is to boost an air-cooled here without an intercooler. It seems like we would be very boost limited here unless you choose to substantially increase the technology, i.e. intercooling, efi, igntion control etc.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
clonebug wrote:
135*F IAT's are the critical point.......serious ignition retard, Water/Alcohol injection and/or intercooler is recommended above that level.

That's tough. In Vegas we're approaching 115* ambient temps in the summer. I've been wondering how feasible it is to boost an air-cooled here without an intercooler. It seems like we would be very boost limited here unless you choose to substantially increase the technology, i.e. intercooling, efi, igntion control etc.

Water/Alcohol Injection works very well for lowering intake temps.

I inject 3.0 gph into my engine and it lowers my intake temps 100 degrees.

I can run 20-22 lbs boost and have 135*F IAT's injecting the Water/Alcohol mix 50/50.
I run two nozzles staged at different boost levels to keep from adding too much at low throttle settings and it has worked really well.

Here are my two Hobbs switches and two solenoids for the different boost levels. The 1.0 gph comes on at 4.0 lbs and the 2.0 gph comes on at 9.0 lbs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have also added an intercooler recently and with the two combined it gets my intake temps back down to under 80*F in spring and fall at over 22 lbs. boost.

With a 1776 you can probably use a 2.0gph nozzle set to come on at 6.0 lbs up to 13-15 lbs boost. You will need some ignition retard along with it too.
The critical area is mid rpm high load about when the turbo hits full boost.....for me it's right around 3500 rpm in third gear. That is where you need the max amount of water and ignition retard if the water doesn't take care of it all.

I'll never run another carb again since I've gone to FI.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
In Vegas we're approaching 115* ambient temps in the summer. I've been wondering how feasible it is to boost an air-cooled here without an intercooler.

Lot's of folks go with a draw-through setup in those desert climates. The natural charge cooling effect of sucking fuel through the compressor housing seems to work well. I have not personally tried a draw-through setup yet, but have heard of more than a few who really enjoyed how they drive. Race fuel would be required for 'high boost', but how high is too high depends entirely on the build and the tune.

aka Turbobaja
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

Draw threw works great up here in northern Michigan too Wink
I wasn't worried about hiding anything under a deck lid , heck I'm purdy proud how it runs and looks ,gets good gas mileage too Laughing
Specs: 2276cc
044 42x37.5 ported
FK 10 cam w/1:4 autocraft's
CarCraft coated Header
Deep sump 1 1/2qt
t4/t3 fleaBay turbo
limit timing to 24* I run a Mallory single points and a Blue coil or the MSD 6al & dizzy Wink

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Draw threw works great up here in northern Michigan too Wink
I wasn't worried about hiding anything under a deck lid , heck I'm purdy proud how it runs and looks ,gets good gas mileage too Laughing
Specs: 2276cc
044 42x37.5 ported
FK 10 cam w/1:4 autocraft's
CarCraft coated Header
Deep sump 1 1/2qt
t4/t3 fleaBay turbo
limit timing to 24* I run a Mallory single points and a Blue coil or the MSD 6al & dizzy Wink

Nice old school setup! I noticed you have your intake t-ed instead of radiused.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

What the hell is that? Definitely NOT the route I’m considering.
Would your deck lid close over that? 😂
Jk, I know it’s badass but I wanted more of a turbo sleeper idea.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

Try this:

https://m.facebook.com/RADesignsinfo/photos/a.1583..._tn__=EH-R
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

I'll tell ya 'What the Hell it is" It's a Viper/Vette/Mustang/Camaro /Mopar ,,ass kicker Laughing and yes the intake is T'd for a good reason Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I'll tell ya 'What the Hell it is" It's a Viper/Vette/Mustang/Camaro /Mopar ,,ass kicker Laughing and yes the intake is T'd for a good reason Wink

Right on! Very Happy Your engine is purrrdee! I say it often, but I love a big ol' turbo and exhaust hangin' out the back of a bug or ghia!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

Thanks, I saved up parts for a few years to build it, was going N/a with 48 IDA's but my son kept telling me to go 'Turbo' he was right Rolling Eyes Laughing no more shifting at 8000 rpm's, no more close ratio trans, first time I built it with a w120 cam,, but it wanted more, way better with the FK10 Wink the w120 left a lot of
power on the bench/table Laughing
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Thanks, I saved up parts for a few years to build it, was going N/a with 48 IDA's but my son kept telling me to go 'Turbo' he was right Rolling Eyes Laughing no more shifting at 8000 rpm's, no more close ratio trans, first time I built it with a w120 cam,, but it wanted more, way better with the FK10 Wink the w120 left a lot of
power on the bench/table Laughing

I hear ya - I'm collecting parts myself!
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
clonebug wrote:

If you have access to E85 its a game changer. I've been up to 20lbs of boost with no intercooler on E85. Just need big enough injectors and a bullet proof way to retard your timing.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
Ron G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
67 Sunroof wrote:
I would be extremely happy with 90-100whp.
I think the turbo “rush” would be an awesome feeling. It would be pretty tough to hide under the deck lid huh? The header flange must exit straight out the back and cannot be tucked under the rear apron?

Ha, you would be happy with 100whp for like a week, maybe two...then you would want more.
Its not tough to hide the setup under the deck lid with a blow through. With a draw through, yeah, its a little tougher, but buy the CB hideaway header or something similar and you can do a closed decklid build easy. I can close the decklid on my '74 standard with no issues. The only issue some have is draining the oil from the turbo. Put a deep sump on and have an inch or two of slope from the turbo drain to the deep sump and you're good to go.

I was going to ask that question, where do you drain the turbo? Could you use a scavenge pump and dump it back in the block ? I’m new to this turbo stuff.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

Ron G wrote:
kangaboy wrote:
67 Sunroof wrote:
I would be extremely happy with 90-100whp.
I think the turbo “rush” would be an awesome feeling. It would be pretty tough to hide under the deck lid huh? The header flange must exit straight out the back and cannot be tucked under the rear apron?

Ha, you would be happy with 100whp for like a week, maybe two...then you would want more.
Its not tough to hide the setup under the deck lid with a blow through. With a draw through, yeah, its a little tougher, but buy the CB hideaway header or something similar and you can do a closed decklid build easy. I can close the decklid on my '74 standard with no issues. The only issue some have is draining the oil from the turbo. Put a deep sump on and have an inch or two of slope from the turbo drain to the deep sump and you're good to go.

I was going to ask that question, where do you drain the turbo? Could you use a scavenge pump and dump it back in the block ? I’m new to this turbo stuff.

I’ve not done it but I try to stay plugged into what them crazy LS boys are doing and some of them with remote and or rear mount turbos do exactly that. But the rub is the scavenger pump has to be even lower than the turbo. In a VW it’d probably be scraping the pavement

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
If you have access to E85 its a game changer. I've been up to 20lbs of boost with no intercooler on E85.

As is propane with it's 120 equivalent octane rating. Gave up on gas, 18 psi, no intercooler, wheel spin at 70 mph passing traffic! Shocked
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

I thought about E85, but I'd need a hugeass fuel tank,cus my 6 gal wouldn't cut it Rolling Eyes Laughing
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I thought about E85, but I'd need a hugeass fuel tank,cus my 6 gal wouldn't cut it Rolling Eyes Laughing

Truth. I'm filling up twice a week when I daily drive it, and I've got a 10 gallon tank.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is a turbo 1776 practical? Reply with quote

Gas mileage will suffer significantly with E85. But most will focus on the tradeoff.

edit: what's wrong with JC whitney? lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: