Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Short spring break road trip report
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

We were getting a little bit of cabin fever here in Portland and needed to get out and do some road trippin. With spring break around the corner we decided to plan a short 5 day road trip down south. We booked two days at Harris Beach State Park with our good friends and neighbors who own a Sprinter. They were only able to do the two day trip but we then headed south after Brookings. Here is the route:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We left Portland early on Saturday morning to make the long drive to Brookings. We normally only do around 150 miles per day on our trips but this was a long 330 mile push to get to camp. It was a nice drive that put us into camp around 3:00.

Right after setting up camp, we all took the kids down to the beach. It was a beautiful sunny day with almost no wind.

We spent some time letting the kids burn off some energy before hiking back and making dinner. A nice evening with a fire, drinks and conversation.
The next morning we went for a hike to another part of the beach and let the kids do some tide pool exploring. We found lots of star fish, hermit crabs, and sea anemones.

Back to camp for lunch and to let the kids play on the play structure that was in the campground. We then went for a hike up to the top of the bluff to take in the view.

Back for dinner and drinks and to prepare to leave the next morning. It was supposed to rain that night so we put away what we could. It indeed was raining hard the next morning and we were thankful for our awning to keep some items dry(ish). We packed up and said goodbye to our friends and headed south under rainy skies. The inside of the Westy was a bit foggy due to a wet tent and humidity from camping and it took a while to see clearly from the windshield!
Into Cali!

We only had about 90 miles to cover today as we booked a hotel for the night due to the torrential rains along the coast. Plus the twins wanted a swim and my wife and I were looking forward to a hot tub soak. We took our time bumming around the redwoods and checking out the area. One of our favorite places is Howland Rd outside of Crescent City and it was neat to do it in the rain. The road was a mess of mud and puddles and it was fun driving the Westy through it. I am still very impressed with the new Rancho 9000's up front and Bilstein 6100 rear shocks. Solid setup with GoWesty springs.

From there we headed to the Newton B. Druy Scenic Byway for some hiking since the rain let up a bit.

We then saw a sign for a drive through tree. Not sure if Westy would make it through but it was worth the $5 to see. The elderly lady at the booth said she thought we would be fine. With mirrors fully tucked, we just fit.

From there it was just a slow drive to Eureka where our Holiday Inn Express welcomed us with hot showers and a pool. We got an early start the next day due to a longish drive up Hwy 299 to Hwy 96 back into Oregon. Hwy 299 was a beautiful steep climb over the mountains. I am very glad I installed the external oil cooler recently. Temps never got above 220F on the climb up on the Rocky Jennings 2.2L. Stop near the top.

We had a plan to take a gravel road from Hwy 96 all the way to Applegate Or but after talking with a Caltrans worker he mentioned that the snow level was still at 4K feet and the pass we were going to take was at 4800 feet. We stuck to Hwy 96 to I5 to Oregon.
In Willow Creek for a rest.

Lunch stop along 96

We stopped for the night at a KOA near Medford as the long day tired us out.

Next morning was a long slog back on I5 to Portland.
It was a short but fun trip covering just over 1000 miles which is a lot for us in 5 days. This is a warm up for our summer trip to Canada for two weeks!
thanks
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

Wow, nice trip and beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

Lovely trip report. Thanks for the inspiration to get out.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

Great report, thanks for sharing. We took the Howland Hill road on our trip last summer on a bright, sunny day. I'd love to see it in the rain. It's stories like this that sometimes make me wish I could teleport my Vanagon to a cool location and do 300 miles or so then teleport it back home...

I like your ladder. Is that Gary Lee or something different?

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

I know I'm echoing others, but nice trip report and thanks for sharing. You got some awesome kid pictures on those trees. Get one (or more) printed and hang on your wall!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

thanks for adding to my want to move out there. looks like the kids had a great time too!

BiWerks Design, LLC
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
I know I'm echoing others, but nice trip report and thanks for sharing. You got some awesome kid pictures on those trees. Get one (or more) printed and hang on your wall!

This is funny...One of my go-to gifts for my wife is a good photo from one of our trips showing both daughters, a waterfall (or mountain or beach or whatever) and possibly a Vanagon. I find a good one, upload it to Canvas Pop, and four days later we have a professionally framed portrait.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

Love it! I did my grad school work in Ashland and over three summers managed to run out to many
of the areas you hit. Beautiful pics, beautiful country, beautiful memories...thanks so much for posting!

Cool

- Dave

PS: Any potential plans for some class 4-5 rafting next time...???!!!??? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Great report, thanks for sharing. We took the Howland Hill road on our trip last summer on a bright, sunny day. I'd love to see it in the rain. It's stories like this that sometimes make me wish I could teleport my Vanagon to a cool location and do 300 miles or so then teleport it back home...

I like your ladder. Is that Gary Lee or something different?

Thanks, I built the ladder rack and rear bumper.
We've been to Howland in both rain and sun. Sun was nice for hikes but rain added a new level of beautiful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

Thanks, my twins are the best road trip partners. Love to explore and camp. They didn't want to go home!
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

I already thought I was stoked for our first more-than-one-night trip of the year coming up in a couple of weeks- now I'm thinking about spontaneously heading out tonight because I can't wait that long. Great report!
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

Great trip report. Those pics of the redwoods makes me want to hop a plane and unwrap the Westy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

That pic of young lady in blue on that redwood is a Classic.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

Nice trip report!

I lived in Ashland for many years, my kids were born there.
I still have family there and a Brother in Crescent City.

Your photos made me home sick!

The Redwoods are fun and that road to the Applegate? Great pathway!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Nice trip report!

I lived in Ashland for many years, my kids were born there.
I still have family there and a Brother in Crescent City.

Your photos made me home sick!

The Redwoods are fun and that road to the Applegate? Great pathway!

Dave

Glad I could help Very Happy

Gonna try that road this summer or fall maybe. Gonna wait till the snow melts!
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

Great adventure report! Always good to see folks getting out there and enjoying life. Beautiful photos too.

I like the wheels you have. What kind are they, and what modifications did you need to make to use them?

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

Great post! When do you head to Canada?
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Great adventure report! Always good to see folks getting out there and enjoying life. Beautiful photos too.

I like the wheels you have. What kind are they, and what modifications did you need to make to use them?

They are the Vancafe “carrot” wheels and I put VW decals on the center caps.
They just bolt on
Nate
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

thumbs up, nate. good to see the ladder fit through the drive in tree. very important stress test.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Short spring break road trip report Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
thumbs up, nate. good to see the ladder fit through the drive in tree. very important stress test.

Thanks Alex, the ladder rack has been great. Nice to have an extra 2.5 gallons on the back for the long backcountry roads.
Nate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: