Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 632, 633, 634 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Bumper crops the GOOD stuff!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Installed the Empi disc brake kit. No issues other than the dust caps were kind of a pain to get on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also installed safaris in the same bus.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I RF'ed my bus top. I ALWAYS have the garage door opener in my bus to back in or come out as it has to be all the way open. Monday I bought gas in gascans and decided to unload them by my mailbox. So I got out with the opener and went inside to get the dolly. When I walk-open the garage door I don't open it all the way as it is more gentle coming down.

Argggg...I got back in and backed in...crash...I pulled forward realizing I'd hit the lip...but did more damage as the nail ripped the canvas and carved a scratch all the way to metal.

I put mercurochrome and tape over it hoping it will heal.
Currently wearing the Waldo-Award of shame.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Ouch.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
I RF'ed my bus top.

I've done that a couple of times. Back in the day with my '56 sunroof bus, tore up the brand new sunroof cover and fresh paint, and again with my '56 single cab - hit the door with the front of the tilt luckily the door as at such and angle that it just bent the door a little and didn't damage the canvas.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

On a whim, I shot some undercoating on the inside of a quarter panel to see how/if it would change the resonance characteristics. My rudimentary "tap test" indicates that it should quiet things down slightly.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Installed the Empi disc brake kit. No issues other than the dust caps were kind of a pain to get on.

Also installed safaris in the same bus.

Both jobs look perfect. Have you already said how you did the hinges?
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

I introduced the Humboldt COOP Single Cab to the 306 Kombi.

I have been the steward of the SC for several years and the Kombi came my way last fall, but by various circumstances, they had not been together till yesterday.

These buses are 140 VIN's apart. They were built on the same day in September of 59, came over on the same boat and were likely sold from the same dealership in Saskatchewan in late 1959.

The SC was found in a wrecking yard in Colonsay in 2008 by Mr. Murray and the Kombi was found in a nouveau commune in 2018 by Trevo.
The SC lived it's days in southern Saskatchewan and the Kombi in Central Saskatchewan.

They both had gas heaters installed at the dealership.

Both have survived in original paint.

The Kombi has its original paint front bumper. 3 original to the bus, original paint wheels, and the most pristine nose I have ever seen. It had not been raped for parts per se, but all seats are missing. There is a possibility the seats, rear bumper and apron may be buried in the snow at the commune. Once the snow melts, a search and rescue mission will be mounted to comb for parts.

Really hope to collect some more original pieces for the resurrection/preservation of this bus.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

This reads like these brethren ancient artifacts are with the best caretaker.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

thom wrote:
On a whim, I shot some undercoating on the inside of a quarter panel to see how/if it would change the resonance characteristics. My rudimentary "tap test" indicates that it should quiet things down slightly.

I did that on my Dormy... ALL OVER the inside, including the fresh air vent! That, along with the belly pans, does make it a very quiet road worthy ride! Cool
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Brendel20 wrote:
zozo wrote:
Finally gave in and yanked it out for a rebuild.

Where you sending it for a rebuild?

Got it back yesterday. Replaced anything/everything that showed signs of wear. I had him do both the transmission and the RGBs. Should outlast me.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

zozo, where did you ship it to?

zozo wrote:
Brendel20 wrote:
zozo wrote:

Got it back yesterday. Replaced anything/everything that showed signs of wear. I had him do both the transmission and the RGBs. Should outlast me.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
zozo, where did you ship it to?

zozo wrote:
Brendel20 wrote:
zozo wrote:

A local guy did it for me. He’s retired, but does some stuff off and on.
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

thom wrote:

What? Didn’t have any ROOFING TAR on hand? [read with sarcasm].
Thom, Thom, Thom...after all of the years spent on this resto, all the fumes have finally gotten to you. How about “whimming up” some hushmat and do it right (a piece in the middle of each section to deaden vibrations).

Pyro is a hillbilly Very Happy
Cainibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Well didn’t do it all today but I’m new:
Interior stripped, windows out, engine out.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:33 pm: Decided to file the '67 Westy's points, clean the cap contacts, replace the plugs and set the timing. Well...#4 sparkplug wouldn't tighten. Spent the day teaching myself how to do the Save-A-Plug tool and insert. It worked fairly well and time will tell. At least #4 is the easiest to work on.

After this incident I took an unknown shortblock and heads and stuff to VW Paradise (Paradise Motorsports). I said please take your time and build a stock SP 1600 from the best of my pile if it's usable

Turns out my donor block was cracked so Scott donated a low-mile never-bored H-block. A soon-to-be-released-H-block Hot VW article is coming out and Scott and Jason had sorted a whole pile of H cases. For some reason he gave me the best one...sheesh...thanks forever!

I'm using a Puma shroud that has a steel oil cooler offset but was told I can use the aluminum setup so Scott got me that. Anyone know for sure about that?

The hardest part so far was unloading it.

They have the best equipment there including a special tool for just flywheels. They balance the whole turning mass together plus rods and pistons etc.

Now they even have a killer transaxle guy and a pile of new and NOS tranny parts.
Cainibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Engine stripped and ready for tear down.
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Finally finished refreshing my fake Westy rack. Sanded, stained and varnished wood slats and polished the basket. Bus looks better with a hat on it.

'65 Honda Dream
Spacejunkee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

Fugg, what have I begun. She’s pretty far gone.😑

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bus today? Reply with quote

You've got a hatchet and some pry bars. Good to go!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 632, 633, 634 ... 678, 679, 680  Next
Jump to:
Page 633 of 680

Jump to: