Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

Hi All,

So my bus has Girling style calipers and they need revamping due to a leak.

I ordered a set of Girling style calipers from Autozone. What they gave me has the cross shaped ATE spring (7 in the diagram) so I had them take them back.

I ordered another set of Girling's from Rockauto.com and they are the same.

Argh!

Question 1: Someone told me that the calipers are interchangeable with the difference being where the brake line enters. I have braided flexible brake lines, so I'm thinking maybe I'm OK. Is that true?

Question 2: The new calipers don't come with the retainer (06) below. Can I use the ones from my Girling calipers (6A)?

Thanks!
Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Last edited by markd89 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

The inlet port is in a different place, but otherwise they're interchangeable as a complete unit. Can't speak to the retainers from experience but I can't think why the Girling part wouldn't work as long as it fits the ATE piston correctly -- they both use the same pads so the gross dimensions should be the same.

With flexible braided lines you should be golden on the fluid connections. I've been able to **carefully** re-bend the OE hardline to to the caliper when swapping brand to brand, but it always had me puckering my shorts during the process...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

get a hold of Clatter. He is the last person here to successfully navigate the Girling Challenge.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

What's the reason for sticking with girling and not just getting ATE calipers?
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

To answer your first question about the soft lines no. A hard line is used to enter the caliper. As far as the retaining plates go no. The Girling plates are completely different. I had to search the entire frickin planet to find Clatter a rebuild kit for the Girling calipers. And I don’t know if they were actually correct or not. If you want the easiest solution with the least expense go to the ATE calipers. Either get a new hard line bent to accommodate them or bend one yourself. There is a caveat in terms of the ATE calipers though. Places will tell you that they are the correct ATE calipers for your Bus, but....they are very likely the later Vanagon calipers that have a different location where the hard line attaches. This really is not an issue since you will be bending a new hard line. My bet is that you are receiving these later calipers which is why the hard lines will not connect properly. Rebuild kits for the Girling calipers are basically unobtanium. NOS correct ATE calipers are available but extremely expensive. Rebuild kits for the ATE calipers are readily available. So that being said I would find a set of correct ATE calipers, have them rebuilt and install them. I cannot day for certain that the connection point for the hard line is the same for the Girling and the correct ATE calipers. Hope this helps.
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

Thanks much gents!

I took some pics. It looks like the hardline does need to be bent or replaced. You can see in the pics that the port where the hydraulic connects is in a different spot.

Maybe the trick would be to have the flexible line reversed so it's going up, then the metal line could go down to the new port location.

Then I just have to figure out the retainer plate.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

Busok has the stock retaining plates. A samba member was also making these in stainless which should last forever.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

So your new calipers have ATE-style pistons? I see no reason you can't use the Girling-style retainer plates with those, unless
the pad retaining pin holes are a different size.
Or just omit the plates entirely: many have none and say they have no problems caused by that. Just make sure to
orient the pistons correctly, in either case.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

Thanks again, gents!

We'll try to reuse the plates for now. I'll post back next week on how it all works out.

Mark
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

I took me forever to get Girling rebuild kits,
And when I did the quality was garbage compared to the OG parts.

Whatever ATE mods might need done, like bending a hard line or trimming a backing plate, are nothing compared to using a crappy rebuild kit.

It will be very soon that these Girlings need rebuilt,
And even though they have a bunch of new parts, and are blasted/painted etc.
A set of ATEs will go on at the time.

So don’t bother... Just replace with new ATE and be done.

What’s That Noise?!?
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

Clatter, thanks!
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

Posting back with the outcome...

I got the Cardone calipers from Rockauto installed and they are working nicely. We had to bend up new metal tubes as expected.

It turns out that most of the rest of the brake stuff was worn out, so unexpectedly I also got new rotors, drums, shoes, brake cylinders. It was challenging to get good quality of these parts locally but I was able to get German wheel cylinders, German drums (Zimmerman) and TRW rotors.

Back to the calipers.. These were sold as rebuilt Girlings. They are actually new Chinese ATE style calipers. I'm not sure why they want my cores back, but I will be sending them soon ($50 * 2 calipers).

The hydraulic inlet port on one caliper was machined slightly (maybe 1mm) too deep. It did finally seal OK, but the nut on the metal tube is completely flush with the caliper. The other caliper was fine.

If I was going to do this again, I would buy the calipers from Autozone, which I think are also new and Chinese and check the depth of the inlet ports. If they're not perfect, it's easier to exchange in person, also no shipping of cores.

Thanks for all the help. The bus is braking well now and no funny sounds!

Mark
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

My bus has one Girling and one ATE, and the cross shaped springs both sides.

Passes the UK MOT "vehicle safety" test which requires balanced brake operation.

I ended up making my own version of plate 6A for Girling out of some 20 thou thick stainless sheet, complete with the anti-squeal cutout.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:

I ended up making my own version of plate 6A for Girling out of some 20 thou thick stainless sheet, complete with the anti-squeal cutout.

Interesting. I didn't install the pads but my friend/long time VW Mechanic said that he doesn't use those anymore and that the new pads come with plastic backs that no longer need them.

I've been running this way for a few days and no ill-effects so far.

Mark
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

You only need the correct retainer plate if your calipers have the OE style pistons with the cutouts. The retainer kept the piston from rotating and the cutout portion in the right position. If the new semi correct calipers have a consistently flat face you only need to use whatever noise insulators come with the new pads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
apophasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

I have the early style ATE calipers on my '71; is there a source for those piston-locking retaining plates? I would love a stainless set, if somebody's making them.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

apophasis wrote:
I have the early style ATE calipers on my '71; is there a source for those piston-locking retaining plates? I would love a stainless set, if somebody's making them.

At last chek, Bus Depot had the pad shims with the piston cut-outs. Because they had only right side shims, i.e. left inner and right outer, they instructed you to knock the tabs out through the other side of the plate to give you left outer and right inner shims.
Colin
apophasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
apophasis wrote:

At last chek, Bus Depot had the pad shims with the piston cut-outs...

Thanks, Colin, but just called them and they acted like they'd never heard of them, said it must have been a while ago. I'm about at the point of just making a set for myself out of stainless like mikedjames did... Seems like somebody ought to make a run of these. If I can get an original set, I'd like to copy them in stainless... Local shops have none.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

part numbers for 1971 T2 & later up to T3 ATE disc anti-rotation plates are

left 211-615-231
right 211-615-232

A quick Google found at least 4 sources in one minute worth of searching who show in stock on their webpage. There are also places who show out of stock. Prices in stock vary from $4 to $16.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Bus Front Caliper Girling ATE interchange Reply with quote

apophasis wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
apophasis wrote:

At last chek, Bus Depot had the pad shims with the piston cut-outs...

Thanks, Colin, but just called them and they acted like they'd never heard of them, said it must have been a while ago. I'm about at the point of just making a set for myself out of stainless like mikedjames did... Seems like somebody ought to make a run of these. If I can get an original set, I'd like to copy them in stainless... Local shops have none.

I just saw them listed yesterday when I was looking for stuff for my 74.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: