Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who's a Plumber Out There?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Who's a Plumber Out There? Reply with quote

I am a plumber but never have worked on a pump based system or even a booster. We are on city pressure and it is against the law to add to the pressure.

Anyways, helping out the in-laws, they are on a pump. If that pump runs dry, some pumps have an auto off safety switch to keep the pump from overheating when no water is in the pump. Maybe that safety has a false signal?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Who's a Plumber Out There? Reply with quote

Finally fixed! Well a guy who knows a Lot more about electronics helped me out. Despite my false reasoning....my test meter showed 119v coming out from house, showed 119v at pump switch. BUT... and Im ignorant about this part....that is a partial reading of what is apparently 2 legs of a 240v feed. So I switched the motor switch from 120 to 240v and viola! The lower voltage was actually causing immediate heating and kick off of the thermal switch.
Like I said ,plumbing is (seems to be) simple, but crossed with electricity and I'm at a loss!
Anyway the bright side I'm hope somebody will learn from this scenario,like I did, and now it is time to take looong shower!! Thanks everybody!
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's a Plumber Out There? Reply with quote

yeah most pumps are 220v, i didnt catch that in your original post that you tested the voltage as 120, thats great. also the pump is not 'electronic' it is 'electrical' Smile and it is 'voila' not 'viola' unless you played a large violin Laughing Laughing have a nice shower.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's a Plumber Out There? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
yeah most pumps are 220v

Yup.
220, 221-------- whatever it takes.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's a Plumber Out There? Reply with quote

So the bigger question is how did that switch get into the 110v position? Somebody F'ng with you?, big rodents in your pump house?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's a Plumber Out There? Reply with quote

its all ball bearings these days!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Who's a Plumber Out There? Reply with quote

Nobody screwing with me or the pump just my own ignorance of electric wiring principles. Since I read the meter at 119v when I bought the pump the clerk said " 120 or 240volt?", So I got a pump set at 115v .Open the case and there is a switch for choosing 120/240 so I just flipped it once I knew. The old system ran a 20+ year old pump and tank was over 19 years so I opted to just go all new. Was $500 in parts and lots of aggravation, but I prolly saved a couple hundred doing it myself. I wish someone had noticed the voltage issue sooner!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Who's a Plumber Out There? Reply with quote

Whenever I need my car repaired, the first thing I do is call a plumber. Wink
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Who's a Plumber Out There? Reply with quote

Glad you got it fixed, but is it a deep well submerged pump or a shallow well pump next to the pressure tank system?

I'm guessing shallow well as you describe being able to so easily change the voltage setting.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: