Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
BusJunky wrote:
ryans65 wrote:
Great looking bus, hats off to you for bringing that one back and then some!!

Thank you thank you!! By all means, please do roll the dials! Ive decided once im on the road, im going to polish the lips and inside the dials to see how it looks. A little more pop! Theres to much to do yet.

Seeing it outside must have fired you up! It's looking great. That blend on the rear end came out sweet.

I was inspired by you moving yours outside haha! It was the first real warm day of the year and im glad I did. Im really happy with it, maybe even in love with it lol.
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Awesome!!
Any plans for the exhaust yet?

Well, I bought a tubing bender and im going to have a go at building my first turbo header. Ive been working on the wiring when I can. Ive just about got the whole bus rewired.
rfreddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Hello BusJunky,

After seeing your name on my thread (66 Bus Resto) I looked up this thread. Interesting how much we have in common for bus stuff. I put bay bus front disc brakes on mine just to put 944 brakes on it and choose my calipers. Wound up with 4 piston Willwoods on the front. On the rear I used a Bus Boys IRS kit using Bay bus hubs. Wound up building my own disc brakes with 944 rotors and drum parking brakes. I also have a 901 5 speed in mine, but I used a side shift with cable shifter. Don't miss the shifter down the tube to the 2 1/2 foot shifter at all. I also wanted to go to 100mm CV's but there is only one year that spline had 100mm CV's and they are impossible to find. Type 4 CV's have the most travel. Have seen some real hack jobs. Wound up cutting the flange off and modifying bug 100mm flange and having a real welder type weld them up.

Also building an upright type 4 2.0L with my own version of down the middle cooling.

When I posted in my thread about respecting anyone who does this - you have got to be on top of the list - Fantastic job. Having a lady that's interested and involved is really great.

Nice job - rfreddy

Some pics
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

I took my deluxe clock apart and cleaned it throughly, re soldered the fuse link and cleaned all the contacts. Then i polished the bezel and painted the inner frame. The plexi glass cover was really marred, i polished it the best i could and put it back together! Its looks pretty good and works great!

My steering wheel was shattered in like 15 different places. I put it back together like a jigsaw puzzle and used some new epoxy i found at the hardware store. I also used a dremel and where ever a crack was, i ground it out and used epoxy as a filler. I sanded everything smooth before the epoxy had totally cured. Then a few coats of filler primer then paint. Im really bad at documenting stuff. Sorry! Trust me, it was in terrible condition.

I got the dash buffed out. Got my switches installed and some gauges. I painted the knobs to clean stuff up. Ive got my entire wiring harness installed and ready for battery. I had a new VW key cut and when it gets here ill see if everything works. Fingers crossed! Lol.

type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Both the clock and steering wheel look killer! It has been hard for me to realize this over the past few months of putting the 15 window back together, but it really is the little details that add up to the big picture. Looking back on where you started, it must be kind of hard to believe you're at this point!! Keep it up Very Happy

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

BusJunky wrote:
My steering wheel was shattered in like 15 different places. I put it back together like a jigsaw puzzle and used some new epoxy i found at the hardware store. I also used a dremel and where ever a crack was, i ground it out and used epoxy as a filler. I sanded everything smooth before the epoxy had totally cured. Then a few coats of filler primer then paint. Im really bad at documenting stuff. Sorry! Trust me, it was in terrible condition.

I thought about doing the same or similar job on my SC's steering wheel, as the casting is long gone. But, since the steering wheel is right in your face, I might lean on someone else's skill in bringing it back to life---don't want to be reminded every time I drive of my [lack of] re-casting skills hahaha.

You did a great job so far as I can tell! Badass work all around - keep at it!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:
Both the clock and steering wheel look killer! It has been hard for me to realize this over the past few months of putting the 15 window back together, but it really is the little details that add up to the big picture. Looking back on where you started, it must be kind of hard to believe you're at this point!! Keep it up Very Happy

If not “THE” best, it certainly ranks right up there with the top come back from the left for dead buses ever! Surprised
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

What ^^^he said X^^^.
BusJunky wrote:
I took my deluxe clock apart... and put it back together!

How did you do the bezel removal and repressing the back of it?
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:

Thanks, man! As you can see the welding takes a long time and as you get close to finishing all the welding it feels like your about done with the whole project. Gathering all the missing parts and restoring them takes quite a bit of effort too! You and your Dad have done a excellent job and its been a real pleasure sharing the board with you guys over the last two years. We're both "almost there"
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
type2rescuemaine wrote:

If not “THE” best, it certainly ranks right up there with the top come back from the left for dead buses ever! Surprised

Thanks, Pyro!! Theres some incredibly skilled bus builders on this board! I feel like im pretty good with a welder, but theres some other builds on here that are mind boggling and ill continue to hone in on my skills. Alot of times i want to compare my work to the best, people who've been doing this their whole lives. But thats a unfair comparison.
Im hoping to have the bus done by June and whenever the project has beat me down and i dont want to work on it, having you guys chime in with kind words really does make me want to keep going. For sanity reasons, I hope I never tackle such a rough bus again. I totally would if it was a barndoor tho lol.
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
What ^^^he said X^^^.
BusJunky wrote:
I took my deluxe clock apart... and put it back together!

How did you do the bezel removal and repressing the back of it?

Thank you, Barry!
I used a set of mirco screw drivers from a glasses repair set. I just slowly worked the back of the bezel with a tiny flathead until i was able to slide it off.
I crimped it back together using a pair of pliers, but wrapped one side of them in electrical tape so it wouldnt gouge the finish. I just went really slow. Its far from concours, but the inside of my bus is starting to look really nice. I plan to drive it every chance I get!!
rfreddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

I'm with pyrOman.

It's hard to weld tin without warping - You've done a fantastic job of saving that bus.

My welds have very rarely been pretty, but they are good. As I have gotten older sometimes my hands get the shakes when I am really focused so pretty has gone out the window.

Great job
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

I thought about doing the same or similar job on my SC's steering wheel, as the casting is long gone. But, since the steering wheel is right in your face, I might lean on someone else's skill in bringing it back to life---don't want to be reminded every time I drive of my [lack of] re-casting skills hahaha.

You did a great job so far as I can tell! Badass work all around - keep at it![/quote]
I pulled this steering wheel from a 1956 or 7 panel bus thats rotted into the ground out at a friends house. Nearly the whole bus is buried underground and this steering wheel had been poking out like a tombstone for the last 10 years. I cut the steering shaft off and soaked the hub in PB Blaster for a week. The steering wheel was all intact when i got it, but had multiple stress cracks. After soaking a week I put the steering wheel between my legs and tapped the center shaft with a hammer to seperate the two. The hub came apart in pieces after the first tap. Thankfully I had all the pieces at hand to put it back together. Id say of ya got all the pieces, give it a go! Painting a steering wheel isnt the best way to fix it, but I put about 4 layers of clear coat on the paint. So it should hold up for a very long time before it starts looking worn out again.
Thanks a lot for the comment!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

BusJunky wrote:
The hub came apart in pieces after the first tap. Thankfully I had all the pieces at hand to put it back together.

That metal part has been in pieces? If so I can't tell. If it is the metal part will it stay together while steering or parking?
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
BusJunky wrote:
The hub came apart in pieces after the first tap. Thankfully I had all the pieces at hand to put it back together.

That metal part has been in pieces? If so I can't tell. If it is the metal part will it stay together while steering or parking?

Nooo! Lol. Just the coating. The hub and frame were fine. That'd be scary.
rfreddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Well BusJunky,

I'm inspired - started work on mini tubs today.

BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

rfreddy wrote:
Well BusJunky,

I'm inspired - started work on mini tubs today.

Good luck, buddy!!
BusJunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

There shall be lights!!

Nothing caught fire, today was a good day!!
Everything werks.

Culito

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

BusJunky wrote:
Nothing caught fire

That's about all we can hope for, eh?
Looks fantastic!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
braddick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Typewriter Business Pumpkin Bus Reply with quote

Looking bloody awesome mate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: