Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

32 34 pdsit dies at idle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

Repost

Last edited by krisbeetle on Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

7 gram, black float...

See reference about foam on here ?... never seen one.... but this is plastic
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

I have seen the metal part of the float get bent (longer) if the pivot was seized and someone forced it so it unwound the part that rolls around the pivot pin, it may just need a little careful work with needlenose pliers.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

Post pictures please. Are you saying the float is rubbing on the side of the bowl opposite of the metal tab?

Is the metal tab in place on both carbs above the float arm? Also, the float could simply have swelled.

If you post some pictures we can resolve this pretty quickly.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

krisbeetle wrote:

1974 stock pdsit duals.

A) it fires up just fine.
B) have to give the gas pedal and tend to it until it is fairly warm
C) slowly start todie after 3 to 5 seconds.
revs will still rise and fall a little until it's totally warmed up...
D) then it's fine...

a) chokes are indeed fine
b) fast idle links need an adjustment
c) you need to verify that the intake air preheater thermostatic valve is functional and the preheater valve diaphragm works and the heated air duct from cylinder #1 is functional

The central idling circuit should have an enrichment box located on the left carb with a heater wire going to it. Yes, the chokes will give you a good start from cold, but the central idling circuit will start to come in as the fast idle cams punch down, you need a sufficient mixture through the central idling circuit.

With all that you wrote, I think your idle parameters need less fuel through the dual carbs and more fuel through the central idling circuit. So sorry that someone cut off the plunger.
Colin
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
Post pictures please. Are you saying the float is rubbing on the side of the bowl opposite of the metal tab?

Is the metal tab in place on both carbs above the float arm? Also, the float could simply have swelled.

If you post some pictures we can resolve this pretty quickly.

That is correct, float is rubbing on bowl opposite the tab.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can see the gasket and aftermarket needle

Going to try to source new float or whole carb from buddy as throttle shaft could have a bit of play...

Also.... the accelerator pump nozzle reappears missing?
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

What does the one in the other carb look like? Something looks weird about that float -- may just be a knock off or simply just swollen, or the tab has been bent to try to get the float right. Once you bend the tabs on these its disastrous. Does it run on the end and prevent it from rising? Can you take the gasket off the lid, and put it on the base and see if the float rubs that as well?

The gasket looks like part of the walker kit, so thats actually a decent gasket. Those needle valves aren't great either. Maybe whoever owned this before tried to rebuild them with the walker kit, and bent the tab to try to get the float right.

If you want to do this right, I wouldnt bother buying new carb bodies -- I'd send your carbs to Tim @ Volkzbitz and have them redone. They'll look like this when you get them back.

Then I'd get a new Walker kit for fresh gaskets, and two NOS Solex needle valves. Do you have the collars on your idle jet solenoids?

Where are you located?
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

Update, finally got it running well... idling/ cold starting well....after getting a carb with no throttle shaft play. And part of the culprit seemed to be the idle air circuit was adjusted a bit low....

Thanks xyzzy!

Have floats set at 14mm...

Bought a new fuel pressure guage... electric pump puts out just shy of 5 psi not running... 4.5 at idle... and would be curious what it's at under demand... but from working acceleration pumps a bunch.... it would get down around 3 psi or under....

The problem that I have is that it still seems to run rich a bit.... once it's warmed up it seems pretty good.....

When im rev it up a bit, on the deceleration it plooms a bit of rich fuel smoke.... (you can smell it's fuel.. not oil... more blackish/ grey... not blue

Holding at constant rpm seems pretty good...

Sometimes at idle it acts up... and other times I can review it up and it's not bad... sometimes it's bad.... kind of not consistent. ... colder is worse.... with chokes off even.... kinda scratching head...

I have disconnected fuel pump fuse and verifying with my guage down to 2 psi.... and lower...

It does the same thing.... plooms rich mixture after revving up and upon decelration.... seems good the other times... have stock solex float needle in right side....

When it's really warm... not as bad.... which doesn't really make sense...

Thought Left side could be sticking however have pulled the top off a couple of times and float levels are good.... hmmmm

Additional info I did not add before... it has a mechanical advance distributor... the big idle air screw is at 1 1/2 turns... so that it idles low enough to be acceptable...

Any ideas as to what is going on?
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

The general thesis behind Colin's tuning procedure is that you want the carbs slightly lean, and the central idle slightly rich to compensate. Of course this is all designed around the DVDA distributor.

Make sure you follow Colin's tuning procedure -- what is your reference hose saying at idle?
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

Have you tried the idle adjustment procedure in the Bentley? What do the o-rings on your idle mixture screw and idle speed screw look like? Maybe the o-rings need to be replaced and then you could follow the Bentley procedure?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

So what your saying is I need the pdist wizard to re engineer the tuning guide around this distributor.... or find a dvda?

Colin,! Lol

I had a thought yesterday that perhaps due to measuring technique perhaps popping of top was giving richer float levels than I though....

I got some 2 mm shims instead of the 1mm that was under valve seats...

Seemed to clear up the excessive revving/ richnissue.... whent for a quick rip... good power... seemed to run a bit better... I know float levels are critical... and you can only turn those 4 screws around so much to get no change....

I WILL check those rubber of rings... thank you for the tip....
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

Also I know it's going to be different for most people.... but how thick of shims did you settle on under needle seat?

Also did you have thin or thick gasket?

Just wanting to make sure I'm in the ball park....
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

krisbeetle wrote:
Also I know it's going to be different for most people.... but how thick of shims did you settle on under needle seat?

Also did you have thin or thick gasket?

Just wanting to make sure I'm in the ball park....

I use the gaskets from the walker kit, which are quite thin, and a 0.5mm washer under NOS Solex Needle valves in order to get the floats in the correct 12-14mm.
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 32 34 pdsit dies at idle Reply with quote

Hmmm.... ok.... I have same thick Walker gaskets....i may be going back to thinner washers after I put fuel pressure regulator on today to get psi down to 1.5 to 2.... down from current 5 psi

Do find you run a bit rich at that setting or perfect?
I've read your thread you seem to have them dialed to perfection...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: