Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Just for the record Bill, the Artist who did that pump, was truly the one who donated his expertise here on that fuel pump refurb.

I’m sure he can get you setup on the delivery. That engine does look sweet.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
...You really want to run an original used fuel pump bakelite stand. The aftermarkets are poor (shocking!) and can be different heights as well. Check the document below. Use a 108MM generator pushrod. Then follow the directions in that document. You want the pushrod to be sticking up above the bakelite stand 13mm at it's highest travel...

Thanks Bill. Excellent and clear all around. All the info. greatly appreciated.
Parts ordered, including a bakelite OE stand.

After everything arrives, it'll just be a matter of finding time, but I look forward to getting the pump in, and getting the distributor aligned correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Parts ordered, including a bakelite OE stand.

Measure the thickness when it comes. The aftermarket ones have been notoriously not as tall as originals.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Great time at the S.O.T.O. Spring Meet -
Sacramento, CA Sunday, March 31st, 2019.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Perfect weather, and it is nice to go to a meet that starts at 9:00am so that we don't have to get up super early to get to it.

Sure, this was 83 miles from us, but that's not far at all.

As always with S.O.T.O meets there were a huge variety of split-buses in all shapes and sizes, stock to custom to "patinaed"...

It's always so great to meet up with new folks, as well as great bus owners that we've met in the past.
We were honored to happen to be parked next to Clara and Greg at this meet.
I'm always in such awe of Clara's friendly and helpful expertise on TheSamba.

Since the meet had plenty of space, we put up the shade from BusDepot that we have. A lot of people asked about it.
It's been excellent, and for about $210 (that's including shipping), we've found the full-sized (Ezy Awning Plus) has really been nice if we're camping and/or parked for awhile.

I know I write this after every meet, but I so love to meet folks, check out their buses and see how/what they enjoy about their VWs.
It's always a kick to observe the contrasts and passions.

As always, I tried to take a lot of snap-shot photos. If you were there and I missed one of your bus, apologies, but here's the "Summary View" of what I took:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...ts=summary

Whether we got to catch up, or meet for the first time, it was great to see everyone.
HUGE thanks for all the kind S.O.T.O. folks who put on this great meet!

...after the meet Kathy and I went to meet some local friends at Pangaea Bier Cafe in Sacramento.
Along with terrific beer(s), we had one of the best friend chicken sandwiches I have had in quite awhile.

Gas mile average for this trip was: 20.22 mpg.

Hope to see all of you split-bus Samba folks at Red Barn (April 13, 2019 - Red Barn VW Swap Meet, Watsonville, California), which should be the next time we make it to a VW meet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese, you both look so happy I have got to move back to CA and 20.22 mpg is great! Is that a 1500 DP or 1600 DP in your Westy?

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
DadaCheese, you both look so happy I have got to move back to CA and 20.22 mpg is great! Is that a 1500 DP or 1600 DP?

Thanks, LAGrunthaner. We've got a not-original-to-the-bus 1600 single port, with a doghouse cooler. I'm fairly certain that with the exception of the doghouse, 1600 SP was stock for '67 Westfalias.
It's fairly dialed in; correct distributor and carburetor these days, and soon, the correct fuel pump too.

It's no surprise that we were pretty happy at the meet; aside from visiting with all the great people there, it was also wonderful to be out in the sun. It's raining here in the Bay Area again yesterday and today.

Last edited by DadaCheese on Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

The 1600cc was introduced in 1970 I think. a '67 bus had a 1500.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Embarassed
Thanks Crofty.

Ooof... I can't even imagine what that would have been like.
It seems tough enough sometimes with a 1600 (although for long, flat stretches we're often cruising a little below 65 m.p.h., despite anything that the John Muir guide tried to teach me in my youth).

Kathy's '71 Ghia has a souped up 1901(?) 1903(?) with dual-Kardon carbs from the Previous Owner.
If I drive the Ghia, and then switch back to The Toaster, the difference is day and night naturally.

Every once in awhile I think of whether having a 1776 for the bus would be nice, or not, but if it would require changes to the transmission (does it? Different internal gearing recomended versus the stock gearing we currently have?) then it's a no-go for me/us. "Stock" is nice in my book, but I'm not willing to go back down to a 1500 after having been using 1600 engine(s) for the past 25+ years.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
crofty wrote:

Embarassed
Thanks Crofty.

Ooof... I can't even imagine what that would have been like.
It seems tough enough sometimes with a 1600 (although for long, flat stretches we're often cruising a little below 65 m.p.h., despite anything that the John Muir guide tried to teach me in my youth).

Kathy's '71 Ghia has a souped up 1901(?) 1903(?) with dual-Kardon carbs from the Previous Owner.
If I drive the Ghia, and then switch back to The Toaster, the difference is day and night naturally.

Every once in awhile I think of whether having a 1776 for the bus would be nice, or not, but if it would require changes to the transmission (does it? Different internal gearing recomended versus the stock gearing we currently have?) then it's a no-go for me/us. "Stock" is nice in my book, but I'm not willing to go back down to a 1500 after having been using 1600 engine(s) for the past 25+ years.

You mean 68? Didn't the first bay have a 1600? If not then the 66 Type 3 Square/Fasty had a SP Dual Carb 1600 and the 67 T3 had a DP 1600.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
crofty wrote:

You mean 68? Didn't the first bay have a 1600? If not then the 66 Type 3 Square/Fasty had a SP Dual Carb 1600 and the 67 T3 had a DP 1600.

According to Wikipedia (and I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the wikipedia page):

Quote:
The 1.6 l engine is called Typ 126. It has a displacement of 1584 cm3. Was based on the 1500 with the cylinder bore increased to 85.5 mm. The stroke remained unchanged at 69 mm.

Single port
The 1600 single port was used on the following models:

1966 Type 3
    1968–1970 Type 2
    1970 Beetle (US only)
    1970 Karmann Ghia (US only)
    Twin port

The 1600 dual port was used on the following models:

1967-1973 Type 3
    1971 onwards Type 2 (only 1971 in USA – superseded by Type 4 engine)
    1971–1979 Beetle
    1971–1974 Karmann Ghia
    1971–1989 VW Puma

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_air-cooled_engine

As to "The Toaster"; yep, looks like it had a 1500:

I'm not sure what the "H" refers to, however.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

most vw motors have a letter in front of the number

many 40 horse 1200 cc had a "D"
1500 was an H
1600 single was a B

and so on. it is all in the technical section up top

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

I was just going by memory then looked at the owners manual for a 68 bus Laughing

I knew for sure about the Type 3 stuff though. The 67 Type 3 DP heads went on to be used for the later DP Bays.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Yep, my bad.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Yep, my bad.

Nope; mine. I've been living under a delusion for years that 1967 Westfalias came stock with a 1600.

That's why I love TheSamba so much; so much shared knowledge and so many folks with expertise that I may never acquire.

Also, Crofty, have we ever been at the same meet(s) at the same time?
I just feel that if we haven't met, we will eventually.
...OR, I have met you a dozen times without realizing it (which is more likely with my addled brain).
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
crofty wrote:
Yep, my bad.

Nope; mine. I've been living under a delusion for years that 1967 Westfalias came stock with a 1600.

That's why I love TheSamba so much; so much shared knowledge and so many folks with expertise that I may never acquire.

Also, Crofty, have we ever been at the same meet(s) at the same time?
I just feel that if we haven't met, we will eventually.
...OR, I have met you a dozen times without realizing it (which is more likely with my addled brain).

We have and may have met, i'm not sure. I tend to stay in the swap part of shows more than the show car area.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

I love that 1500 engine, low stress but good ooomph.

I’ve got one sitting in my garage for my Beetle project

I’ll cry when it detonates.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

It's been a very Volkswagen-y month.

This past weekend Kathy and I were able to take the Toaster to two of three major events that happen in the Spring around here over this past weekend.

The folks that put on the Kelly Park meet each year in San Jose, CA are:
The Golden Gate Chapter of the Vintage Volkswagen Club of America (GGCVVWCA)

They have wonderful members and organizers and all around are a fantastic group.
If we didn't have to fight terrible traffic to get to the San Jose area, I'd consider trying to join their club to attend more get-togethers.

Thankfully, however, we have friends and acquaintances who are members, and we were told we'd be welcome to attend the open house of one of their members, Mark M.

This was one of the highlights of the year for us, because it felt like we were essentially in an air-cooled VW museum, except that it is also a working, living, personally-owned restoration shop.

Not only are there many rarest of rare vehicles in Mark's collection, there are also a great many in progress projects. It is truly a dream space, and we felt very appreciative to have had the chance to view it. Thank you Mark, and thanks too to our friends who are members of the GGCVVWCA.

I could have taken a lot more pictures, but I wanted to respect Mark's hospitality, but most of all have time to talk to our friends and meet other VW enthusiasts too.
Here's a small smattering, however:

There's a couple more photos from Friday night that I took. You can find them here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...ts=summary

As we enjoyed the collection, BulliBill (who was out for the weekend of events) introduced us to some friends of his from Phoenix that were traveling. Instead of going to Saturday's Red Barn with their beautiful Bay window Westy (named: "Sandy"), they were hoping to visit Muir Woods. Since our place is much closer to Muir Woods than the Jan Jose area, we made the offer that they could use our guest room to further their adventure more easily the next day. They took us up on it. Regretfully we didn't get to see them again on Saturday, since Kathy and I were up early to drive down to Watsonville where the "Red Barn" parts swap VW meet was happening at the Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds.

There's another venue that the meet used to be held at which is actually a Red Barn, but the name has remained despite the new(er) location for the meet.
It was our first time for us to this meet.

Here's some random photos:

For all the rest of the photos I've posted from Red Barn, go here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...ts=summary

We enjoyed Red Barn very much. We hadn't been before, so it was great to finally get to go. Although there was a lot of parts for sale, I'd say that as far as parts swap meets, it is dwarfed in size by either of the two Sacramento Bug-o-Rama summer meets. I imagine this wasn't always the case, and/or this one may have been smaller then is typical(?).
Either way, it was a great time.

...from there Kathy and I launched out to Gilroy to have a lunch teeming with garlic (Gilroy is the; "garlic capital of the world"), went to antique shops, ended up at a winery for a tasting and eventually made it back home.

Although we love the Kelly Park meet, we didn't attend this year on Sunday; close friends of ours were having a house-warming that we didn't want to miss, and I think that THREE VW meets in one weekend might be over the limit for Kathy.

I haven't checked the gas mileage yet for The Toaster, but we did a total of 300 miles over the weekend according to Google Maps.

To everyone that we DID get to see and chat to this past weekend; great to see you again and/or meet you.

I don't think we have anything else specifically planned (that we know for a fact we're attending) until Father's Day Weekend in June; the "Camp & Shine" meet in Lakeport, CA. There's an O.C.T.O. and a Bug-o-Rama before that, however, so we'll see...

April is/was my birthday month. Some friends of ours got these shirts for me. They're from UNICLO and are "officially licenced":

...also, my mom asked me what I'd like for my birthday.
I had been needing a new lunchbag, and found this one (below) online.

She bought it as a gift and it arrived today.
It's wonderful (also on the small-side, however, which wasn't too obvious on the website).
Plenty of room for cheese, however, and I plan to use it a lot.
Thanks mom!

I hope everyone's out enjoying their split-buses.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for dinner and salutations last night Toaster.

From a guy who “ cut back in travel” but just hit the 4 M miles flown mark

Shocked Embarassed
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

"Camp & Shine" Lakeport, CA June 15th, 2019

Haven't posted anything in awhile, have just been lurking when/if I have had time.
My day job has been busy with a lot of projects, and at home we've been finishing some (non-VW) projects too.

Which is why it was so wonderful to make it to one of our favorite VW shows this past weekend; "Camp & Shine".

The Toaster (behind the silver Ghia) hanging out with friends:

The communal camping and sharing of food is always fantastic for those who camp, and the show its self is always a relaxed pace with friendly folks.

What's more, is that it is held on father's day weekend, which is also when the local symphony has its annual Homemade Wine and Beer Festival fundraiser right next to the show, so if you want to try a lot of one-of-a-kind beers and wines, you can spend part of the show walking around that.

It's the folks that put on this show that cause it to be an inviting, friendly and relaxed. The last part of the Saturday show includes not only the participant adjudicated awards, but also a raffle for a large variety of prizes (everything from; "I really want to win that," to "hey, that'd be useful," to, "this prize is hilarious!"

The weather was warm (about 80 degrees most of the middle of the day), but there's always plenty of shade there at the park alongside the lake.

There was a great turn out of double and single split cabs this year

The show is big enough to get to see a few amazing/rare and/or customized VWs, but also small enough that everyone there gets to really feel like a part of the community. I enjoy seeing everything, but I naturally have a soft-spot in my heart for well-worn/well-loved daily drivers that make it to shows.

It's always great to get the chance to talk to folks about their VWs, see what they have been up to, etc.

As we always do at Lakeport, we shared fondue while camping at the meet (Ron H. took these fondue photos).

Although we never expect (or really try, either) to win awards at meets, we were once again humbled and appreciative to have been voted to win 2nd place for Stock Split Bus.

I'm sure I didn't get a picture of every car at the meet, but I did try to get a lot of snapshot photos. The ones I took, and any that other Samba folks have added, should be in this gallery:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...ts=summary

Oh; another highlight from this year is that after folks were done eating Friday night, many of us walked over to the roller-skating rink (also there at the Fairgrounds where the camping was happening) and got to roller-skate; something I haven't done in perhaps 15+ years.

We had to leave after the Saturday show to go to a friend's 50th birthday in Nevada City, CA.
Total round-trip for us was 349 miles this past weekend, we averaged 19.45 mpg.

Need to check my calendar and various fliers to see what our next VW outing is going to be.

Hope to see you all out on the road!

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

I was missing my piece of toast in the morning Samba read....

Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 47

Jump to: