Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another new scam?
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Another new scam? Reply with quote

I have been selling parts on the Samba, quite successfully I might add. Recently I have been getting emails from "samba visitor" just saying they are interested in a part for sale. The last 3 have been for the same part. I have had 4 so far. The emails just say they are interested and will I ship it to Ca. A couple have asked me to contact them, they included a phone number to call. Looking close the names don't always match in spelling or are variations of the name. All I have done is send them a shipping estimate and tell them I accept PayPal. I havn't heard back from any of them. Anyone else get emails like this?
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: another new scam?? Reply with quote

Have you checked out EverettB's FAQ? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253

Every time I send a seller a request on a part I always send a copy to myself. It still shows up as "A visitor to TheSamba.com has replied to your ad for:", but at the bottom of the request it shows my user ID and a link to my profile. I'm not sure if it only does that if I'm signed in at the time (usually am).

If they ask a question, but don't respond again it's probably a scam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: another new scam?? Reply with quote

The Classifieds does not require someone to have an account or be logged in to contact a seller.

If they have an account for their email, even if they are not logged in, it will be mentioned in the email you get to your ad.

I suspect you mean you are getting emails from people who do not have an account.
This does not mean it's a scam, it could simply be someone without an account

If you have any questions about an email you got, feel free to forward it to me.

I looked at your recent ad emails through the site and I'm a little confused because you have gotten a few emails this past week but they were all from registered users who have been on the site for years. They all look legitimate to me.

If they did not reply to you, that is strange but maybe they didn't get your reply or they flaked out for some reason.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Elroyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another new scam? Reply with quote

I received a message last week from a registered user who simply said they wanted to buy a part I have listed.
My response was ignored. My follow up, asking if maybe my response went into their spam fiolder was also ignored (but if it went to the spam folder, would they get the second message?).

If it's a scam, I can't see how not communicating works to their advantage.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another new scam? Reply with quote

Elroyyy wrote:
I received a message last week from a registered user who simply said they wanted to buy a part I have listed.
My response was ignored. My follow up, asking if maybe my response went into their spam fiolder was also ignored (but if it went to the spam folder, would they get the second message?).

It might go to Spam too, if that's what happened

Elroyyy wrote:
If it's a scam, I can't see how not communicating works to their advantage.

A good point.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: