Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Discussion continued from the LOWLIGHT FLOOR MATS - THE SOLUTION! , per John's request:

The aussie Trimmer wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Remember I am the second owner. I feel I have to respect Betty's 49 years of love and commitment to this car where the choices to keep her "Baby" on the road were few. Parts were sourced from wherever they could be found...it's a survivor, not a correct museum piece. Smile

..anyway the mats are lovely.

AH, but when Betty came to replace the panels and seat covers there was no one who could put it back to original, No original insert cloth, No original door panel and rear side panels. Betty would have just taken what she was told was available at the time.
She would be over the moon to know her little car was refurbished to what it was when she drove it out of the showroom all those years ago and would have loved those original reproduction rubber matting too.

Actually I would be interested to see what's under those covers; might be a big surprise to all or its the Shabby remnants of the original covers.

Betty would be pleased that you are looking after the old girl and bringing her back to her original condition.

I couldn't have said it better, nor agree with the sentiment more whole-heartedly.

As an artist, Betty had a true appreciation for fine lines and elegant style.
That is the main reason, I suspect, that she purchased a Karmann Ghia all those years ago.

I suspect that most artists are perfectionists at heart, and whenever possible will continue to rework even the smallest portion of their artwork until it finally and fully meets their highet standards and greatest expectations.
When Betty reworked her Karmann Ghia's interior BITD, she no doubt did the best with what materials/services were available to her at the time.
I suspect, though, that had she owned the Ghia long enough to take advantage of The aussie Trimmer's services, she would have jumped at the chance to rework the interior portion of her Karmann Ghia rolling sculpture back much closer to its original elegant design.

Obviously, though, any possible interior refurbishment would have to stop when it came to replacment of that Oh-SO-sweetly aged and crackled OG shift knob!

Just my opinion, of course, completely worthless as it is.
... but as a potential future caretaker of Betty's Black Beauty (presuming that your future widow and I can come to proper terms), I did feel the need to express my opinion on the matter. Wink
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
...I did feel the need to express my opinion on the matter. Wink

Thank you for your interest and carefully explained reasoning. It will be filed away for future reference. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Sounds like he just wants you to make it 100% correct before you kick the bucket while he's waiting to vulture your car. Laughing Make sure that He's not conspiring with your wife about your "untimely demise". Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:
...I did feel the need to express my opinion on the matter. Wink

Thank you for your interest and carefully explained reasoning. It will be filed away for future reference. Laughing

I set the "From" to "Sarcasm" and the "To" to "Truthful", then fed your respose into Google Translate.

Google Translate wrote:
Your uninvited comments were carefully recorded on paper and have been filed away for future use should I ever fail to replace the empty toilet paper roll before I sit down."

Shocked

Fine. Confused

Seriously, though, I completely understand your position on trying to continue on caring for your lovely vintage Karmann Ghia as its former original owner Betty would have done and I sincerely applaud those efforts.

With that in mind, though, perhaps you should have converted your black shifter and e-brake boots to grey ...

John Moxon wrote:
Rather than buy the far from easy to find grey gear lever and handbrake boots I've used a spray colour dye. This was sourced here in the UK: https://www.vinyldye.co.uk/All-Vinyl-Dye-Color-Sprays/Light%20Grey-Vinyl-Dye-Plastic-Paint-By-TRG

Black to Grey. Quite successful I think.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has to cure/harden for 24 hours so still to discover how flexible it proves to be.

... using water colors, as I seem to recall that was Betty's preferred artistic medium.

Wink

Keep up the fine work in the New Year, John!

I look forward to seeing many more of those artisticly crafted photos of your lovely lowlight Karmann Ghia in the wilds of the British countryside in 2019.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Nice little accessory arrived in the post yesterday. Thank you Luis. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

What, no beautifully artisitic photo of the new keychain against the scenic backdrop of rural England?

It's barely a week into the new year, and you're already slipping John.

Wink
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
What, no beautifully artisitic photo of the new keychain against the scenic backdrop of rural England?

It's barely a week into the new year, and you're already slipping John.

Wink

I didn't want to get road salt on the key. It's been chilly in the morning and overcast most of the day. As soon as we have a bright day, I'll be out taking scenic shots of the key-ring in a rural setting. Very Happy
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Cloudy most of the week but today...sunshine. Very Happy

Longstock, Hampshire.

Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

BEAT 10?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
BEAT 10?

A beat is a stretch of the river for which you have to pay to fish. This river, The River Test in Hampshire is a very expensive.

https://www.upstreamdryfly.com/our_beats/private-estate-beats-middle-river-test/
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Jacks wrote:
BEAT 10?

A beat is a stretch of the river for which you have to pay to fish. This river, The River Test in Hampshire is a very expensive.

https://www.upstreamdryfly.com/our_beats/private-estate-beats-middle-river-test/

Well that explains where you can get the fish, ...

... but where can you go to catch the chips?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

... but where can you go to catch the chips?

Wood chips are plentiful in this area...no problem. Wink
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Gave my Ghia a run this morning...it's 61 years old today. Smile

djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Swooooooon Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Gave my Ghia a run this morning...it's 61 years old today. Smile

If your Ghia were bathed in warm sunlight rather than being shaded by a tree, that photo would be a Masterpiece rather than just the "work of art" that it is.

Oh, and BTW, Happy Birthday to your lovely Karmann Ghia.
Coincidentally, my birth certificate indcates that I was completed 56 years ago yesterday.

John Moxon wrote:

I was going to comment that this photo was your best work to date, ...

... but then when I started to recall some of your previous efforts posted here, I quickly realized it may actually be impossble for me to choose just one of them as "your best work".

I can at least say that photo has perhaps the most dramatic looking skyline thus far. Smile
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

No need to swoon Dwayne...you still have your beauty. Smile

Thanks for the compliments Daryl. Smile

Sometimes when you park across someone's driveway you don't have time to wait for the sun to traverse the sky for a more favourable shadow. Wink
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

[size=14]Sometimes when you park across someone's driveway you don't have time to wait for the sun to traverse the sky for a more favourable shadow[/sze]. Wink

Really?

It was my impression that everyone n the U.K. was confoudedly polite and obliging.

Ahh, ... but then again I forgot that waiting for the sun to come out from behind the clouds may actually take weeks over there. Smile

So John, when are you planning on publishing a coffee table book collection of your Karmann Ghia photos?
I'd definitely buy one.
clarkare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Sometimes when you park across someone's driveway you don't have time to wait for the sun to traverse the sky for a more favourable shadow. Wink

John I recall that this question has previously been asked but how do you get such wonderful colour saturation in your photographs ...... or is this a 'Moxon' trade secret
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

clarkare wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
No need to swoon Dwayne...you still have your beauty. :)

Thanks for the compliments Daryl. :)

Sometimes when you park across someone's driveway you don't have time to wait for the sun to traverse the sky for a more favourable shadow. ;)

John I recall that this question has previously been asked but how do you get such wonderful colour saturation in your photographs ...... or is this a 'Moxon' trade secret

If i had to guess I'd say there has to be a filter involved. I'm intrigued by the depth of field.

Perhaps John should start giving the details that professional photographers do: Camera, lens, aperture, filter etc.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
clarkare wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

If i had to guess I'd say there has to be a filter involved. I'm intrigued by the depth of field.

Perhaps John should start giving the details that professional photographers do: Camera, lens, aperture, filter etc.

Well, no "on camera" filters involved although you can get better saturation by simply using a Polarising Filter.

I always shoot in .RAW although it can be argued, these days .jpegs will still give you a very good output so although .RAW is what I prefer jpgs will still do the job if you have a camera without a .RAW setting.

There is so much control over the image it would be difficult to itemize the process and my decision making. To be honest it changes slightly with every picture, just how you envisage the picture on the day.

This screen shot shows you the sort of control you have over your basic image. Glance down at the list of adjustments, (to the right of the picture) you came make to your image. Just move the sliders + or - to get the desired result. That is just one page of 10 pages of adjustments you can make but of course you don't need most of those extra pages.

Photoshop will allow you to open a .jpg in the illustrated "Camera Raw" plug-in and make the same adjustments. It comes as standard with Photoshop. If you don't want to go the full-blown Photoshop route then try Adobe Lightroom. It's a cut-down version of Photoshop that still gives you the same kind of image processing control...and much cheaper.

However the real secret of good photography is good lighting so when the sun shines I'm out with my camera, either walking in the countryside or out driving my Ghia. Selection of locations too plays a big role for me. Most of my Ghia pictures would still be scenic views even without the car so choose your locations carefully. I try to exclude modern cars. If you have a look through my Gallery pictures you'd be hard pressed to put a date on them...not many giveaway details.

I always crop my pictures so there is little run-in from the bottom of the picture. The car sits "in your Face" so to speak. So eliminate some of the foreground if it doesn't contribute anything to the picture. I could go on all day but to be honest a lot of it is personal preference.

Hope that helps. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 46

Jump to: