Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bigger oil filter ( Dumb Question)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Bigger oil filter ( Dumb Question) Reply with quote

Hey Samba,
I know this is a dumb question but i was thinking of putting a bigger spin-on oil filter in my stock 1700cc ( I have a 1972 weekender westy - tintop) .

any suggestions? anyone tried any bigger oil filters?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger oil filter ( Dumb Question) Reply with quote

A bigger filter really doesn't do much for you. Just go to NAPA and get their "Gold" as it is made by WIX. Part #FIL 1521.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger oil filter ( Dumb Question) Reply with quote

I use a mobil one filter but the napa wix is fine too. A larger filter isn't really going to solve anything because the filter as designed did a great job. The best thing you can do for your engine is get in the habit of checking the oil level every time you buy gas for it. You may go 1500 miles and burn no oil then suddenly due to head winds and a hot climb you may burn 1 quart in 200 miles. The only way to catch that is check the oil too each time you add gasoline to the tank.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger oil filter ( Dumb Question) Reply with quote

it would give you more to tool onto. the standard filter is up there pretty tight. Great for if you go off road, but as a city driver......
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger oil filter ( Dumb Question) Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
it would give you more to tool onto. the standard filter is up there pretty tight. Great for if you go off road, but as a city driver......

use a filter wrench that goes on the base.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger oil filter ( Dumb Question) Reply with quote

the 2870A for water-cooled VWs works, not larger but longer, easier to
spin off compared to the factory pumpkin.
They both filter around four quarts of lube so go nuts. 3600 series works too.
(old Ford # I believe)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger oil filter ( Dumb Question) Reply with quote

If you’re thinking that a bigger filter will give you more oil capacity then I’d say the 1/2 pint you’d gain isn’t worth the risk of it being smacked because it sticks down further and reduces your ground clearance
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger oil filter ( Dumb Question) Reply with quote

i may not be bigger, but it might be better

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/canton-25-214...td-o-ring/

i use a canton on my bus (most of the time) lots of flow and 8 microns filtration

i dont know which filter fits because i forget the part # of the one i bought and im far away from it now, but it was recommended by my engine builder and i think the filtration at 8 microns is pretty hard to beat

for example, wix: Max Flow Rate:7-9 GPMNominal Micron Rating:21

canton: 15gpm and 8 micron.

i read somewhere the mobil 1 claimed over a phonecall to get 10 micron, but the webpage rates its efficiency using 30 microns. whatever that means.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger oil filter ( Dumb Question) Reply with quote

If I know I am going to be doing mostly highway driving, as in going coast to coast I will use a Motorcraft Fl-1a or equivalent. Doesn't hang down all that far, but if you are already sagging excessively in the rear you might not want to use one this long.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a Type 4 engine setup for a car and thus has the smaller car heat exchangers.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger oil filter ( Dumb Question) Reply with quote

Yep...in 100'd of thousands of miles driving 411 and 412 cars....with the longer filter....I never had a single problem with anything damaging the oil filter.

And like Wildthings noted...that included many trips spanning the country....dirt roads, gravel roads, industrial districts.

In one particular period of time I drove through so many gravel grade crossings and crappy roads in the deep south that sand and gravel blasted away some of the paint on the front of of my sled tins and some on the leading edge of the oil filter.

Never had a leak or an issue. The extra oil is a little more than a 1/2 pint...but thats about right. Every half pint is about 10% extra. Nothing bad about that.....but that longer filter has about 35-40% more filter area.

Nothing wrong with that either. As the filter fills up with crap....the pressure on the inlet side of the filter media increases. Nothing wrong with having a good deal more capacity.

I see no down sides. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: