Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an old thread but I would have liked this! I assume it never got made? I know there are different schools of thought about it and ways people work...I know some or sorta more zen about it and want to build as they go, bonding with their bus as they slowly build up their arsenal of tools, while other gadget-lovers like me like the idea of getting it all over with at once (if relatively affordable obviously) so they don't have to go hunting later if needed at the time. And then the other point that others were making is that some have some of the tools already but not all. I think this could be "marketed" for those who are new to VWs and don't have those tools already, though the roll and individual tools could also be sold separately (?) which would take care of that!
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok with me if folks want this.

Myself, I have a large roll around tool box full of american-made tools... but in the bug I carry an orange plastic home depot toolbox, filled with harbor freight tools, and when I work on the bug I use those to make sure my selection covers all the typical repair jobs and more...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id totally buy something like this that was small and compact in roll form.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if it was reasonably priced and didnt have unnecessary stuff like the allen keys. The only ones you need are for the cv's. Useless tools are just that. Most of us have all of these tools, but an all in one kit might be pretty neat for everyone who has a multiple car habit who needs a kit per car. It just needs to be priced right

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: "How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj Reply with quote

Link

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
burner208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj Reply with quote

Id be in for a cheapo set. Craftsman stuff if it could be done in the 50 to 75 buck range.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj Reply with quote

I keep all the metric tools in one tool box, with vehicle specific spares kept in specific vehicle. Leftover Benz tool rolls carried in vehicle as well, so the box, carried in vehicle being used, only comes out for SHTF occasions.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I carry an Aluminum (Aluminium) tool box in my Air cooled that contains the tools and the parts needed to get me going again.
Excuse the photos, It's currently not in use and in a state of disarray until the Ghia hits the roads!

I've zero (0) interest in a tool roll.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

I have a box similar to above. There is enough to tear down a VW engine, do tune ups, enough for parts like plugs and points, HEI electronic ignition module, dielectric grease Plus test equipment ( scanner) for my cars with OBD2, volt ohm meter, test light. I have 9 cars and depending on what car I drive it goes with me.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj Reply with quote

burner208 wrote:
Id be in for a cheapo set. Craftsman stuff if it could be done in the 50 to 75 buck range.

The OP hasn't been back here in 4 years.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I have no intrest. Everything on your list can be bought at Sears with a lifetime guarantee.

Not by 2019 !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
I have no intrest. Everything on your list can be bought at Sears with a lifetime guarantee.

Not by 2019 !!!

Cute but Ace hardware will honor the craftsman warranty several other retailers now selling craftsman too. Regional here store called Atwoods, there are others craftsman brand is too big to fail. Very Happy
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: "How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
burner208 wrote:

The OP hasn't been back here in 4 years.

He probably got out of VW's since his '72 wasn't much to look at. Eh?

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj Reply with quote

I would roll that.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
I would roll that.

Yes that’s a excellent example of fine patina. Need to shoot some semi gloss urethane on that gem and show it off Very Happy
67Lover-FirstCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj Reply with quote

I am definitely interested in a compleat (sic) package deal. I tried to PM you yet was told there is an excess of over 500 messages and mine would not go through.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj Reply with quote

Not likely this is an active project, given the elapsed time...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj Reply with quote

67Lover-FirstCar wrote:
I am definitely interested in a compleat (sic) package deal. I tried to PM you yet was told there is an excess of over 500 messages and mine would not go through.

Just another in a long line of abandoned threads here. 4 posts for you huh? A regular chatterbox😀
67Lover-FirstCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "How to keep your vw alive" Phase 1 tool roll proj Reply with quote

What is a “Speeder” tire wrench?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: