Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

Greetings,

Visiting from the split-window forums.

I received an e-mail from my uncle in Washington who has a friend with what I assume to be a Bay.

I know, I know, there's not much detail (yet) of what might need to be done to repair my uncle's friend's bus (no details, no pictures, nothing at the moment), but the short of it is there:

Can any of you fine Bay-Window folks who live near or in the South-East of Washington State and/or the Pacific Northwest (or maybe even Idaho) recommend a reputable shop that has done/does do reputable frame-straightening work?

Many thanks in advance. Here's the very little I know, currently, from my uncle. It is his friend's bus that needs the attention:

Quote:
Dear (DadaCheese),

I have a hiking friend who lives a few blocks away from me. He has a VW camper bus that he has had for years. He might have had it for his honeymoon 40 years ago. Currently it covered with a protective tarp over it. Last night I saw him and asked how his VW was.

He does his own maintenance and he answered "not so good".

It seems that he had a front end accident once and the front of the bus' body is out of line. It got bent in the collision and he says it need to have a front end welded on...or something but he can't find anybody who will take the job on.

So..... do you know who does this type of work on VW camper type buses that he might get in touch with? Or do you know of somebody who has done or had this type of work done who could give advice?

Just asking,

Your Uncle

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

it is not a typical frame. You will need photos to see the damage first.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

And exactly what SE Washington is. Closest thing is Yakama or Spokane for major cities.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
And exactly what SE Washington is. Closest thing is Yakama or Spokane for major cities.

The Tri-cities area is closest.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

OK; more details.

It's a 1974 Westfalia.

Got to e-mail with my uncle's friend, and he has sent the pictures below.

His preference would be for a shop/expert would be as close to the Tri-Cities (Kennewick, Pasco, and Richland) area of the South-East of Washington State as possible, but he is open to the "Pacific North West".
My suggestions of places in California are likely too far.

Below are the pictures he provided, and some details from the Wesfalia's owner:

Quote:
I have had several shops tell me they could do the work and then back out several months later (without doing any work). Attached are some pictures of my 1974 VW Westfalia Campmobile which I bought new.
I would certainly prefer someone in the northwest to do the work.
Thanks

SO; anyone have some reputable shops/mechanics to suggest.
Places that will be responsive AND who can do the work? Many thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

let me know if you find a good shop to fix that. I know a 73 bus that may need some frame work too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

Before anyone gets all weird on throwing money at jacked up buses - Ill sell you this 1970 Riviera Camper - no motor - excellent no rot og paint body bus for $2500 Wink

Just throwing that out there.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
OK; more details.

It's a 1974 Westfalia.

SO; anyone have some reputable shops/mechanics to suggest.
Places that will be responsive AND who can do the work? Many thanks in advance.

That buses damage is an expensive repair to do correctly. Is it an insurance job or out of pocket to the owner job? It looks like it's close to being a total depending on what body shops quoted to do the work.

Did he get any quotes from the body shops that backed out? How much were they?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

Didn't Stu get his frame pulled near Seattle a few crashes ago? Razz

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

i would need more photos...but that would be an ez 10k fix by the time you are done...

some of the parts are not available new...so you would need a donor. having gone down that "harvest donor metal" road before...it sucks. you have millions of spots welds to surgically remove.

people aren't interested for 2 reasons:

way to time consuming to tie up a bay while the project crawls along and very little profit

people aren't willing to spend that kind of coin

if you were east coast I would take a look at it. it can be done...but you better have deep pockets

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

Thats why Im sayin man. I have a nice bus body ready to go. Wink Save some $$!

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I here you you bro. This is the guy that could use your bus.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716846&sid=42d848ad571458bfb5445f41627ddfbc

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I would be all over that if I could get it to CT

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I would be all over that if I could get it to CT
I would too if it wouldn’t cause a divorce for bringing home another stray.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Before anyone gets all weird on throwing money at jacked up buses

yeah just scrap them out because we can always get perfect OG buses on the cheap these days Confused

That looks like a good bus for someone with $2500 to spend though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

I hate to call skills for lowballing but I’m seeing frame damage behind the passenger door. That’s beyond economical repair but if the Bus has owner value I’m thinking 20k easy.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I hate to call skills for lowballing but I’m seeing frame damage behind the passenger door. That’s beyond economical repair but if the Bus has owner value I’m thinking 20k easy.

I worked for a body shop owner several decades ago. He was a magician on a frame rack. He taught me a lot though he was incredible. I saw him straighten some very twisted frame horns from front end collisions. They were wadded up like tin foil. He was a patient man. He'd tie these wrecks down on the frame rack, grab his blow torch and put the frame horn under tension. He'd carefully unwad it and then shape the horn like it looked pre-accident. When he was done, you'd never know the car or it's frame had been in an accident.

Today, the cost of labor make these types of repairs uneconomical. Yup, you can fix anything but have a deep wallet to do it or the skills to do it yourself.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Re-read skills note and I retract my lowball comment.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

Adam is in the Spokane area. He does mechanical, but I am not sure if he does body. He may be able to recommend someone who does, though.

https://brunoenterprises.org/contact/
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Shops in S.E. Washington State and/or PNW that do straightening? Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
let me know if you find a good shop to fix that. I know a 73 bus that may need some frame work too

dOAKa with wishbone suspension
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: