Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dutch Export Declaration
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Dutch Export Declaration Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am trying to import my 25 year old T4 based Karmann Karuso into the USA. Currently it is owned by my Dutch friend and has Dutch registration. There is a RORO service from Zeebrugge, Belgium direct to Tacoma, Washington so that is perfect for me.

My question is this: Dutch customs requires an Export Declaration if the van is leaving the EU to complete the deregistration paperwork. But the exit port in this case is in Belgium and it's not clear if Belgium would be able to do the Dutch Export Declaration paperwork or if the Dutch would even accept it if it was done by Belgium. Nobody seems to know!

My Dutch friend is worried the van won't be deregistered properly if it is exported out of Belgium and he will be taxed on it by Holland for eternity. Unfortunately there is no equivalent RORO service departing from Holland.

Have any of you exported Dutch vans out of Europe using a port in another EU country? Holland seems to be a popular place to buy VWs, but maybe not to ship them out, so someone must have done this Export Declaration before?

Thanks for any help. Want to get my baby home Smile
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dutch Export Declaration Reply with quote

I have no experience of this but reading this page
https://www.rdw.nl/information-in-english/export/e...ion-number
I would think that your friend (current owner) can take the vehicle to a test centre in netherlands, get it deregistered then take it to zeebruge - within the 14 day period mentioned...?
if you click on 'testing stations' there is one in detroit so maybe you could speak to someone there if you're not sure
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dutch Export Declaration Reply with quote

Right it is #7 from that page. It would be great if you could do it at a test center but from what I've understood you have to do the export declaration with Dutch customs, but of course Belgium customs will be processing the car when it leaves the EU.

I've also read that Holland and Belgium use two different computer systems. I was hoping the EU would all be on a common system so now I am really unsure of how this all works. Would the Dutch declaration ever be marked as fulfilled? It probably isn't even in the Belgium system.

I've sent off queries to custom agents in Holland and Belgium but obviously my car export is peanuts and maybe this isn't the easiest question. So I haven't heard anything back.

Any insight appreciated. Thanks for the response btw!

finster wrote:
I have no experience of this but reading this page
https://www.rdw.nl/information-in-english/export/e...ion-number
I would think that your friend (current owner) can take the vehicle to a test centre in netherlands, get it deregistered then take it to zeebruge - within the 14 day period mentioned...?
if you click on 'testing stations' there is one in detroit so maybe you could speak to someone there if you're not sure
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dutch Export Declaration Reply with quote

this is from the rdw faq page-
Can I sell my vehicle to someone who lives abroad?
Yes, you can sell a vehicle with a Dutch registration number to someone who lives abroad. You then have to terminate the registration of the registration number in the Netherlands. This is important, because after termination of the registration the obligations associated with having a vehicle in the Netherlands stop.
To end the registration, you will visit a RDW desk or inspection station. If your vehicle is already abroad, you can terminate the Dutch registration in writing from abroad.
so from the above it looks like you can even deregister after the export: however, I see no reason why you would have problems doing it the way I first described. the dutch handling deregistration and the belgians handling customs paperwork at the port of exit. the main thing is it mustn't have drugs or stowaways in it! Wink
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Dutch Export Declaration Reply with quote

I wound up shipping it out of Amsterdam in a shared container. The Dutch agent was licensed by the RDW and was able to do the deregistration procedure quickly in house. So Dutch VW, Dutch Agent, Dutch departure port. I'm pretty sure the European part is OK.

The issue now is that the VW is arriving in Oakland via container instead of Tacoma via RORO. Anyone have experiences driving a Euro import from California to Washington state? As part of the deregistration process, the NL plates have been removed.

I'm hoping I can go to my local WA licensing office with the EPA/DOT/NL paperwork and get real WA tags for the trip (my county doesn't have inspections). Otherwise I guess I could get a three day WA trip permit to bring it back but I don't think that legally lets my drive in CA or OR and the car would have no license plates so I'm sure to get stopped at some point.

Any experiences welcome!

Thanks

finster wrote:
this is from the rdw faq page-
Can I sell my vehicle to someone who lives abroad?
Yes, you can sell a vehicle with a Dutch registration number to someone who lives abroad. You then have to terminate the registration of the registration number in the Netherlands. This is important, because after termination of the registration the obligations associated with having a vehicle in the Netherlands stop.
To end the registration, you will visit a RDW desk or inspection station. If your vehicle is already abroad, you can terminate the Dutch registration in writing from abroad.
so from the above it looks like you can even deregister after the export: however, I see no reason why you would have problems doing it the way I first described. the dutch handling deregistration and the belgians handling customs paperwork at the port of exit. the main thing is it mustn't have drugs or stowaways in it! Wink
1994Karuso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dutch Export Declaration Reply with quote

To finish off the thread, the Karuso arrived in Oakland no problem. Before picking it up, with proof of insurance I went across the river to the Oregon DMV to get a trip permit (OR allows you a couple weeks versus only 3 days for Washington).

Back in California, I was surprised that the Dutch plates were still on it--maybe I could have driven back just with those. Anyway, the van started up the first time and I drove north with the Oregon permit in the rear window along with the European plates.

There are no inspections in our part of rural Washington. The DMV office (county next door) created the registration for a 1993 Transporter and gave me plates. They just wanted the stamped customs documents that the agent sent me.

Plates are on the van now, title is in the mail, fingers crossed.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dutch Export Declaration Reply with quote

glad to hear it went smoothly Smile

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: