Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

Hey Samba!

First post, first Van and need some advice on removing the exhaust. I have an ‘88 watercooled NonAC Vanagon that started to leak coolant from both heads after I’d drive it, park it and let the engine cool (this was when it would leak).

I’ve been following some quality head gasket posts, using my Bently manual and was going into the job with full confidence yesterday until it came to removing parts of the exhaust. The bolts, washers and exhaust have essentially rusted together and are not budging no matter how much penetrant has sat on them.

I have the tools, but don’t have a torch or power outlets near the bus, so flame and cutting right now are out of the question unless there truly is no other way, and it has to be cut off (I’d like to save and not replace if at all possible).

The van had heads replaced with amc ones at one point too, has anyone experienced a lot of pitting on the amc heads before? Looking to get it all apart and then place one order for items. Hoping only the gaskets need replaced.

Also, don’t silicone over the heads and gaskets, Like the guy I bought it from to try and cover up a repair. Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

you can use a chisel and hit the nut in line with the thread. this will split the nut making it expand and then come off saving the stud. the bolt, that does not sound like fun.

BiWerks Design, LLC
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

a propane torch using MAPP gas may work, acetylene will be much better. heat them up a red as you can get the nuts and studs, then pound the tightest 6 point socket on they you can. it may be standard and not metric as the rust decreased the size of the nut. see if it will turn out or even just move a smidge. then spray with penetrating oil and keep working back and forth.

don't worry about saving the studs. they are inexpensive and are good to replace when corroded. even if you have to saw the nut off, there is enough of the stud to grip with a vice grips to usually get it out. if you are buying new exhaust, then just saw the exhaust off at each header and work on the nuts/studs when the engine is out.... far far easier so if your exhaust is marginal, this is a great route to go.

i've done heads both in the van and with the engine dropped. it is far easier to do them with the engine dropped, even considering the hassle of removing the engine and trans. they you have great access to tend to everything else on a 30 year old vehicle.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

I had a similar problem and went old school with a hacksaw on most bolts. My engine was already out so it was easy to get at most bolts in some direction or other. Buy good new blades and it shouldn't be too bad. Buy one of those mini one hand hacksaws as well and just be patient. Good Luck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

I like to use the Bernzomatic WK5500 Brazing Torch Kit for fine detail heating. it's very portable and refills are available at homedepot.
sure it's not as cheap as a BIG tank of OXY/ACTYL but it's effective and easily controlled.

I can get a few bolts out of a tank pair.. I forget which tank goes quickest.. iirc it's the Oxygen one..
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-WK5500-Brazing-Torch-Kit-361487/300055608

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

That's an impressive amount of goop.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

Yea, you’re telling me on the goop. There’s a popular Vanagon repair shop here in San Diego which didn’t think to mention this as a problem - maybe they didn’t know, maybe the seller and repair shop are super close friends and they were trying to get out of doing the repair (which is actually the case). Sucks because I bought with confidence having a known Vanagon mechanic look over the engine, but in hindsight I should have had it checked out elsewhere too — we live and learn.

In the end though I got the van I wanted, just didn’t get to enjoy it for as long as I would have liked to, just barely 2 weeks.

I’ll try it the portable torch and saw this weekend. Wish we had a driveway or garage, but there just isn’t the space in San Diego so a lot of repairs have to be done away from the house on a side street. Crying or Very sad
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

Russpauly wrote:
I have the tools, but don’t have a torch or power outlets near the bus, so flame and cutting right now are out of the question unless there truly is no other way, and it has to be cut off (I’d like to save and not replace if at all possible).

This is when I would pull out my cordless Dremel with a fiber-reinforced cut off wheel. At least for the nuts-on-studs. The bolts do best with heating.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

Just to say this so the OP knows, the entire engine and exhaust can be dropped down and out as a unit. Then you can cart it to somewhere with power or torch. Yes, its like #250, but you'll probably do much better with it out, and even on a stand. While I say that, I have also been the guy who didn't want to drop the engine, and DID do mine left IN the Vanagon.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

Mine were like that on the original WBX. The only option was to cut the exhaust tube and pull the head. Hopefully yours wont be that bad. I ended up just replacing the engine with a good used RJE 2.2

Since then, I've upgraded to ARP studs & BMW copper nuts.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dolamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

Check out this video at about 3:30 seconds. He shows how to chisel a very badly rusted exhaust nut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrU5Lytl3EQ
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

Russpauly wrote:
a lot of repairs have to be done away from the house on a side street. Crying or Very sad

pulling the engine can be done on a side street and then dragged on a furniture dolly your house to be worked on.

BiWerks Design, LLC
ThomasC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

pulling the engine can be done on a side street and then dragged on a furniture dolly your house to be worked on.

Does anybody know if you can change head gaskets without pulling the engine?
1970 Standard Beetle
2004 Golf
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

ThomasC wrote:
dabaron wrote:

Yes you can.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
dabaron wrote:

Yes you can.

But would you, Dave? I don't think I'd even try unless workspace limitations made it mandatory.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
dobryan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
dabaron wrote:

Yes you can.

But would you, Dave? I don't think I'd even try unless workspace limitations made it mandatory.

I wouldn't but others have. Depends on the circumstances.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ThomasC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:
dobryan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
dabaron wrote:

Yes you can.

I wouldn't but others have. Depends on the circumstances.

Thanks Dave. I'm going to attempt to do it without an engine pull next week if all goes well.
1970 Standard Beetle
2004 Golf
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
ThomasC wrote:

Yes you can.

i would throw a ton of caveats in with this answer. be prepared for jugs not wanting to come loose from the heads. that means wrestling in a tight space with limited access and much discomfort, it's bad enough with it on an engine stand and at the right height.

BiWerks Design, LLC
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

Did mine with engine in, Driver side head popped off the jugs fairly easily. Pass side was, to put it bluntly, a real struggle. It took many days of spraying the intersection area with 50/50 acetone/ATF, many many tries with a variety of pry bar type objects, and eventually 4 500 watt halogen shop lamps aimed at the head for about two hours, then gratutious use of the best fit pry bar, and self-image bolstering thoughts of embodying my favorite superhero to finally get the jugs to pop off.

Remember, pull the jugs too far off the pistons, and you are DONE with your attempt to do this with the engine IN the rig. And.. probably done with the engine in general. The oiling ring slipping out is your ticket to the next level of hell. Remember to keep two gold coins in your pocket, that way, when you get to the other side of the Styx, you might be able to pay for the ticket back.

Last edited by bobbyblack on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket job — exhaust bolts completely rusted Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Remember, pull the jugs too far off the pistons, and you are DONE with your attempt to do this with the engine IN the rig. And.. probably done with the engine in general. The oiling ring slipping out is your ticket to the next level hell.

why would that be the end of the engine? these aren't difficult to work on, just a little different.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: