Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Control bars for swing axle
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

Does anybody own or have driven a swing axle car with this bolt on upgrade?

I've read that this kit acts like an IRS setup, but I think it limits de travel of the suspension, swing axles can't go up and down completely perpendicular to the ground.

Does anybody make reproductions of this kit? Will it work better with a camber compensator?

Here are some photos from othe topics/sites:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Show me what do you think!!

Last edited by Albertoprop17 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swig axle Reply with quote

I've tried a number of different solutions for my swing axle woes, and the best solution by far is a camber regulator designed for 356's.

http://356enterprises.com/suspension-and-brakes-porsche-356/

You'll need to do a little fabrication to make it work, but the nice thing about it is that you can tune the amount it influences your axles by tightening or loosening the connectors on the ends. Expensive! Of course. Worth it? Yes!

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swig axle Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
I've tried a number of different solutions for my swing axle woes, and the best solution by far is a camber regulator designed for 356's.

You'll need to do a little fabrication to make it work, but the nice thing about it is that you can tune the amount it influences your axles by tightening or loosening the connectors on the ends. Expensive! Of course. Worth it? Yes!

Cheers,

Paul
Paul,
I have adjusted the Empi Camber Compensator using different length straps. Shorter more control, longer less control. I install them on all my swing axle Beetles for better rear control. It works for me!

Bob
'63 OG 117
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

Very interesting, would love to try a set of these.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

I found an old set of these control bars, if I buy them (fingers crossed) I will restore it and put on my oval.

I will post how they perform...

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

If you don't buy them, please let me know. I would be interested in a set. E

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pirulero1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

if someone have a set please contact me
thnaks
michele
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

Hello,
Interesting accesory. Does anyone have any first-hand input on the actual use of these?
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

I'm about to close the deal, as soon as I restore the bars I will assemble them and tell you how they perform

jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swig axle Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:

Cheers,

Paul

Do you by any chance have a picture of it installed and what you modified to install it?
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

Sorry, it's not mounted on the car right now, but I'll try to describe the setup.

First, the real benefit of using this type of camber compensator is that the preload is configurable. The default configuration is to have the driver sit in the car, and have someone else attach the spring with 1/2 worth of pre-load.

Unlike your typical VW camber compensator, this one does not mount underneath the axle. Instead, it hangs a couple of inches in front of the axle, and it supposed to attach to the forward most spring plate mounting hole. This works fine on a Porsche 356, but not on a VW - the shocks are in the way. What you need to do is flip the mounting bracket around so that the spring hangs an inch or two behind the axle. If you do this, you'll notice that there isn't anything for the heim joints to attach to. What you need to do is fabricate some brackets (I used an old set of spring plates) that 1) mount to the end of the spring plates, and 2) provide a mounting location for the heim joints.

I have the brackets in my parts stash. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Sorry, it's not mounted on the car right now, but I'll try to describe the setup.

First, the real benefit of using this type of camber compensator is that the preload is configurable. The default configuration is to have the driver sit in the car, and have someone else attach the spring with 1/2 worth of pre-load.

Unlike your typical VW camber compensator, this one does not mount underneath the axle. Instead, it hangs a couple of inches in front of the axle, and it supposed to attach to the forward most spring plate mounting hole. This works fine on a Porsche 356, but not on a VW - the shocks are in the way. What you need to do is flip the mounting bracket around so that the spring hangs an inch or two behind the axle. If you do this, you'll notice that there isn't anything for the heim joints to attach to. What you need to do is fabricate some brackets (I used an old set of spring plates) that 1) mount to the end of the spring plates, and 2) provide a mounting location for the heim joints.

I have the brackets in my parts stash. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow.

Cheers,

Paul

Sounds like an awesome setup, I’d love to put it on my 59.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

I've received the control bars yesterday (thanks Ron Very Happy ). They need a restoration but it will be easy. A pair of rubber grommets, a pair of long spring plate bolts and a missing bolt on the beam attachment.

I'm a bit busy now, I will restore it in my inexsiting free time (mechanical engineering exams Rolling Eyes )

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

I must be the only one who doesn't think these will work correctly due to suspension geometry issues?!

I can draw it out if you can't see it in your head..
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

sled wrote:
I must be the only one who doesn't think these will work correctly due to suspension geometry issues?!

This system doesn't have 100% vertical movement. The rubber grommets on the inner end of the bar able the system to twist a bit.

This won't work on very lowered cars with too much camber, but on a stock or slightly lowered (a tiny negative camber) vehicle will work well.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

Albertoprop17 wrote:
sled wrote:

This system doesn't have 100% vertical movement. The rubber grommets on the inner end of the bar able the system to twist a bit.

This won't work on very lowered cars with too much camber, but on a stock or slightly lowered (a tiny negative camber) vehicle will work well.

the swing axle rear suspension already has two fixed points at which it pivots. adding a third that is not in the same plane on all axis, will not allow it to travel unimpeded.

hit a big bump with your control bar added, and it will put massive loads onto the bar and pivots. Why is this beneficial?

its one of those things that if it worked as intended and worked WELL, then it would not be such a rare accessory that has disappeared into history.

later 69'- rear suspension works because the axle is NOT fixed.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

I'm in the process of restoring the bars, but I don't know there to find the rubber grommets that go between the bar and the clamp. These ones allows the bar to flex a bit because of the swing axle configuration.

I need some bolts too, but I don't mind if the new ones don't match the others

The rubber grommets measure aprox. 21mm OD, 12mm ID and 10-12mm wide

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

Albertoprop17 wrote:

Does anybody make reproductions of this kit? Will it work better with a camber compensator?

I hope not. It's just whoever made that was stupid. Sorry to say, it's that simple. it's a hinge, in order for a hinge to work, the pivots must be in line
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Control bars for swing axle Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Albertoprop17 wrote:

I hope not. It's just whoever made that was stupid. Sorry to say, it's that simple. it's a hinge, in order for a hinge to work, the pivots must be in line

I have to agree. I don't see how this kit does anything besides causing suspension binding.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: