Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Color options for poptop Westys
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

I've been shopping around for a camper for a while now and it seems like most of the owners(who own resprayed busses) I have talked to, when I ask them the question "what is the original color" they say they were all pearl white. And when I mention that I've looked at velvet green westys that were dead set against it being OG.

I've referenced the color charts here. This shows a wide range of westy color options and points me toward the thinking that these people don't know wtf they are talking about. Am I missing something?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

azbob wrote:
I've been shopping around for a camper for a while now and it seems like most of the owners(who own resprayed busses) I have talked to, when I ask them the question "what is the original color" they say they were all pearl white. And when I mention that I've looked at velvet green westys that were dead set against it being OG.

I've referenced the color charts here. This shows a wide range of westy color options and points me toward the thinking that these people don't know wtf they are talking about. Am I missing something?

Most USA delivered SO-42s were pearl white singletone. There were also velvet green, and dove blue. Tourist delivery SO-42s were more likely to be velvet green. Two tone SO-42s were usually tourist delivery buses.

Westies were available in all of the singletone and two tone paint schemes, but some are rare. I have seen a beige grey / titian red SO-42. I have seen a light grey SO-42, etc. I have never seen a lotus white westy, nor have I seen a yukon yellow westy.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

azbob wrote:

Yes, some people don't know what they are talking about, bless them. SO-42s came in a variety of colours, though Pearl White was pretty common. I had a two tone VG/BW SO-42. It had some extra options, and must have been a special order.

Here are some westy M-code plates:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

Thanks both of you for clarifying! Means there's still a bit of my sanity left. Wink
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
azbob wrote:

Most USA delivered SO-42s were pearl white singletone. There were also velvet green, and dove blue. Tourist delivery SO-42s were more likely to be velvet green. Two tone SO-42s were usually tourist delivery buses.

Westies were available in all of the singletone and two tone paint schemes, but some are rare. I have seen a beige grey / titian red SO-42. I have seen a light grey SO-42, etc. I have never seen a lotus white westy, nor have I seen a yukon yellow westy.

You mention Yukon Yellow... I thought that was a Beetle-only color? Is there such thing as a delivered-from-factory Yukon Yellow bus?
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:
Lind wrote:
azbob wrote:

You mention Yukon Yellow... I thought that was a Beetle-only color? Is there such thing as a delivered-from-factory Yukon Yellow bus?

It’s mentioned in one of the So-22 brochures, but I am not sure if there are any known survivors. I’m not sure if that color was available for an So-42.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

It's mentioned in this Westfalia colors brochure as well:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/61_62_westy_colors.php

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

The brouchure shows colours that came out in April 1961 used through end 1964 model year. Plus the yellow.
Interestingly, the bus shown was buildt Oct 1960 at the latest; it is high hinge and Turkis/Blue-White. It is a SO-34 painted in colours not available for another 6 months.

However, they changed the colours for the 1965 model year, and SO-42s came out around January 1965. This chart would be shown to people ordering a camper in 1961, 1962. Maybe into 1964.
For an SO-42, I would look at the the colors available at time of production.
This chart does not show Velvet Green, or Sea Blue/ Blue-White, for example.

another page in that brochure:
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

I have never heard the term singletone Lind, I like it. But I wish my pearl white poptop was two-tone blue white over turquoise as pearl white gets boring. Although the dove blue never gets boring Wink

Lind wrote:
azbob wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

azbob wrote:
Means there's still a bit of my sanity left. Wink

AHHH No, your shopping for a Split Bus Westy, your insane as the rest of us.... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
azbob wrote:

AHHH No, your shopping for a Split Bus Westy, your insane as the rest of us.... Laughing

Ha! True!
Cainibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
azbob wrote:

Never give up, took almost 2 years but I finally found one and negotiated a price about 6 months ago. Found her in Calgary Canada and drove here home just north of Philly.
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

Cainibus wrote:

Never give up, took almost 2 years but I finally found one and negotiated a price about 6 months ago. Found her in Calgary Canada and drove here home just north of Philly.

Congrats on finding yours! I saw your thread too.

I've been on a slow 5+ year plan. Waiting on the right one and being picky about it too. Saw an all original walkthrough velvet green westy at Busses by the bridge that Pony Tail Mike had and fell in love. He told me he had another he was going to be selling but I lost his number some how (its a freak'n cell phone, how !@#% did that happen!).
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

azbob, you should post looking for Pony Tail Mike and find that Westy, never give up.

Cainibus, what is the OG color of you Westy? Nice score.

azbob wrote:
Cainibus wrote:

Congrats on finding yours! I saw your thread too.

I've been on a slow 5+ year plan. Waiting on the right one and being picky about it too. Saw an all original walkthrough velvet green westy at Busses by the bridge that Pony Tail Mike had and fell in love. He told me he had another he was going to be selling but I lost his number some how (its a freak'n cell phone, how !@#% did that happen!).

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OVIEDOAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

Here is my tourist delivery. I'm still trying to figure out if it is two tone. I've never seen that paint code on a split bus before. Also weird that it has belly pans and a few other odd things.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

elfenbein, ivory, L561 was the standard ambulance color. I think the Katastrophenschutz cars were that color as well.

minutes later ...
found the reference in the paint and upholstery. Public service paint codes: 115 for Ivory Ambulance

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

OVIEDOAV wrote:
Here is my tourist delivery. I'm still trying to figure out if it is two tone. I've never seen that paint code on a split bus before. Also weird that it has belly pans and a few other odd things.

Cool Westy!
Here's a similar German delivered pop-top Westy I had with factory belly pans, ambulance fans, gas heater etc.

Cummulus White over Sea Blue:

More pics & info:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598200&highlight=

Last edited by oakman on Mon May 13, 2019 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Cool Westy! Btw, your bus is German delivery. If it were Tourist delivery, it would have UT in the lower left corner of the m-code plate.

There are tourist delivery buses without the UT code. I tend to describe these buses as tourist or serviceman buses. They are built to USA specs and delivered to Germany.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
oakman wrote:
Cool Westy! Btw, your bus is German delivery. If it were Tourist delivery, it would have UT in the lower left corner of the m-code plate.

There are tourist delivery buses without the UT code. I tend to describe these buses as tourist or serviceman buses. They are built to USA specs and delivered to Germany.

Good to know, thanks Lind!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Color options for poptop Westys Reply with quote

Our 1966 SO44 pop top is originally Titan Red/Beige Gray with a yellow fabric upholstery.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: