Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris86uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've read that the generator / dynamo on T2's are supposed to have some protective covers fitted to them but having not seen a picture, I'm not sure what they are or where they're supposed to go. The article I read said not having the cover(s) in place can contribute to bus fires.

Logic would tell me the terminals should be covered, but should the holes in the body also be plugged? (See pics)

Thanks

Chris
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

your generator is not properly clocked...the terminals need to go to the right.

some had a plastic cover that clipped into the top. not really needed. I will try and find a photo.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

There were plastic covers that closed off the top slot in the generator housing for accessing the brushes. They pretty much disappeared as you revved the engine in first gear taking off from the dealer's lot. I bought a new Bosch generator for my T-181 this past summer and it came with the cover. It had about a week's life before it popped off and got deformed by going through the belt.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Yes, Skills is right on talking about the rotation of the generator. There are cooling air pickups on the backing plate help keep the generator cool; right now yours is not optimal.

1969 and up buses with Type 1 engines came with a 38-amp generator that doesn’t have a plastic cover. It looks like you have that generator, but I’m not 100% certain based on your pictures. You can check the stamped numbers on the generator body for “38A” or “30A”, or post a pic of your entire generator and backing plate setup. (It looks like you have a cast iron front generator pulley, which would indicate 38-amp as well.)

Airhead Parts sells a plastic upper cover for the 30-amp generator which fits like a glove, and it’s been on my bug for a few years with no issues.

There are also rubber boots that go around the wire terminals, but they have to be slid on the wires before the crimp connectors are crimped on. Some people say they didn’t come on buses, but I like them.

See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

X2 on the rubber boots. Consider: the main terminal on the generator / alternator is (indirectly, for the generator) connected to the battery "+" terminal with a good sized wire. Short that to something and expect heat and many sparks.

If nowhere else, rubber terminal covers are a standard aircraft part, and are available from aviation supply places.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris86uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Can I rotate the generator into the correct position without completely removing it from the fan housing?

Sounds like the blanking plugs aren't anything much to worry about but I'll check which generator I have and report back. I will definitely either get the rubber terminal covers or insulate the connections with tape at least though.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

VW started putting a cover on the top generator slot on Beetles when they got rid of the rain guard on deck lids with vents. The cover keeps rain out of the generator. I don't see any need for it on a bus.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
VW started putting a cover on the top generator slot on Beetles when they got rid of the rain guard on deck lids with vents. The cover keeps rain out of the generator. I don't see any need for it on a bus.

This^^

It was also reported that the generators with the cover on ran hotter due to lack of enough air getting through them.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

chris86uk wrote:
Can I rotate the generator into the correct position without completely removing it from the fan housing?

Possibly. There are two ways the generator can be attached to the backing plate, and four ways the backing plate can be installed. Looking at the position of your terminal studs, I can't tell if it's installed on the backing plate correctly or not.

Dual port engines have an easy enough time removing the intake manifolds. Then you can remove the generator and backing plates together. Single port engines require tiny dexterous finger work to get all the fasteners reinstalled, and possibly a fan shroud lift to get the backing plates to clear the intake manifold, which is not worth trying to remove with the engine in the car.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris86uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

^^ Thanks Robbie, I'll have a look at the weekend.

Chris
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

Battery disconnect, negative first

Remove fan belt

Loosen generator strap

With an M6 wobble and a ratcheting 10mm box end the four bolts come out and then the generator can be rotated.

Reinstall bolts

Tighten strap

Negativeback on

Reset radio

Beer
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Battery disconnect

Beer

All that assumes the generator isn't 180° out on the backing plate… Wink Eight potential installation orientations, only one correct. Tune in next week for another episode of "Robbie can do basic math!"

Chris, this is the "slot" in the inner backing plate piece that needs to face down.

I lifted that picture from this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649445

Since the generator can go into the backing plate two ways, I hope you've got luck on your side at this point…
Robbie
chris86uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Definitely very useful to be able to see the slot in the above pic Robbie, now I know what I'm looking for.

I guarantee it'll be completely the wrong way round and the whole thing will have to come out though hahaha.

Chris
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/Dynamo Blanking Covers? Reply with quote

I picked up a wire boot from CIP for $6 or so. They show out of stock, but at least this it what you're looking for.

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-113-901A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: