Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What would you pay?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: What would you pay? Reply with quote

Not sure if I should make this a poll or not. Ive always wanted a splitty and when these 2 popped up I hopped on it. Owner passed away so titles are missing, but we do have a power of attorney. All the seller knows is that he has 2 "vw station wagons in his backyard". Bus #1 is a 58 Single Cab that is RUSTY granted the other one has its fair share but this one has enough for the both of them. The bed is gone,and there doesnt seem to be a straight panel on it. its been repainted, with something, looks like they just dumped a can over the top and let it dry. I dont know what these had stock but both have single ports, and detachable alt stands. That tells me they arent 25/36hp? Passenger door wont open, the driver door bottom is gone but it could be saveable with some determination, and where the bed meets the cab is see through. Not to mention the bed has more missing than is there

Here is my plan: the owner is asking $5000 for the two. If things went right, Id offer 3000 since the single is so far gone and with the panel on its way. Id keep the panel and do my best to part out or sell the single to recoup some money. She is one of the rustier buses ive ever seen in person but I know there is some people who are up for the job and have deep pockets. The rust repair on the panel will be a learning curve but Ive got a shop with the tools and some experienced metal repair friends. With my budget this may be the only chance I have to get a bus and I dont want to pass it up if it is worthwhile.
What do you guys think?

EDIT: I removed the photos for the *sellers* privacy

Last edited by FullFender on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

The panel is a late 61. Low hinge cargo doors and thick lip dash shelf on a bullet nosed bus. On a side note. Don't post pics before it's at your place. They maybe gone before you go back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

I bet Clara could tell you the date on the m-plate within a few days to a month. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

Both are low on the totem poll and in truly rotten condition. I wouldn't pay more than a $1k for both. That dude may find someone to pay more, but knowing what lies in store to make that hacked panel a runner would put me off big time.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

that red panel is not "original paint"..
unless VW was painting vent window rubbers red that year??
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
that red panel is not "original paint"..
unless VW was painting vent window rubbers red that year??

Laughing
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
Not sure if I should make this a poll or not. Ive always wanted a splitty and when these 2 popped up I hopped on it. Owner passed away so titles are missing, but we do have a power of attorney. All the seller knows is that he has 2 "vw station wagons in his backyard". Bus #1 is a 58 Single Cab that is RUSTY granted the other one has its fair share but this one has enough for the both of them. The bed is gone,and there doesnt seem to be a straight panel on it. its been repainted, with something, looks like they just dumped a can over the top and let it dry. I dont know what these had stock but both have single ports, and detachable alt stands. That tells me they arent 25/36hp? Passenger door wont open, the driver door bottom is gone but it could be saveable with some determination, and where the bed meets the cab is see through. Not to mention the bed has more missing than is there

Here is my plan: the owner is asking $5000 for the two. If things went right, Id offer 3000 since the single is so far gone and with the panel on its way. Id keep the panel and do my best to part out or sell the single to recoup some money. She is one of the rustier buses ive ever seen in person but I know there is some people who are up for the job and have deep pockets. The rust repair on the panel will be a learning curve but Ive got a shop with the tools and some experienced metal repair friends. With my budget this may be the only chance I have to get a bus and I dont want to pass it up if it is worthwhile.
What do you guys think?

EDIT: I removed the photos for the buyers privacy

yes, the panel is a late 61,
the truck 59-60ish.

To sell a bus, it helps when they roll easily, and have titles. Even then.... those are in poor condition, and not the most desirable models like the sunroof buses or westy campers.

There are a few threads on 'what is my bus worth'.
check them out, also check the classifieds to see what people are asking.
The rust under the seat stand of the panel is pretty bad. Wink

That said, if I was local I would take both if they paid me $5k.
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
FullFender wrote:

What do you guys think?

yes, the panel is a late 61,
the truck 59-60ish.

To sell a bus, it helps when they roll easily, and have titles. Even then.... those are in poor condition, and not the most desirable models like the sunroof buses or westy campers.

There are a few threads on 'what is my bus worth'.
check them out, also check the classifieds to see what people are asking.

That said, if I was local I would take both if they paid me $5k.

Not sure you got to see the pics or if he has them in his gallery or something? Why are you saying 59-60 on the truck? Going by a vin or? I saw high tail lights and flat late 57-58 engine lid? Both of them look rolling to me. $2500 per bus doesn't get much. If you could get them both for $3000. I think you could flip the truck. And have a builder project.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:

Not sure you got to see the pics or if he has them in his gallery or something? Why are you saying 59-60 on the truck? Going by a vin or? I saw high tail lights and flat late 57-58 engine lid? Both of them look rolling to me. $2500 per bus doesn't get much. If you could get them both for $3000. I think you could flip the truck. And have a builder project.

Yes, I did a quick look in his gallery. I saw early dash, late bumper and early hand levers. Yes, the bumper could have been swapped.

Any bus in W WA that is not actually a driver and has been sitting for years with a passed away owner... my experience is that the brakes lock up. Unless it actually is described as a roller and I double check that it rolls, I bring the drums puller when picking it up.
Even if told it drove last year, I bring the drum puller when picking it up. Remember Maple Valley. about 2% of the wheels rolled.
Your experience in other places may differ.

Okay, they are worth something, but 5K crusty non-rollers w/o titles is dreaming. Plus locals are cheap, and don't shift their butts to free stuck drums. Sitting behind a keyboard people think it is better than it is. If I was still in Olympia I would not be excited.

Also, look into getting a title. That is very important. If you don't have a title, that takes 3 years in WA. Three years once you get it inspected and file the paperwork.
If you can get the title through the power of attorney, that saves time, but make sure you get that. Before handing over all the money.

If the OP gets the buses, my advice is to sell the extra as a unit. Don't part it out or you end up with a pile of rusty junk. Sell it to someone who thinks they will fix it.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:

um hummmm.... Laughing
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
FullFender wrote:

um hummmm.... Laughing

lol my mistake, I fixed it.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

eh doesn't bother me, thats where the tubs go
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you pay? Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
Clara wrote:

eh doesn't bother me, thats where the tubs go

Perfect!
That is probably the only rust! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: