Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mojave desert Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herman 9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vanagon Westfalia, your thoughts requested... Reply with quote

Hey I have the same combination...94 Jeep Cherokee and 1982 aircooled Westy!
They may not be pretty but they are pretty indestructible
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1981 Vanagon Westfalia, your thoughts requested... Reply with quote

I have really fallen behind on updating this thread, so here are some more pics of the progress. I finished renovating the fuel tank, vapor and overflow tank systems and installed a new Bosch fuel pump and filter. The tank had some light rusting, and has a dent in it, so it's on the five-year calendar schedule for replacement. I also changed out the broken ignition switch, re-crimped all the ends of the wires going to that and also changed out the ignition switch lock with a different key number for another small layer of added security. Of course, I have kept the old key and lock! Those pictures will be added later.

I repainted the pop top with a great color matched off-white enamel with reducer and hardener before the winter arrived, and bought GoWesty's seal kit. The kit is a great buy and it fit really well. New Westfalia decals front and back made a nice touch. More pics on that later!

I had replaced a lot of the fuel lines, removed and checked the fuel injectors with my home made set-up and did a lot of prep work to get the engine running. Fuel injectors all checked out fine, and then I removed the intake plenum for clean up. Here is a video I made about testing Type 4 fuel injectors for low voltage problems in a Baywindow bus. But this is also how I clean and test them... they are basically the same for air-cooled Vanagons. And if I want the job done in the best way, I will send them out to Witchhunter Performance: https://www.witchhunter.com/

Testing the injectors:

Link

I also discovered the problem with my 'starts but then dies' problem attributed to the fuel pump relay, and the problem instantly went away with a new one. I used the AFC manual here in the Samba tech library and the Vanagon Bentley to help me get this resolved. I also had a problem develop where it took a lot of cranking before the engine ran. This was attributed to the failure of Cold Start Valve not getting a good ground through the Thermo-time Switch. I learned about that here:https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9001352&highlight=#9001352

Naturally, I spent a fair amount of time checking lines and renewing electrical connections:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As noted earlier, the engine compartment looked like this when I found it in the desert:

I nice little surprise was discovering the clutch master cylinder located above the clutch pedal was missing (removed by someone years ago, it seems), so I got that installed. The clutch slave unit would later be replaced as well.

After I got the engine to start and stay running dependably, I changed out two of the now-rotted tires with a couple of good used tires and I got the van running well enough to move it under its own power... not done in many, many years! Very Happy

It was a relief that the thing moved. Shocked Up until this point, I was only hoping/guessing the transmission and clutch still worked. So I had my son follow me around the block for a couple of laps after we flushed the brake lines and tested the parking brake. Then, we went for about a mile and a half drive. Got it up to 50 MPH into 4th gear, then we pulled off and fooled around shifting and backing it up. The drive home was uneventful, so obviously the next step would be to pull the power plant to refresh the engine and transmission.

First thing... pull it all out as a unit:

Then get it into the Operating Room...

Money well spent getting the clutch resurfaced:

I would also install the thermostat that was missing. You can check out that being tested on this engine on this video here:

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

Today was a great day. I finished putting on new shocks and rubber brake lines in all four locations, flushed the brake system completely and finished venting the clutch slave cylinder. As lunchtime approached, I climbed in and had my son follow me on an eight mile test drive.

I need to re-adjust the gear shifter because Reverse is a pain to get into and Second gear hits my knee.

The speedometer needs real attention and the rear left turn signal is burned out... and the horn does not work.

Late in the afternoon, I gave the van it’s first real bath and took off a lot of the paint oxidation. It will be a long time before the rest of the van shines up real well! There are lots of little dents and dings, and a fender well that needs replacing. It was still cool to shine up a little corner with some turtle wax and see that brown shine through.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of fun.
Noticed a problem in the photo of the left rear brakes.
The adjuster's forked end is installed inside out.
Long end of the fork goes to the inside, like the right side photo.

Also the rearmost shoe on both sides is pretty worn down at the top.

Mark

Wasted youth wrote:

T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

Good eye on the adjuster,

The trailing shoes look strange too. The friction material should continue up all the way to the cylinder right? It’s like they are upside down, but the e brake lever seems oriented correctly. Maybe the friction material was installed incorrectly at the factory.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

Hey, thanks! I will get into that... thanks for the tip! I did not notice that. I have most of what I need to do a full brake job front and rear. Today was mostly about finishing up a ‘clean and inspect’ program.

Both front and rear brakes functioned well, but if we keep this van, I will work into the usual deal: all wheel bearings re-packed or replaced, parking brake cable replaced and full brake job.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Good eye on the adjuster,

The trailing shoes look strange too. The friction material should continue up all the way to the cylinder right? It’s like they are upside down, but the e brake lever seems oriented correctly. Maybe the friction material was installed incorrectly at the factory.

I think it’s because they were not adjusted correctly on the bottom... so the wheel cylinder pressed outward and the tops of the shoes wore down, while the bottoms of the shoes were not doing their job.

Now that everything is back together and I drove around a bit, I got the van parked to spend some time to adjust the gear shift. Add to the list is to wind out the star adjusters at the bottom to get some drag. Shoes do need replacing, but I will wait until I do the full wheel bearings and brake job.
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

I just continue to like you more and more fella!
In my opinion, Aussie Brown is one of the BEST Vanagon colors. Love it.
How has it been getting all the fuel injection stuff set back up?
My current 81 has some EMPI carb crap stashed with all the engine components. No bueno.

Thinking about it, I’d like to start a thread for my Westy. Nothing too eventful just yet, plenty of other projects shaking down.

Keep posting on this thread Steven, that way I have solid reference. Make my life easier! Laughing

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

Thanks, Sam!

I am mostly a stock-Nazi kind of guy, so I enjoy scooping up cast aside FI stuff. And being in California, it's necessary to pass smog... which I think is a good idea. I live in one of the worst air regions according to the EPA's website.

You may have a challenge finding a Cold Start Valve that is good enough and won't fall apart causing a catastrophic fire... but the CSV isn't a critical requirement.

Most everything can be found with time and money. I refurbished the wiring harness with all new connectors and plugs. Bus Depot has a few FI parts if you are willing to spend the money. Rock Auto sometimes has a few. I found some fuel pump relays (Double Relay) on sale at one point. You just have to beat the bushes.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

Today wrapped up preparing for the California Smog Check.

I started by adjusting the valves per Bentley. There are plenty of people who think that hydraulic cam followers (lifters) don't need adjustment, but although they do not need adjusting as frequent as solid lifters, there is a specified Bentley procedure for this. See Section 15.6

After I adjusted the valves, I warmed up the engine, then did an oil change. I used Castrol Synthetic Blend 10W-40.

Next, I did a compression check. I am somewhat disappointed in my average reading of 90 PSIG. I was hoping for north of 110 per cylinder, but at least the compression is uniform. I have no history on this engine, so who knows how amny miles it has on it. When I was doing the refresh last monht, I pulled one lifter to check its face. It was still slightly domed.

Later this evening after a four mile drive at 70 mph, I re-tested. Same readings. That said, this van ran remarkably better after today's efforts than it ran earlier in the week, so getting it tuned up was an obvious plus.

After the compression check, I moved on to setting up to test and verify dynamic timing, dwell angle, idle speed and fuel-air ratio. First up: using my El Cheapo noid light tester to verify all five fuel injectors were getting current.

Here I have my adjustable timing light, Sears Engine Analyzer (Super cool for $10 at my local Thrift Store!) and the LM-2 Exhaust Gas Analyzer.

I used the Bentley to perform the tasks. Due to the way the California engine management/emissions is set up, there are particular steps the need to be followed and an array of cautions that must be adhered to in order to obtain the correct parameters without damaging the control electronics. Nothing complicated or worrisome, but best to do it exactly like the book.

Part of the process is to remove the Engine Idle Stabilizer from the game... you do this by disconnecting the plugs and plugging them together.

...hard to see, but you will also need to disable the O2 Sensor by unplugging it.

This is my exhaust gas reading at idle with the engine set up per the Bentley procedure. This is after I set the dynmic timing at 5* ATDC per Bentley.

I set the idle by adjusting the screw on the throttle body... engine compartment decal specifies 900 +/-50 RPM at idle. I'm just a tad bit fast.

Bentley specifies that Dwell Angle is 'not adjustable' and this is what I got for a Dwell reading after I adjusted the distributor to obtain the 5* ATDC.

After I got it dialed in, I ran it up to 3,000 RPM and took a look at the LM-2 exhaust reading.

Hopefully, the smog check will go well. I'm taking it to the guy who has tested my 1987 van and 1977 bus so he is familiar with me. This has to go on the treadmill, and it's getting harder to find people who aren't afraid of these things.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

Steven,
When you move, you can have her running right aside from the smog. But nature lovers and good samaritans appreciate your efforts just the same.
Green trees are cooler than brown trees.
Just keep the brown bus.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

Yep, it can be made to operate well if everything is there. I even got a NIB Hall effect pickup from Bus Depot and a spare Hall effect module. Better than points as near as I can tell.

I do like clean air, so I’m totally fine with making it right!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

Smog Check went stupid today.

First place did not have the owner on site (he is very familiar with older VW air cooled emissions), and the tech that was there clearly did NOT want to get involved with this old technology... but finally went ahead and got started on it. Then he made up some BS story about how the van was not delivering enough driving torque to spin the treadmill on the second stage (25 MPH). Test Aborted and no fee paid or expected.

Second shop was concerned about the age of it, and I had to walk him through what and where all the engine management parts were. He was thinking there was a likelihood of failure, and showed concern but did not give me the cold shoulder.

Dynamic test went great! Cool Very low across the range, both at 15 and 25 MPH. He was clearly impressed by this, and we talked some more. But he was really getting concerned about the CAT. He could not get the EO numbers off it, and said he had to verify the EO numbers... so I got a clear cell phone pic of it, and when he was looking at it said those numbers were not going to work.

The older CATs do have manufacturer part and serial numbers on them, but the state database does not seem to support them. Only a newer numbering system where all the EO numbrs begin with a D

He was sympathetic to my plight, and understood my thoughts about how this CAT was good, it was not Federal because it started with CA EO and then the numbers... it's just that it was old and did not have all the laser-engraved EO information on it. But he was really concerned that his information did not cross-reference the old numbers. If he could not verify the old numbers on the can, then he would need the paperwork from when the CAT was installed. There are certificates that come with new CATs and if you have that, plus the receipt from the shop that installed it, he could use that.

I know this is bullshit.

I mean... I have no doubt he feels he is right. AND he is NOT going to do any more work than necessary. And he won't risk trouble with the State over some deal like this. But... to not be able to cross reference the old numbers against the new is a bunch of crap.

It was great that he let me crawl around inside the work area, and that he was willing to listen with reason, but it's not enough. Van Passed on testing, but Failed visual because the CAT could not be confirmed.

And so it goes...

Today seems to reinforce a growing feeling I have had about this developing scenario: We can make these engines function as designed and be clean about it, but there is a rapidly growing concern about finding a technician or shop that has an understanding about them without being drowned in nervousness.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

For what it’s worth, here is the results of the smog test...

Screw it! I’m taking my son camping...

We left at 05:40, about an hour later than planned, but I spent ALL DAY yesterday getting the ‘creature comforts’ working and installed, including upgrading my fridge with a computer cooling fan and drilling out the hole in the air pump. It’s so “cool” that our fridge is ice cold in any of the three modes!

The sink water pump got changed out, but the system does not have as much volume or pressure as our 1987 Westy does... but I also upgraded that pump a few years ago.

05:40

I did an easy 70-75 mph for the 88 freeway miles from our house to Bakersfield. Van performe nicely, but the speedo fluctuates and I have no dash lights.

Around 07:45 we stopped for a grab shot of someone’s money pit collection on Edison Highway leaving Bakersfield, Calif. There were more than just these two:

08:35

Near the tiny community of Caliente, Ca. we took a quick break and I took a quick look around. We’ve been through a few foothill grades by this point, and the van seems to be doing really well! Speed range in 3rd gear likes around 40 to 45 uphill.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

Well, so far... pretty good.

No dash lights, but the old cassette deck suddenly started sending static to the rear speakers today. No power to the cigarette lighter so we are charging the phones via a tap to the battery. Clutch, transmission, CV joints, steering and engine management all doing really well! Brakes are a little hard on the pedal.

It’s kind of funny putting up the pop top with no canvas, but that needs to be up to cook food. Fridge and stove are working great!

We camped at Kelso last night. It rained a little last night and this afternoon. Desert is so awesome right now.

Stupid Bosch fuel pump is starting to grind. Just bought that new when I renovated the fuel system entirely less than 300 miles ago. Replacement cost from any FLAPS is near $200

Here are a few views. Not all the pics were made on my phone... so I will upload later from the camera.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

I love the Intense Look of the Dog guarding that 'money pit' collection of vehicles.... Or it's thinking, 'great, another one to watch over as you pulled up'..... Wink Wink Wink

Anyway, congrats on getting it this far, you're doing great.... Applause
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

The rest of the road trip went really well...

And I got the new CAT installed even though my old one had really clean emissions. So much stupid red tape with Kaliphornya!

This morning I finally got this old van legal... fully insured, passed the smog check re-take and got my new plates and tags!

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

It’s 6 am. Do you know where your German Shepherd is?

Time for another road trip! Dog and I left the house at 03:15 and had a nice, uneventful two hour trip to the coast stopping at Cambria for a little break and a run on the beach. We hope to spend the next couple of days along California’s Central Coast with some camping in Big Sur. I have given up trying to make reservations at any campground because they are sold out many months (like 9 or more!) in advance.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mojave desert Westy Reply with quote

Popcorn

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: