Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear seat differences? only bottom seat.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jens-Ole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Rear seat differences? only bottom seat. Reply with quote

I have a January '55 type 1 with front and rear seats for '58-'64.
I had the correct back seat but the bottom section has gone missing from the place i had some parts stored, but I still have the back part.

But which year can I use the seat from?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat differences? only bottom seat. Reply with quote

You need an early seat bottom as the frame is much different then 56 and up.

The shape isn't much different, but it's how the seat frame mounts to the body. the early seat bottoms have a tab on each side that "locks" it into place and a small support tab in the middle to rest on the tunnel.

The later models have a cross bar that is installed at the bottom front to support the seat and hold it in place.

You could add the support bar to your car and use a later seat...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat differences? only bottom seat. Reply with quote

Here's the early 55 type seat rear frame. The bottom sits on a bracket on either side, and on the tunnel on front in the middle. (A) The back has a bracket with a slot for bolts to mount to the body. (B) Newer ones has a single hole to swivel on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat differences? only bottom seat. Reply with quote

To your question, you could purchase these
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1692080
and add them to a newer seat bottom. Not sure how the fit would be, but at least it would be better supported and not hit the top of your battery!
Jens-Ole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat differences? only bottom seat. Reply with quote

Bringing this one back from the dead as I haven´t really come any further on this quest. It is not that simple to find an early 55 seat bottom here in Norway it seems.

But does anyone have pictures of the bracket on the body as mine does not have these. It came from Sweden sporting some Saab 900 front seats and 68- rear seat thrown in somehow.. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat differences? only bottom seat. Reply with quote

Jens-Ole wrote:
I have a January '55 type 1 with front and rear seats for '58-'64.
I had the correct back seat but the bottom section has gone missing from the place i had some parts stored, but I still have the back part.

But which year can I use the seat from?

for a 1/55 the bottom parta' the BACK seat
has no bar-support across the front leading edge, on the bottom, like a 1956 and later - A 1/55 is the earlier design, like 1949 to 1954 - with no seat springs, in the hollowed-out parta' the seat, for the battery.

The back parta' the seat is the more unusual and harder part, to find - you're very fortunate to have retained that...

..Actually, to be correct (how boring though) at least a 1949 to early '55 would be the correct seat bottom - a very presentable look would be to use a 1956 or later, seat-bottom - with or without the bottom (leading-edge) support bar..

Right or wrong, you can make it appear very presentable.... expect to pay sometimes double, the amount, for the correct seat-bottom... if you're gunna loose a parta' the seat, the bottom is the one to loose...

The front seats in a 1955 (and earlier) have been sought-after, for as long as I can remember, dating back to the late 1960s, anyway - guess you know, they had no back-parta' the seat adjustment, likea' 1956 and later type and the seat cover design in 1955 was vastly different than the 1956 type - read all about it in JT Garwood's book, volume one - Car of the Century

… if all ya have is the later seat arrangement, mounting the back parta' the rear seat is gunna' be the trouble one... z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat differences? only bottom seat. Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat differences? only bottom seat. Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:

BWAZ is 100% correct, as usual ,but, BUT you can, get away with using a '56 or later seat bottom - I HAVE DONE IT with success , cause I am a way, way, cheaper-ass than brian iz…
… that tab, inn b's picture kinda' takes the place of the cross bar - if ya have to do things only the right way, then forget everything I've mentioned and do what BWAZ says to do … he's definitely the man.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat differences? only bottom seat. Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Jens-Ole wrote:

..Actually, to be correct (how boring though) at least a 1949 to early '55 would be the correct seat bottom - a very presentable look would be to use a 1956 or later, seat-bottom - with or without the bottom (leading-edge) support bar..

The old style one has a little bump on the bottom of the seat so it sits on the curve of the tunnel. If not going for original, I would go with Zen's idea of the bar across for strength and safety of the seat bottom not shorting on the battery! At least you could put the old style one in later when found
Jens-Ole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat differences? only bottom seat. Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I will post a photo of the seats I have in the car now, and then just keep searching for the correct bottom part Cool
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear seat differences? only bottom seat. Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
The back has a bracket with a slot for bolts to mount to the body. (B) Newer ones has a single hole to swivel on.

Can the bracket (B) be added to a later (late 55-57) rear seat back to make it fit/work on an early 55? I know Mika makes the braket (B) but I haven't heard anyone indicate what the difference would be on a later (56-57) seatback and if these would make a fit for an earlier oval (53-early55).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: