Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

10 year old Solar setup in 86 Syncro - Need advice
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: 10 year old Solar setup in 86 Syncro - Need advice Reply with quote

Would like some advise on the system my van has that the PO installed 10 years ago (install done by Subagon).

Here's what it has:
Arrow 1 - 120 watt Solar panel
Arrow 12v 10amp SunForce Charge Controller
Arrow 2 - 6v Deep cell
Arrow Cobra 1500 Watt Inverter
Arrow Stinger SGP32 200 AMP Battery Relay Isolator
Arrow 2 - 6 circuit fuse blocks. (one has the Truckfridge, Propex, interior
lights / stereo, one fuse block is currently not being used)

The van came with the Propex. I added the Truck Fridge. Other than that, it's how it was setup when I bought it a few months ago. When I run the fridge and heater at the same time, theres a good drain on the batteries. I can watch the charge controller go from 12 to 13+ volts down to 10 or less (when van isn't running). Not sure if I should upgrade the batteries or the panel or both or none? If I do upgrade, I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade the Charge Controller and Isolator too? My goal is to be able to run the heater, fridge, LED lights along with charging phone/laptop/iPad while not running the engine for a few days at a time.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old Solar setup in 86 Syncro - Need advice Reply with quote

Sounds to me like tired batteries. they're 'floodies,' so first make sure they're full of distilled water. If they are, the next step is to take them to your FLAPS and have them load tested. I'd bet a nickel they're toast at 10 years old.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old Solar setup in 86 Syncro - Need advice Reply with quote

Lead acid batteries can last ten years in a solar system if meticulously maintained.
Almost certainly dead.
I prefer an MPPT charge controller and a pure sign wave inverter but I am guessing that all you need is new batteries.
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old Solar setup in 86 Syncro - Need advice Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I though this post was going to break the record for most views without a comment! Smile

If I get new batteries, could I go with two 12v without changing anything else, or would I have to change other parts of the system then?

Tobias - What would be the difference / benefit of the MPPT Charge Controller and Pure Sign Wave Inverter?

Thanks again!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old Solar setup in 86 Syncro - Need advice Reply with quote

Yes you can go with one 12v or 2 if you need the capacity. Of course you wire the 12v positive to positive to keep the set at 12v vs the way your current 6 v are wired.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old Solar setup in 86 Syncro - Need advice Reply with quote

Do you have any evidence that the batteries are 10 years old? The system was built 10 years ago but were the batteries replaced somewhere along the line?
You can use a voltmeter on the batteries to verify that the numbers you are seeing on the controller are accurate. You can also get the batteries load tested at a battery store or maybe a FLAPs if you can find someone that knows what they are doing. If the batteries are truly 10 years old then I will also cast a vote that the batteries are toast.

6 volt golf cart batteries are actually a good solution and you can get them at Costco for a reasonable price. With 2 you usually end up with 200+ amp hours which can feed a truck frig for a few days before you need to recharge. That could be a good thing you if camp in a non-solar friendily place.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old Solar setup in 86 Syncro - Need advice Reply with quote

You should see some of date code — a sticker or something — on them. Pull one out and see. My original starter battery was 15 years old when I replaced it. But I didn’t know that until I lifted it out.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: