Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 66 owner and vw rookie
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: New 66 owner and vw rookie Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I just picked up an all original 66 as a project for me and my dad for 2200 bucks. Needs heater channels of course but my main concern is the rot near the rear window channel and rear roof quarter skin. I have searched for new and used panels for that area and can’t seem to find anything. The rot goes all the way through where they injected the foam. The car has good pans runs great and is complete. But now I’m wondering if the damage is beyond my skill set. I’m decent at welding panels but the complex angles and window channel has got me wondering if it’s too much and maybe need to part with it and try to find something better. We are not looking for perfection here just a decent bug to enjoy. So any help on where to get the rear roof quarter panels would be great. And also what other pieces do I need besides heater channels? What are decent channels. Thanks in advance guys and girls. Sorry so long. But I need help with this
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: New 66 owner and vw rookie Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba! Only you know what your skill set/comfort level is. That area is probably one of the worst to repair. You can easily drive it as-is & worry about it later or the easiest thing to do is to find a shell in better shape & transfer it to your pan.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: New 66 owner and vw rookie Reply with quote

Here is the problem with rot - its always way worse that it looks....Once you take a wire wheel or media blast to it, it will be much more extensive. The plus side is that being a 66, a lot of body parts are the same as a later car, meaning donor parts are readily available.

Really gets down to what you want to do yourself or farm out or if you don't want to do anything.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: