Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Green apple monster rebuild thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

I don't understand why you'd mount that Brazilian grill under the bus. That isn't much more than a dressing/cover for the radiator. If it is under the bus that grill would be practically useless.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacbohoova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

I wouldn't mount the grill under the bus. Just the radiator.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

jacbohoova wrote:
how well does the radiator on the bottom work?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's a radical bus, holy shit Shocked
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

jacbohoova wrote:
I wouldn't mount the grill under the bus. Just the radiator.

Oh geeze. I think I totally misunderstood your initial question. I thought you meant the bottom one of the two pics. Were you asking about a radiator under the bus?

Most of us around here refer to that as a "belly mount" radiator. Mine works fine.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacbohoova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

I live in Yuma az with a v8 so I'm wondering if the belly mount is enough.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

Getting ready to toss a bunch of stuff at it again! I ordered brakes, suspension, and a fuel tank from red nine a few weeks back and here’s a pic with the amg 19” wheels it’s going to ride on. My students will be handling everything except for the radiator relocation. I’ll have to go full custom High in the d-pillars to prevent them being seen. My belly mount has kept me from going lower. I plan on using this for a notoriety project for the school so it’ll be a little hard stepping away for the first time since getting it in 2008.

Here goes nothing!

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

Pics of the red9 suspension!!!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

I won’t see it until the turn of the new year due to the 12 week lead time. I paid a few weeks back so it should be underway.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

I’m really happy with the completeness of the kit and the engineering that went into it. It’s installing great so far! Brakes look dinky inside 19” wheels, I’m regretting not going with the full tilt upgrade purely on aesthetics there. The 4 wheel discs will be an improvement no matter what though.

....and yes that’s a rust hole In an eight year old klockerholm dogleg. These aren’t e-coated inside the boxed section so I’m guessing they started rotting from day one Sad

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

Any chance you could measure from the underside of the frame ahead of the beam to the bottom of the Red9 crosspiece and/or the lowest point of the suspension? I've been curious for some time what the ground clearance might be like with one of these front ends, especially when not mounted in the "lowered" position.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

The lowest point will be the rack and pinion. The deciding factor on this vulnerability is how you set your coil overs. I intend on moving this around when I get it back on the ground to set it where I like it. I also may fab up a guard for this piece. I’m going to guess there’s at least 5” to spare and that won’t change no matter where it’s bolted to the body. More pics to come when my adjustable rear arms come in from vintage v-dubs. Tires should be in @ then too. It’ll be on some 245/40-19’s

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

I'm on the fence with this mod... once you go jersey you don't go back. This was easier than narrowing the torsion tubes and relocating the rear shocks. These weren't really meant to hold a tire this wide without some heavy mods.

No going back now

The wheels are Mercedes c230 (I'm going by what the dude I bought them off of-who knows). Tires are 245/40-19. Studs front and rear were replaced with longer to fit the wheels. Dorman part #610-426 press fits as normal but is a reduction in thread diameter to 1/2-20. They're readily available and stock for a 98-06 crown Vic.

These pics are with the suspension set at the second highest bolt hole. The highest is still lower than stock and I couldn't imagine going lower with this tire combo.

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

This is the adjusted ride height. It’s adjusted low enough to have travel without needing elevated seat pedestals. The front bumper is set at 13” and the rack rides 6.5” off the ground.

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

It’s a shame they don’t make that front suspension with stock ride height. I think I would like the steering setup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

The first pic is with a 25.5” tire and the highest setting. Not much lower than stock

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

The stock proportioning valve can be reused but I went with a manual bias. It’ll be under the driver seat for quick adjustment.

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Green apple monster rebuild thread Reply with quote

Its home and has officially driven to the end of the driveway. I’ll be painting the lower green again soon and laying on another blue stripe. It’s nice to see it doing anything under its own power.. 2014 was along time ago in bus years.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Jump to:
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: