Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Firewall mount rear bumper from cracking my firewall
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Firewall mount rear bumper from cracking my firewall Reply with quote

My firewall mount rear bumper has cracked my firewall at both mounts. I’m going to fish plate this, probably on the inside this and run the plate across the firewall.

I can’t be the only one with this issue.

How have you prevented this (apart from installing a cage and putting the pickup points there)?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Firewall mount rear bumper from cracking my firewall Reply with quote

By connecting the inside plates to the back bars of the roll cage. That's the ONLY way to prevent making holes and cracks in the firewall.

Aside from connecting the bumper to the cage, I hate firewall mount bumpers.

And NOPE, you are NOT the only one around here who's had that trouble. Like Ricosuave. He just about tore the whole back of the body out.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Firewall mount rear bumper from cracking my firewall Reply with quote

Bumper should connect to chassis/cage... Putting bumper to fiberglass is like mounting bumper to a potato chip...

OOPS!.... Misread firewall for fiberglass....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Firewall mount rear bumper from cracking my firewall Reply with quote

The firewall is steel (it’s the factory stamped steel).

My car has no cage. And I didn’t want to cage it. If I put in a Roll Bar, it will limit the use of the back seat which was a big reason I got a baja over a side by side.

I guess I will have to come up with something. Maybe I can triangulate the inside of the firewall down to the floor behind the rear seats. I guess I could tie shoulder harnesses into this too...
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Firewall mount rear bumper from cracking my firewall Reply with quote

Instead of reinventing the wheel and to go through a hell of a lot of work. I would go with a different bumper. One that connects to the shock area. That's what I have always used. In fact I was rear ended with this setup. On my car it mutilated the license plate and its light. The other car, thousands of dollars in damage.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Firewall mount rear bumper from cracking my firewall Reply with quote

very lite hit. notice oil under push rods.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2 small dents in the ram truck. Took out frame and motor.

unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Firewall mount rear bumper from cracking my firewall Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Instead of reinventing the wheel and to go through a hell of a lot of work. I would go with a different bumper. One that connects to the shock area. That's what I have always used. In fact I was rear ended with this setup. On my car it mutilated the license plate and its light. The other car, thousands of dollars in damage.

Do you have a picture of your setup?
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Firewall mount rear bumper from cracking my firewall Reply with quote

When I got my '64 baja it was one of the first things I removed and went with the shock mounted.

here is the one mounted on my dune buggy:

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Firewall mount rear bumper from cracking my firewall Reply with quote

The shock tower mount bumper multi69s is talking about and shown bent on the back of cbeck's Baja is available as the standard EMPI shock mount bumper. Check your friendly (internet) neighborhood VW supply house for bumpers. Also available with 2 cross tubes.

I had one on my Baja for many years when my dad owned it.

That one was made by Hobrecht company who have not been around for years. But the design is imitated and carried on by EMPI. They added a pair of side bars for a little more engine protection.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Firewall mount rear bumper from cracking my firewall Reply with quote

I’m going to see if I can modify mine to be shock mount. It should just be a modification of the top tube. Thank you for all of the info and photos.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: