Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint with a roller - fail! Help?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

Hey Folks, so while I'm going through the bus and doing body work here and there I am repainting with a good Alkyd paint that matches the original color. Sure it's messy and you can see brush marks and such, but things are protected and really it's just temporary.

Well, I tried a roller today and it was a disaster - I ended up removing it all and just dealing with the brush. Post-roller, the paint had lots of roller lint stuck in it - a lot! Plus there were air bubbles everywhere and it was extremely.... textured? I've seen some decent roller jobs on here and for the life of me can't find the thread I'm looking for right now.

The Alkyd paint I'm using is a bit on the thick side so I splashed a bit of thinner in it - maybe I didn't use enough. Is there a different type of roller I should be using rather than the standard Ace Hardware special?

I'm not looking for show quality right now - just not a train wreck. Anyone have any input?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
I'm not looking for show quality right now

Yeah, you don't have to worry about it.

Years ago a friend bought a old Ford F1 pickup that was painted with house point. Once media blasted the metal was in perfect condition. The house paint saved the body.

Have you put any thought into how to remove it when you want a good paint job?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

Darn it - found the thread! I should have used a foam roller!

Rolling Eyes
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

Search "roll and tip" paint method

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

How it should look:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

Glenn, I will likely just take some time and sand it down - not too bad with power tools. Either way that's likely a few years out.

I think I'm going to give this another shot. I was going to stick with stock colors but I might do something radical.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
I was going to stick with stock colors but I might do something radical.

Stock colors will look better. Anything too off will look odd.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

Probably won't be too off - I really like the Dakota Beige color on the top of the bus - I might just do the whole thing that color.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

last time I had to remove hose paint from a car I wanted to hunt the guy down and speedbag his ballsack.

house paint clogs sand paper like you can't imagine. the only sane way to remove is media blasting

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
last time I had to remove hose paint from a car I wanted to hunt the guy down and speedbag his ballsack.

house paint clogs sand paper like you can't imagine. the only sane way to remove is media blasting

Citrus Strip did ok on the house paint on my Boston Theatre bus. Can't say the same for the bondo they used to "build" the rear corners..
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

I'm sure there are products to remove it. when I do something it's a time=money thing, and I don't like to cross pollinate products when I'm doing body work. 99% of the time I media blast. far faster than hand stripping and cheaper than buying sand paper.

I can have a whole bus naked in about 2-3 hours for 1k. learned my lesson a long time ago...spend your time, or spend your money...don't spend both

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

I'm sure there are products to remove it. when I do something it's a time=money thing, and I don't like to cross pollinate products when I'm doing body work. 99% of the time I media blast. far faster than hand stripping and cheaper than buying sand paper.

I can have a whole bus naked in about 2-3 hours for 1k. learned my lesson a long time ago...spend your time, or spend your money...don't spend both

Why spend another $1000 to remove paint now? .... he can buy a gallon of exterior house paint on sale for $25, and doesn't need the bus to look good, only needs to hide the rust and bondo until he flips it when he is done with it. Use newspaper and cheap masking tape to cover the windows while painting. Pull a couple old tee shirts over the front seats as upholstery, find some carpet ripped out of a home or commerce for the back floor, throw a couple of dryer fabric sheets in the bus for scent & poof - Done!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Why spend another $1000 to remove paint now? .... he can buy a gallon of exterior house paint on sale for $25, and doesn't need the bus to look good, only needs to hide the rust and bondo until he flips it when he is done with it. Use newspaper and cheap masking tape to cover the windows while painting. Pull a couple old tee shirts over the front seats as upholstery, find some carpet ripped out of a home or commerce for the back floor, throw a couple of dryer fabric sheets in the bus for scent & poof - Done!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Worked for me! I better stay the hell out of Connecticut I guess or wear a codpiece when passing through...... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

Penetrol will help to get prevent both brush and roller marks, while adding hardner will speed up the curing time.

It is my understanding that there are at least two basic kinds of alkyd paints. The one I used on my 77 14'ish years ago shows no scratching after having driven many miles of brushy dirt roads and having been generally mistreated. I don't know enough about the different alkaloid paints to say which kind works best, don't even know which kind I used as I didn't know that were different kinds of alkyd paints when I bought it.

Last edited by Wildthings on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

Quote:
speedbag his ballsack

I don't Lol much. I just did
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Worked for me! I better stay the hell out of Connecticut I guess or wear a codpiece when passing through...... Cool

Please see my ad in classifieds for OG codpieces.

Steve and Don make any thread worth reading....
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Please see my ad in classifieds for OG codpieces.

Steve and Don make any thread worth reading....

Are still trying to get $650 each for those smelly old things, or have you come to your senses?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

Although you're set with the Media Blasting, as a tip, use Festool Granat Abrasive for Removing Paint from something. It was developed with the Automotive World in mind, and is now being used as their Go-To abrasive for almost any material that's common like Wood, Metal, Paint, Plaster, Film Finishes etc. So much so that Festool discontinued 2 other abrasives since Granat sales tanked those other 2 abrasives with Commercial Users switching out entire shops to Granat since it greatly simplified buying Abrasives with only 1 type needed, in what ever grits are useful for the user.

If you don't want to spend the money on one of their Sanders to mount Granat Discs onto, you can still buy Granat in rolls of different Grits that have a foam backing, so they're flexible for tight spots and other hard to reach places.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

Wow... this thread went all... Samba.

Shocked
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

Alkyd paint is not house paint. Alkyd will be fine on the exterior of your Bus though it could be improved with the use of a hardener and still be rolled on, if that is your only option.

I would suggest that you find a local automotive paint supplier for supplies and advice. The alkyd paint I buy through my supplier is cheaper than Rustoleum at the hardware store and I use it with a hardener made to go with the product. They could make it up in whatever color and sheen you want. For a roller paint job I wouldn't make it too glossy. Try satin.

I use this on tin, suspension parts, wheels, etc..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Paint with a roller - fail! Help? Reply with quote

Make sure the runs are included, they add character.

I get it, especially for you as that is your business time\money. When I lived near people in southern NH, would go for blasting (even as a hobbyist) over doing it myself. Now, 40 miles south of Canada, it is a time thing too. It takes 75 minutes in good weather to get to a grocery store so I did a search for "media blasting" near me. Only a 6.5 hour tow one way Sad.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: