Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustyDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RustyDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

I pulled this bus out of a barn in Northern Utah where we live. I have known the previous owner for years and what a great guy he is. He traded for this bus back in 1987. He drove it and enjoyed it for 3 years when it drove into the barn and did not leave. It was a complete bus until about 9 years ago when his cars were robbed of all the crazy, hard to find pieces.
The seller called and asked me to come up and chat. We talked buses, work and about life. We struck a deal a few days later.
We are honored to be the next custodian of this SO34. We are searching for parts, pictures and help to get this bus back on the road. We plan to clean it up and make it a driver. We have a lot of beautiful places to camp here in Utah and we can't wait to enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

So what are the plans for the bus!! Shocked
RustyDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

The plan is to continue cleaning it up. Use TR-3 on the paint. Do some metal work in a few areas that need attention. Try and find the missing table, spare tire table mount and cargo door cabinet. We may have to go with a repop though. It came with some tent poles but missing 4 pieces.
a fresh 1776 motor will go in it soon. A fresh big nut trans has just been mounted up. Worked on the front brakes today. It will be back on the road soon. It will remain stock height and as original as possible.
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Amazing find. Im super jealous.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Awesome Westy find! You two must be stoked! Thanks for sharing, looking forward to following along.

Last edited by oakman on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Such a great find. I am in for the rest of the build.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Great updates looking forward to more. RustyDC can you tell me why you chose a 1776 replacement engine as I have thought of getting something stronger than my 1600 DP but I suppose for me "don't fix what is not broken".

RustyDC wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

The plan is to continue cleaning it up. Use TR-3 on the paint. Do some metal work in a few areas that need attention. Try and find the missing table, spare tire table mount and cargo door cabinet. We may have to go with a repop though. It came with some tent poles but missing 4 pieces.
a fresh 1776 motor will go in it soon. A fresh big nut trans has just been mounted up. Worked on the front brakes today. It will be back on the road soon. It will remain stock height and as original as possible.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

RustyDC wrote:
It will remain stock height and as original as possible.

Thank you for that ^^^
It will be interesting to see how that paint cleans up. Keep the pics coming !!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Looks like a non Westy tent, anyone recognize it?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
RustyDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Looks like a non Westy tent, anyone recognize it?

it very well could be a non westy tent. He owned other buses over the years.
RustyDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

These are the poles that i found inside of the bus. It looks like I am missing a few. Anyone have any for sale? or anyone repop them?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

RustyDC wrote:

These are the poles that i found inside of the bus. It looks like I am missing a few. Anyone have any for sale? or anyone repop them?

You are missing the four diagonal poles that mount from the bumpers to the awning and naturally the two other halves of the other poles. You are also missing the toilet tent poles.
The tent pictured looks to have a flat top and frills? For sure not Westy, but could be from a EZ, or other non Westy conversion.
Your poles are Westfalia.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Right on! What a Bus!!!

You guys look real happy. This one is gonna be so much fun for you guys, I can't wait to see the progress you make with it. Congrats!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Such a great find and a great family to be it's next caretaker.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Finds like this are fewer and farther between, but it lights a candle in my psyche that original unrestored buses are still out there!
Congrats, and please keep posting pix of your progress!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

outstanding find - cant wait to see you work your magic Tony
RustyDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind words. So far the Westy crowd sure is a good one. Thank you to those who have send PM's also.

We are trying to source the correct color material to redo the front bench and wedge pillows.
Also looking for someone to make red curtains. Who offers the best material/prices?

Would also love to have a cargo door cabinet made.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

Congrats on a great find! Looking for updates on this one... what an amazing start...
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn find 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westy Reply with quote

RustyDC wrote:
It looks like I am missing a few. Anyone have any for sale? or anyone repop them?

Cip1 has them. I would order them now. I’m not sure what the stock is, but there was none on the market for (what felt like) a long time. Maybe they’re around forever, but the definitely weren’t for a while...

People want insane money for real ones. Realistically it’s just a tube nobody will look at. I mean the price they want for even the repops is outlandish, but it is what it is.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: