Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What non-VW projects are you working on?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

That's in great shape. Nice score.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
That's in great shape. Nice score.

It is not too bad. Like most old cars, it has had questionable bodywork done that I will have to redo at some point. But, I figure we will get it running and driving and enjoy it this year.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

finally finished it up and assembled, did some test riding on the weekend to check the toe-in and how things were tracking.

some live action video,
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwAruVdHkDL/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

So I am working on this:

Wifey's old Tercel; been in the driveway for 23 years. She now has an FJ Cruiser, and won't drive this anymore, so now it is mine. The original engine in these were one of Toyota's worst efforts, and this one is getting the boot after only 156,000 km. Given I am stuck with it, I am going to have some fun and the upgrade engine/trans swap has begun, and it will end up being a bit lower, louder, and faster. Thinking Minilite rims at the moment... And yes, this is a complete waste of time and money...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

I'm an idiot. Last year I got a hold of one of the most beautiful cars ever made. It shouldn't take much to make it a reliable driver and from there work on the interior to make it pretty. Instead I'm spending most of my time on trying to bring a '55 oval back from the dead Brick wall

Here's my other project:

The reason I could afford it is because it has a Ford 302 on it. It works, I can put miles on it without worrying about the drivetrain as much. Also that's a really misleading picture, the paint on it is crap.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Every now and then someone does an engine swap in one of those British cars and puts a perfectly good mechanic out of work!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

I drained my above-ground pool today (4000 gallons) as the water was high in calcium after a few years and I needed to re-patch a manufacturing defect in the vinyl liner. I expect to start filling up tomorrow morning.

And I changed the oil and filter on my 1988 Mazda B2200 truck today as well.

And my new senior softball bat has arrived. And I restrung softball gloves for two guys I know.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

My wife and I just bought a 2007 17ft. Springdale travel trailer.
The PO bought it new and had done a lot upgrades to it.
Need to clean it and repack wheel bearings.
Now I have to get our 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel ready.It needs new tires and headlights and going to change the transmission fluid.
Looking forward to taking the trailer out.
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Rebuilding a 1930 Beerador beer cooler. I am not rebuilding the refrigeration on and making it in to a whisky cabinet.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Firewood
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Nothing fancy but last week I sold my 02 Nissan Maxima for $2300:

And bought this fixer-upper 03 Maxima for $500:

After about $300 more in repair parts (new alternator, new oil pan, valve cover gaskets, plugs, coils etc) I am keeping my fingers crossed it's running by the weekend!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Sat May 25, 2019 3:18 am; edited 2 times in total
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

So Sb whats your new dd? The 69?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
So Sb whats your new dd? The 69?

Yes... for the time being. As with all air cooled VWs though, it does not like it.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

1989 Dodge Dakota Sport convertible. Factory convertible truck and I am the original owner. Hoping to start driving it again this summer as my get around daily driver.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Pics please , always wanted one of them. Why didnt they catch on?
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

New floor complete- 2 1/2 Maytags kept out of the landfill and repurposed. Good and solid.

Pulled the very tired Y-Block out of this '56 F250 for a complete re-do.

Balanced, some semi-fancy headwork, should be a good, stump-pulling torque motor. Y-Blocks are the predecessor to the FE series.

All of which is helping me get over this, which happened in early February.
A year's work gone. The cause is still a mystery, happened while I was in the house so by the time I realized it was burning it was too late.
Damn near lost my shop. Thank goodness for the sheriff's deputies and the VFD.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide on a replacement bench vise for my place up north. Current one has jaws that don't align too well.

Here I have an old 4" Alltrade bench vise, like 4 decades old now, bought it new at a swap meet.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:
All of which is helping me get over this, which happened in early February.
A year's work gone. The cause is still a mystery, happened while I was in the house so by the time I realized it was burning it was too late.
Damn near lost my shop. Thank goodness for the sheriff's deputies and the VFD.

Oh man, what a bummer!, and not even while driving, that would drive me nuts trying to figure out how it started Confused
Sorry to hear about your loss, although the Y block project looks like a good distraction.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

Many years ago my brother had a '56 F150 in that same pastel green. I rebuilt the engine for him (272 ci Y block) in high school automotive class.

Brings back memories!
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: What non-VW projects are you working on? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Oh man, what a bummer!, and not even while driving, that would drive me nuts trying to figure out how it started Confused
Sorry to hear about your loss, although the Y block project looks like a good distraction.

Thanks, man. Still hurts like Hell. I towed the wreck over to a pal of mine in the next town, a VW/Porsche wrench w/ decades of experience for help determining what happened as i couldn't bear to be near it let alone poke around in the ashes looking for clues.
Still there is no obvious cause.
To tell you the truth i wish it was some glaring dumb thing i did as that would give me something to learn from, but...sigh.

oprn wrote:
Many years ago my brother had a '56 F150 in that same pastel green. I rebuilt the engine for him (272 ci Y block) in high school automotive class.

Brings back memories!

Do you remember how friggin' heavy the chunks of that Y-Block were? Wish I still had a highschooler's pep.
Lugging the pieces around makes me feel like I spent the last week building a flight of stairs then throwing myself down 'em.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: