Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

When installing the body side trim and hood trim, do the rubber boots go on from the outside and then the clips go in them. Or do the clips go through the body and the boots just go in from the backside of the metal?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Anyone? LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
When installing the body side trim and hood trim, do the rubber boots go on from the outside and then the clips go in them. Or do the clips go through the body and the boots just go in from the backside of the metal?

The rubber boots go in from the outside and then the clip goes into it
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

andrewda wrote:
obnoxiousblue wrote:

The rubber boots go in from the outside and then the clip goes into it

But be careful as you can push the boots through.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

In the engine compartment, does the wire harness in a 64 go between the tar boards and the metal firewall or above the tarboards?
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I put mine behind the tar boards.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
mukluk wrote:
That's an outstanding job on the headliner, don't see them come out that nice often.
Popcorn

Thanks! Coming from you, that is a huge compliment!
I know Beetle headliners are really hard to do - and in full transparency this was done at a shop, not by me. Not really having anything to compare to (I came from the bus world) I was worried about how it looked. So your approval means alot!

Mr. Mike wrote:
Gorgeous car and amazing work,
Optima makes a very nice dry cell 6v battery. Mine cranks everytime, even after sitting for months. They will not fit in the battery strap or cover. Too tall...
And folks have work arounds for that
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly
Cheers!
Mike

Thanks, I will look into that thread. I had hoped to stay with something a bit more stock looking just because I'm weird like that but I do like the Optima batteries and if I can make it fit it would be worth considering!

herbie1200 wrote:
Be sure to use a good soundproofing:

1 - under the ceiling, dynamat is OK; this is a "resonance" noise
2 - on the rear luggage area: this is the engine noise that exit from the fan intake, directly from the heads and cylindes
3 - on the area below the rear window: all noise from the engine escapes via the... "louvres"? "openings"? directly to the opposite side of this area.

I glued all my interiors and installed the headliner then... had to rework to put sound insulation

We did use soundproofing. We have it on the ceiling, as well as on the rear luggage area up to the bottom of the window. It was a combination of Dynamat in "heavy sound" areas and padding in places to kill that dead space echo.

I had a "What was I thinking" when I first did my '64. I put dynamat on the roof. Horrible idea when I found that heat from the sun melted the tar and dripped into the headliner. It worked out though, I wanted to replace the window rubber so I re-did the headliner and used the correct material to deaden the sound.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I have a jute-type material on the roof. The dynamat is on the floor and the tunnel.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I got to installing the drivers side vent window. I never did these before and installed it while watching a video on YouTube. The video definitely helped. The only thing I am not 100% thrilled with is the way the rubber stretched around the vent window latch. It seems that the visible edge of the rubber curves a little there. Otherwise a nice solid feeling window.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I'm going to replace my headlights. I saw the ones from Wolfsburg West but was thinking I might be better using a nice used or "restored/original" set for my car.
I'm curious which I should go with - clear glass or fluted glass.
One of the sellers also lists that the insides are painted "chalk green" - would that color be appropriate for my 64?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2178858

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2182804

Or should I just use a new set from WW?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
I'm going to replace my headlights. I saw the ones from Wolfsburg West but was thinking I might be better using a nice used or "restored/original" set for my car.
One of the sellers also lists that the insides are painted "chalk green" - would that color be appropriate for my 64?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2178858

Or should I just use a new set from WW?

The seller of the headlights above is overpriced on like 99.9% of his ads so I have to automatically assume those are too much money but you may find out differently.

I would say unless the headlight lenses he used are NOS they will have scratches and pitting.

The insides of the buckets are a light grey, I'm not sure what they mean by chalk green
You can see the original color of those buckets around the logos here, he taped the logos off when he repainted them

The date code of Z 16 is actually 1963. Z = 1963
They do have the SB19 SB20 SB21 64-66 lenses in them though so they would look correct.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
In the engine compartment, does the wire harness in a 64 go between the tar boards and the metal firewall or above the tarboards?

The wires go between the firewall and the tar boards, then exit on the left about halfway up and at the lower right. I found a couple pics in the gallery that show it fairly well.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
The only thing I am not 100% thrilled with is the way the rubber stretched around the vent window latch. It seems that the visible edge of the rubber curves a little there.

You may be able to get the seal to sit a little flatter by running a plastic spatula between the door and seal to uncurl the edge, but overall the seal looks pretty decent as is in my opinion. Vent window seals are possibly one of the most infuriating to make fit and none of the new production ones seem to quite replicate the originals.

obnoxiousblue wrote:

Your call on going with originals or WW assemblies. I can tell you I've been running the ones from WW for over six years now and have been very happy with them.
The lens style you want depends on what type of headlight bulb you're wanting to use: clear lenses are used with standard US-spec sealed bulbs while fluted lenses are used with Euro-spec non-sealed beam bulbs. Using fluted lenses with sealed beam bulbs (which have their own fluting) will result in poor headlamp beam control, making visibility at night bad.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

So I installed the right side door vent window today. It went a bit tougher than the left door. I saw a video online suggesting to trim the inside of the seal where it overlays the window catch to help it lay more flat. That did work. This seal seems to bind more when the window closes - almost up near the hinge so I'll have to hunt a bit more and see if the seal is binding somewhere.

In a striking fit of irony, I finish getting the window installed and while tight to close it did close. I worked if a few times and the darn roll pin popped out of the window release! I have to look on the garage floor and inside the car when I have more light. I looked on the drivers side, and that side too was half out! I pushed it in and after a few open/close rotations it was walking out again! What am I missing?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Sounds like the roll pin is slightly too small so it won't grip the catch correctly.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I put in a decent sized WW order so I can pick back up on my bug.
I ordered new vent window gaskets again too, the windows are REALLY tight and I'm wondering if I did something wrong or perhaps it's a bad seal.

Among the parts I ordered were new locking front door handles too. They come with an SC KEY, has anyone transferred their lock cylinders from an original set of handles to a new set?
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

How does the windscreen washer push button get secured in the switch?
I thought it threaded in, but it doesn’t. I have the pull knob on, and the push knob goes through the center but it doesn’t stay in place. What am I doing wrong?

When I took the dash apartment there was a vinyl punch out behind the grilles to the right and left of the speedo. I bought new mesh from WW and got them in place. What should I be using - if anything - between the metal of the dash and those mesh inserts? Is that to keep down rattle, give contrast? I was thinking black felt?

My car is a 64, but I’ve always liked the look of the earlier -63 turn signals and popes nose. Those were the only changes I made to the car and they’re easy to revert. Should I use amber or clear lenses? I really wanted the clear, but I think the amber gives the car a bit of contrast and looks more appropriate. What do most folks do?

I want to keep my car 6 Volt, I don’t see any practical reason to change it since everything works. That said, I do want a radio, and preferably a Retrosound even if with just one speaker. I want to be able to connect to my phone for calls or streaming music. Of course a Retrosound is 12 Volt. Has anyone ever used a converter to adapt specifically the radio?
Like this one:
https://www.classiccarstereos.com/negative-ground-6v-to-12v-converter.html

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Folks, I need help. I'm having a hard time with some things.

1) How does the windscreen washer button secure inside the pull switch?

2) I installed my vent windows (see above) and got the seals in. The windows are VERY tight and are nearly impossible to close, especially without putting some weight against them to secure the latches.
I have bought new seals to re-do the project but am hoping someone may have some words of advice or tips. I used the videos on YouTube from Classic VW Bugs.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I can’t help about the windscreen washer button, however I also have installed the WW vent rubber and they’ve been in use for a couple of years now. They are indeed a tight fit, and I cannot just grab the latch from the inside and close them. So what I do is just use both hands on the front and rear of the window and twist/push it all the way closed and then use one hand to latch it. Seems to work great and they haven’t leaked a drop of water so far nor do they have any wind noise so I’ll live with them being tight. I also had to trim the rubber around the inside latch to make it fit better.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
ebenasky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I have a 64 that the washer button kept sliding out. I found a simple fix. Take out the button and VERY GENTLY give it a VERY SLIGHT bend in the middle. Once I did that it put just enough tension on it to be able to be pushed in, but it doesn't try to come out when I turn on the wipers.

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Folks, I need help. I'm having a hard time with some things.

1) How does the windscreen washer button secure inside the pull switch?

2) I installed my vent windows (see above) and got the seals in. The windows are VERY tight and are nearly impossible to close, especially without putting some weight against them to secure the latches.
I have bought new seals to re-do the project but am hoping someone may have some words of advice or tips. I used the videos on YouTube from Classic VW Bugs.

- '60 Beetle "Ruby"
- '70 Beetle "Peace"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: