Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

I was looking at JBugs, they have dropped spindles for that most perfect retarded look for $109, but raised spindles are $670?! Why!

If that's the going rate I would imagine somebody would be making them for a lot less?
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

don1357 wrote:
I was looking at JBugs, they have dropped spindles for that most perfect retarded look for $109, but raised spindles are $670?! Why!

If that's the going rate I would imagine somebody would be making them for a lot less?

You can get raised combo spindles for under $500. That said, there more expensive then drop spindle because they have to be stronger. Lowering the spindle height for lift puts alot of leverage on the lower pin therefore most lift spindles are forged that way to be stronger. Offroad puts far more stress on components then street driving.
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
don1357 wrote:

You can get raised combo spindles for under $500. That said, there more expensive then drop spindle because they have to be stronger. Lowering the spindle height for lift puts alot of leverage on the lower pin therefore most lift spindles are forged that way to be stronger. Offroad puts far more stress on components then street driving.

That doesn't explain the x6 price difference. It doesn't have $550 worth of extra steel. Heck it shouldn't have $550 worth of extra labor on a production item...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

You quoted the price for the Latest Rage Forged lifted combo link spindles. Cold forged 4140 steel, needle bearings for king pins, 1.5" diameter king pins as compared to 3/4" diameter stock, way stouter spindle shank, and more.

But the drop spindles are EMPI. That one word right there should explain MUCH of the difference in price. Plus they don't include links, king pins, link pins, bushings or anything else and have stock size skinny little spindle snout. Just adding the link and king pin kit is another $62, or 2/3 again the price of the spindles without them.

Not to mention that as was pointed out before, the lifted spindles are for offroad use and thus need to be far stronger than for parking lot lowrider Bugs.

Even the EMPI heavy duty (NOT combo link) spindles without the lift go for 3x the price of the lowered spindles. But then, like the lifted combo spindles you quoted the price for, they include HD forged links, king pins, heavy duty bushings, that the drop spindles DO NOT include. Non lifted combo link spindles cost $420. Note that the lifted combo link spindles cost 50% more than non-lifted combo link spindles.

Need to compare a little closer to apples to apples before you raise a fuss about the difference.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out. I just looked at JBugs and the most expensive dropped spindles for drums they have is $109. On the other hand the least expensive lifted spindles is $639.

Is there an inexpensive option for lifted spindles anywhere?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

There are some folks who have cut the spindle snout off, cut the back off another spindle, and welded the snout from the 2nd spindle onto the flat face of the other in a raised position. But that has sometimes left those folks on the side of the road (if they're lucky) with a broken spindle.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

If you want lift you can buy a new beam with adjusters for under $300 and swap all your parts onto it.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

Quote:

Thing spindles. I only say this because I already have mine.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
Quote:

Thing spindles. I only say this because I already have mine.

These might cost $600 but wont work because I think the OP is talking linkpin.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

There's also barndoor spindles but good luck finding them, if you do I doubt they'll be cheap due to rarity. Only real cost effective solution is custom fab'd. You can buy LP, BJ, or Combo spindle spuds for <$100. Would be cool if someone would just waterjet out a plate that bolts to a stock spindle using the backing plate bolts, has a register for the new spud. Then just cut the old spud off and weld the plate to the spindle and the spud to the plate. Could probably make a kit for close to $100.
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

I'm guessing that the best bet would be starting with a brand new set of weld-on spindles and a brand new set of mounting plates. Basically cut spindle off the link pin leaving a flush surface, weld the spindle to the mounting plate, weld the mounting plate to the link pin...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That would be about $83 in parts (plus the link pin to operate on). Still cheaper than hacking a pair of spindles to get the spindles on a plate, plus the new metal should lead to a stronger weld. The only thing is that it looks like even a mellow lift could interfere with the lower link assembly.

I need to find me a donor link pin beam to try it, find out the clearance issues with the bottom link pin assembly.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

Great Idea, I would love to see this succeed.

Best regards, Jeff
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

You do start getting close with the lower pins depending on your geometery - my new hubs even have a recess in the back of the spindle itself to clear the link pin Laughing
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

don1357 wrote:
I'm guessing that the best bet would be starting with a brand new set of weld-on spindles and a brand new set of mounting plates. Basically cut spindle off the link pin leaving a flush surface, weld the spindle to the mounting plate, weld the mounting plate to the link pin...

That would be about $83 in parts (plus the link pin to operate on). Still cheaper than hacking a pair of spindles to get the spindles on a plate, plus the new metal should lead to a stronger weld. The only thing is that it looks like even a mellow lift could interfere with the lower link assembly.

I need to find me a donor link pin beam to try it, find out the clearance issues with the bottom link pin assembly.

That's cool, I didn't realize someone was selling the backing plate mounting components as well for fabrication use. I might have to retreat into my cave and see how I could use that...
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:

That's cool, I didn't realize someone was selling the backing plate mounting components as well for fabrication use. I might have to retreat into my cave and see how I could use that...

I can see how prone to failure is trying to just weld a spindle that got cut off from a donnor plate could be, not enough area to really lay the strongest weld. With a brand new spindle on a brand new plate that can be welded from the front and the back the weld should not be the weak link.

Heck even if all I get is inch and a half, trimming the stops may be enough to get me where I want to be. There's always cutting a turning the beam just a hair to really dial things in.
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

don1357 wrote:
petrol punk wrote:

I can see how prone to failure is trying to just weld a spindle that got cut off from a donnor plate could be, not enough area to really lay the strongest weld. With a brand new spindle on a brand new plate that can be welded from the front and the back the weld should not be the weak link.

Heck even if all I get is inch and a half, trimming the stops may be enough to get me where I want to be. There's always cutting a turning the beam just a hair to really dial things in.

I still have these spindles I'm planning on building for one of my cars.
I basically cut the late model ball joint spindles free of their ball joint mounts and cut the spindle off of a link pin spindle. The faces of each have been faced on the lathe and are waiting to be welded together.

BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Link pin drop spindles $109, but raised ones $670? WTF? Reply with quote

tobiism wrote:
don1357 wrote:
petrol punk wrote:

I still have these spindles I'm planning on building for one of my cars.
I basically cut the late model ball joint spindles free of their ball joint mounts and cut the spindle off of a link pin spindle. The faces of each have been faced on the lathe and are waiting to be welded together.

ive done a couple bj's this way and had pretty good luck. run a bolt through the top back bottom back holes then measured the front hole distance, pretty easy peasy and gets about 2 1/2" of lift.
i did one set of kp spindles, not as easy as bj's....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: