Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first tow - ABA won't start [still not solved]
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: My first tow - ABA won't start [still not solved] Reply with quote

Waiting for the AAA operative to give me a 1 mile tow. Somehow got a no spark situation that I’ll have to sort out. According to https://www.aa1car.com/library/ignition_coils.htm i have an open coil. I can smell fuel so I feel like that’s working. No way to test at the plug with the tools I have.

I think water got somewhere it shouldn’t when I was degreasing and looking for an oil leak. It ran really poorly, progressively worse before dying altogether. Battery is strong even after extended cranking. Tips and tricks welcome.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow Reply with quote

Wet wires or water in your distributor cap most likely. Maybe the Hall sender connector?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow Reply with quote

Don't assume fuel pump is functioning normally if you can smell raw fuel. My fuel pump failed on a road trip. The thing that threw me off was that I assumed is was good because I could smell fuel & the engine was exhibiting a rich-running condition. I threw everything I had at it. ECU, AFM, FPR, throttle body, coil, hall pickup, cap.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664204&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

More time hooking/unhooking for a less than one mile tow…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Something water-y seems likely. I had a similar situation another time coolant gushed out…I'll take up the advice offered and see what I can learn. Is there way to test for spark with just one person? I can't reach that far if I need to see the plug or test light.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Just took another look…the Hall effect sender looks fine, the wires are intact. No sign of water. It's behind the distributor so maybe didn't get any coolant on it.

This doesn't look right to me:

I have two like this. So I guess plugs are something I need. What's recommended there?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Yep, those connectors have snapped off. Get all,plugs out and put a new set in and you will Bee all set.

What brand were the old ones?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Yep, those connectors have snapped off. Get all,plugs out and put a new set in and you will Bee all set.

What brand were the old ones?

Looks like NGK which I just ordered from my FLAPS. VanCafe offers those or a Bosch but FLAPS only had the NGKs. I doubt this is my problem but it sure ain't helping…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

You can burn out the coil if the spark is forced to make a jump other than where it's supposed to.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
...This doesn't look right to me:

Does the socket on your spark plug wrench have the foam insert? Doesn't look important but if it isn't there it is easy to snap off a plug.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

That was just from pulling the wire off… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe they require a more gentle touch than I used, though they didn't all break.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
More time hooking/unhooking for a less than one mile tow…

[pic]

You might want to add your photo to the official tow topic: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481782 . Wink

As for the plugs, I highly recommend cleaning the debris out from around the plugs before unscrewing them. Don't want that junk falling into the engine. Confused

And a reminder to be sure to remove the screw-on terminal cap before installing the new plugs.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

See pg 9…different image, same incident.

Yeah, all that rat exhaust or whatever it is will be cleared away. I wish I had access to power so I should blow it away with a shop vac. A little leery of washing it away with water.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
I wish I had access to power so I should blow it away with a shop vac. A little leery of washing it away with water.

It's an added expense ($5-10, depending on the store), but there are cans of compressed air you can buy. Office supply stores and many home improvement stores carry them.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
See pg 9…different image, same incident.

Yeah, all that rat exhaust or whatever it is will be cleared away. I wish I had access to power so I should blow it away with a shop vac. A little leery of washing it away with water.

Put a soccer ball fitting on your hand pump and it’s an instant shop air blast.

You have To coordinate the quick hand pump with the holding of the tip in the right place but a bit of practice makes perfect
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Spark plugs should be able to withstand pulling off the plug wires even if you are not particularly gentle in the process.

When asking for recommendations on engine specific parts (like sparkplugs), you might want to clarify that this is an inline-4 and not a WBX engine.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Spark plugs should be able to withstand pulling off the plug wires even if you are not particularly gentle in the process.

I thought as much. Somewhat surprised to see these fail in this way.

?Waldo? wrote:

When asking for recommendations on engine specific parts (like sparkplugs), you might want to clarify that this is an inline-4 and not a WBX engine.

Fair point. I am just going with what's in there now to get things restored to whatever can pass as normal.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Got new plugs today at FLAPS. Just blew out the crap around the old ones (Kam's canned air solution, FTW) and applied a dab of PBlaster to make sure they come out.

Tested the coil across the terminals and it shows 0 resistance. An open coil. Eso es no bueno. So I guess I need one of those as well. The label on this one is too tatty to make out. I'll see what FLAPS recommends for a MkIII Jetta Vanagon. The Jetta ones don't look remotely similar.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:

Tested the coil across the terminals and it shows 0 resistance.

Do you mean zero resistance (a short) or infinite resistance (open circuit)? There's a huge difference. Wink

Quote:
An open coil..
That depends on your answer to the above question...
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm wondering about that now as I read up more on this. To be clear, the result is the same as crossing the leads together.

Just read through this and realize my tests and resulting understanding are incomplete.

This — "A failed ignition coil can show up in several ways, ranging from noticeable decreases in power and fuel mileage to severe engine misfires that can sometimes render the vehicle undrivable" — seems like I am on the right track. There was a lot of bogging and slow pickup as well as a few backfires.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My first tow - won't start Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Yeah, I'm wondering about that now as I read up more on this. To be clear, the result is the same as crossing the leads together.

A good test, that I always do before measuring resistance, as most cheapo meters won't read actual zero when the probes are connected together! However, what range was your multimeter set to? I hope to the most sensitive range (usually 200 ohms full scale for the cheapies) - as the primary of the coil is only a few ohms, and if on any other range you won't get any sensible reading.
Quote:

Just read through this and realize my tests and resulting understanding are incomplete.

Learning can be fun. Smile Possible one reason we all seem to like our Vans - there's always something to figure out from scratch. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: