Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro driveshaft runout?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good idea what sort of maximum runout I should be seeing at various points along the syncro driveshaft? Is there an official spec?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a test indicator on the front flange of the shaft. I'm seeing something like +/- 0.009" from one extreme to the other -- so under 20 thousandths full indicator movement. This doesn't seem like a whole lot to me?

Driveshaft vibration is giving me fits since I replaced my engine mounts. The angles look great, the u-joints are fresh and shimmed to about 0.002" of axial play... I can't figure out what's going on...

Thanks!
-Bill
'89 Syncro
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

I don't have any runout data for you but unless your driveshaft is a really cheap knockoff it shouldn't matter.
The driveshaft is centered on the transaxle and diff by the machined recess on the ends. The outside edge may not be perfect since it doesn't matter.
Vibration can come from a bunch of different reasons but if the driveshaft setup was vibration free before you did work then most likely the problem is alignment.

Sorry if the following is redundant.

The one alignment usually overlooked is whether the whole drivetrain is inline.
Visualize the layout from above (plan view), the transaxle, shaft, and front diff all need to be in a straight line.
The easiest way to check this is with a basic construction laser. Set it up with a vertical beam and put it on the floor under the van. Check that the case seams on the diff and transaxle are in alignment. If not then it's easy to loosen either the engine/transaxle mounts and shift or the front diff mounts.
Since you changed your engine mounts it's most likely the engine/transaxle is out of line.

If this alignment is good and you still have vibrations then the next to check are the angles between the diff/shaft/transaxle.
The easiest way to check those are with a laser pointer tool setup. These are easy to make if you have access to a lathe but not so much if you don't.
G.W. used to sell/rent a laser alignment tool but unfortunately they no longer offer.
These are the ones I use, basic construction laser and the G.W. kit.

To use kit;
Van needs to be level side to side. Rotate laser/puck until a dot is formed, mark card.
Repeat from the other side, and check the dots.
Shift transaxle or diff until the dots are on the centerline and just a few degrees below level. Keep repeating until dots fall in the same place from either direction.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, the flange recesses do ensure that the shaft runout isn't going to be too bad -- but, I could have screwed up the u-joint replacement or something like that which the runout test would catch.

I have my own homemade laser alignment tool which has always worked well for me in the past. After I replaced the ancient, collapsed engine mounts the rear of the engine was raised by almost 0.5". This pitched the nose of the transmission down to about -4.5 degrees. My correction for this was to trim a little bit off the steel inserts on the transmission mounts to lift up the front of the transmission. Now my angles match at about -3.5 degrees in both directions (the image below is work in progress...) and my side-to-side alignment is dead on.

So, I'm stumped as to the vibration at about 45 MPH... I rebuilt this driveshaft about 2 years ago but I pulled it apart and measured everything and snugged up some of the shims for the u-joints since there was some play. Still no good... Everything was fine until I replaced the engine mounts.

The runout is actually greatest (+/- 0.010") at the front end of the shaft. The center and rear of the shaft are closer to +/- 0.004" -- which is probably fine. I'm not sure about +/- 0.010"? Maybe that's a lot? I can try to remove some of that with a different set of shims for the corresponding u-joint.

Or maybe I need to go back and double-check the new engine mounts for the third time...?

Thanks!
-Bill
'89 Syncro
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

Have you had the driveshaft balanced at a shop?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

I haven't had the shaft balanced and the nearest place with a machine is 2-3 hours away. I've been hoping that nothing I've done to it would change the balance significantly -- but who can say? Confused

That said, it was smooth as silk for about 10,000 miles between rebuilding the shaft and changing the engine mounts. I suppose there are enough variables in this equation that maybe the shaft is screwy, but it just happened to work well in the previous configuration...

-Bill
'89 Syncro
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

So, folks who have rebuilt your driveshafts with new u-joints and guibo -- did you get the shaft balanced? Was it out of balance after the rebuild?

Thanks!
-Bill
'89 Syncro
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

stormforge wrote:
I haven't had the shaft balanced and the nearest place with a machine is 2-3 hours away. I've been hoping that nothing I've done to it would change the balance significantly -- but who can say? Confused

That said, it was smooth as silk for about 10,000 miles between rebuilding the shaft and changing the engine mounts. I suppose there are enough variables in this equation that maybe the shaft is screwy, but it just happened to work well in the previous configuration...

-Bill
'89 Syncro

What mounts did you change and which ones did you leave? Did you use OE or the poly ones. I would suspect the mounts first, then the drive shaft. The syncro driveline to me seems especially picky. I think you can have issues with something that wouild be fine on a Ford 4x4. My driveshaft was causing problems but according to the shop that rebuilt it, it balanced out great with hardly any weight. After replacing that the next biggest vibration was coming from the front diff front mount. When I just loosened it and drove it was also smoother. So that's a free test. I also replaced the other 2 front diff mounts and for whatever reason they didn't make much difference as I recall.
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

I started this saga by replacing the 4 rubber mounts on the mustache bar with OEM-style ones.

My rubber sandwich transmission mounts are older (maybe original?) but really look pretty good. I do notice that the two mounts at the back end of the front transaxle aren't really compressed at rest -- meaning that it takes very little force to wiggle the rear nose of the front transaxle around...

I have tried the "van-cafe" method with loose bolts on the front transaxle to no avail. I'm thinking I might add a washer to the front mounts to compress the rubber a little bit so things aren't so jiggly.

Thanks!
-Bill
'89 Syncro
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

I resisted replacing my transaxle mounts for a long time. They are very expensive considering you need 10 and mine seemed to be in good condition for rubber. But it made a big difference and I just did the fronts.

Here is a pic of what mine looked like. You might think yours are fine but if they are out of shape it make cause extra vibration to get through. I even tried shortening one of the inner metal bushings first thinking that would isolate the differential from metal to metal contact. That didn't help. I've heard mixed results with the aftermarket ones. And the good thing about replacing bushings is even if it doesn't solve the problem, it isn't crazy to replace them every 200K miles.

The second photo is the old one. You can see that the top has been pushed down compared to the new one.
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! Very interesting pictures! My rubber bushings look surprisingly nice for 30 years -- but now I wonder if they are all misshapen?

Did the new front bushings solve your driveshaft problem?

They are *really* expensive. $3-400 for a full set? Maybe I'll buy one and do a comparison.

Thanks!
-Bill
'89 Syncro
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

I don't remember the order I did things. I think I replaced the driveshaft then did the diff bushings. I gave away that drive shaft and the person that tried it also did not like it and tossed it. It was basically new and was smooth at first, so I didn't think to question it. Mine van isn't as smooth as new landcruiser, but for a syncro it's good. I may still replace the rear trans mounts that I never bothered with. It is surprising how much they cost if you decide to just do them all. But now I only have 4 to go.
Black'n'White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

stormforge wrote:
I have my own homemade laser alignment tool which has always worked well for me in the past. After I replaced the ancient, collapsed engine mounts the rear of the engine was raised by almost 0.5". This pitched the nose of the transmission down to about -4.5 degrees. My correction for this was to trim a little bit off the steel inserts on the transmission mounts to lift up the front of the transmission. Now my angles match at about -3.5 degrees in both directions (the image below is work in progress...) and my side-to-side alignment is dead on.

Bill, thanks for this photo, and to all of you here, this thread. I just replaced the transaxle and front diff bushings with a set of PowerFlex bushings, and experienced the 45 MPH vibration. It was vibrating before, but not as badly and at 25 - 30 MPH. I made up a holder for a laser pointer, and by printing out your gauge, Bill, and affixing it to a piece of cardboard, had a target for the laser. The alignment of the transaxle was low, just as you found, but I have yet to address it.

When I pulled the front driveshaft u-joint loose, I was surprised that about a quarter cup of gear oil came out of the front differential. Is that normal? Then when I put the laser pointer on the input flange to the front diff, I found I was able to get about one division of movement on the laser target (now mounted on the output flange of the transaxle) just by pulling up/down or left/right on the input flange. That doesn't seem good, either. There's not enough deflection to actually feel a clunk or anything, but now I'm wondering if there's a bad bearing or two in the front differential, and that is the cause of the vibration.

Thoughts?
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

I'd certainly be concerned about the fluid and the play from your front transaxle input shaft -- neither of those things sound right. Maybe a bad seal and/or bearing on that input shaft?

-Bill
'89 Syncro
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

FYI -- here are links to the scaled SVG image of my alignment target and the spreadsheet that I used to produce the target. The target takes into account the length of my laser. If your laser is a different length then your result will be (only very slightly) wrong... Please feel free to check my math!

Target: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cv_R3ra_UveSBWY4BTaLgtQU8tm0dOIc
Calcs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JSycz6mu29oSspzJ2EKY_mwC1qOMNwdRF-VOy-cqADA

-Bill
'89 Syncro
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

.010” runout seems like a lot but don’t know a spec for you. While the flanges are centered, you would have the a slightly oblong rotating shaft.
There was an old driveshaft balancing method using hose clamps and some test drives. I’ll bet the google has the method illustrated somewhere. Maybe you could try and affect the vibration with clamps.
Black'n'White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

stormforge wrote:
FYI -- here are links to the scaled SVG image of my alignment target and the spreadsheet that I used to produce the target. The target takes into account the length of my laser. If your laser is a different length then your result will be (only very slightly) wrong... Please feel free to check my math!

Your formula is exactly what I would have used, but I'd have had to review my high school geometry to figure out if it was tan or arctan that was appropriate. Shocked

Not sure why the length of the laser would make any difference though. What's needed is the distance between the rear face of the input flange on the front differential and the front face of the output flange on the transaxle. Or more precisely, the distance between the two u-joint trunion centers, since that's the actual straight length of the hypotenuse. But since the guru guidance on just what the angle should be varies quite widely, as long as the distance is a decent approximation, your formula should be good enough.

Thanks for the access to the gauge template as well. I'm sure the one I was using was not accurate, as the angle of the photo distorted the dimensions. But it was good enough for the lateral adjustments, which I completed yesterday. Still need to make some thicker shims for the rear engine mount to bring up the nose of the tranaxle to the requisite 4° though. I got to 4.5° with a 3/8" shim in back and taking 0.170" off the steel bushing in the front mounts, but since shortening that bushing increases the compaction of the elastomers, I don't want to make it any shorter.

Since the front diff hasn't dripped any additional oil with the driveshaft disconnected, my guess is that the vibration was enough to disturb the seal enough to let it leak. But that runout has me looking into a front diff rebuild. More Samba searches to see if it can be a DIY project, or I also need to find a reputable rebuilder. Confused
Black'n'White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

stormforge wrote:
Here's a test indicator on the front flange of the shaft. I'm seeing something like +/- 0.009" from one extreme to the other -- so under 20 thousandths full indicator movement. This doesn't seem like a whole lot to me?
o

Not sure I'd use that location as an indicator for runout. I'd be surprised if the outside of the u-joint flange was even rough machined. That lip on the transaxle output flange is supposed to seat snugly into the counterbore on the driveshaft flange, but there's a tolerance there, too, that could result in runout. But you could loosen the driveshaft bolts and try bumping the driveshaft flanges to take out any wobble you see, might make a difference from a balance perspective.

Today I'll throw a dial indicator on both transaxle and front dif flanges and look for radial slop. My sense is that there should be little to none. Have you checked the ones on yours yet?
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

I actually went back and checked runout on the driveshaft tube rather than the u-joint flange and I saw surprisingly little -- something like 4-6 thou at both ends. Much better than I would have guessed. I haven't checked, but I would guess that my transaxle input/output flanges are probably better than that.

Right now for my problem I'm leaning towards bad front transaxle mounts. There's a lot of play in the rear of the transaxle which comes from those rubber mounts -- I can wiggle it all around with very little force... I haven't had time to swap them out and test yet.

-Bill
Black'n'White
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

In the FWIW department, I wasn't happy with the laser pointer I was using. It had a momentary push button switch on it, and wasn't making consistent contact when held down with a tape wrap, even with a piece of popsicle stick over it for more leverage.

Today I received a pair of these (see link below) in the mail, and they seem to be very suited to the job. They have a slider switch that stays on by itself, and the housing is one diameter the full length, which lends itself to mounting in the bore of the flange adaptor. And they take a AA battery, so they'll run almost forever; no worries about just leaving them on during use.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076P8YRR1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft runout? Reply with quote

Black'n'White wrote:
I
Today I received a pair of these (see link below) in the mail, and they seem to be very suited to the job. They have a slider switch that stays on by itself, and the housing is one diameter the full length, which lends itself to mounting in the bore of the flange adaptor. And they take a AA battery, so they'll run almost forever; no worries about just leaving them on during use.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076P8YRR1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While that seems like a good price, and regular batteries is definitely better than the expensive "watch" batteries, I would be concerned about the fact that the laser beam is not being emitted from the center of the device.
It comes from the edge instead from the middle. This will reduce it's effectiveness for describing a dot. At best you're only gonna get a small circle. Still workable but not ideal.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: