Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
merlinsbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Last weekend I finally got my hands on a donor Syncro for my build I have been planning since I was thirteen years old. To make a Syncro out of my 1976 non-walkthrough bay bus. It will be know henceforth as Dugong after the relaxed marine mammal.

With that said, I pulled the donor, a heavily rusted 1986 Syncro, apart and now I am getting staged up for some real engineering.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is will be the build project, as you can see it has been sitting and will need help. Luckily for me, I have been collecting parts for years!

Transaxle has severe corrosion on the case and will likely need to be replaced, currently hoping the locker is in good condition!

Got rid of this engine immediately, was a runner but was beyond salvageable due to corrosion.

Front crossmember and diff appear in be in much better condition that the transaxle.

Updates should be somewhat regular depending on my weekends.

"Always remember: others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them and then you destroy yourself" -Richard Nixon
merlinsbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Had the chance last night to play around with the front beam, luckily I have a spare one laying around.

The layout, the front beam will need the torsion tubes to be separated by a few inches rot allow enough clearance for the outer CV joints.

Checking out various axle shafts I have hoping a combination of some will work.

"Always remember: others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them and then you destroy yourself" -Richard Nixon
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Cool project! Have you seen the thread on here of the other synchro/bus conversion?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675755&highlight=syncro+bay
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Watching along with everyone else on here... Popcorn

Kris Balfe is an amazing guy, get on the phone with him after you study his thread, he did the heavy legwork just recently Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Seeing as I recently removed my engine with a floor jack, I'm exited to see where you go with that tractor Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Love it.

Do you have more details? Do you plan to essentially keep all of the bay metal and try to work the 4x4 system around the current infrastructure or do you plan to replace the floor/rails with the syncro? What about the radiator? What about (name whatever you have thought of I suppose)?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

VW didn't need a radiator to do a 4x4 Bay:

merlinsbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Hello all,

Before we all get to excited, it will be watercooled but it certainly won’t be a 2.1! I will be installing a 1.9 AHU with a mechanical pump for maximum simplicity. The riadator will most likely be mounted horizontally on the belly (protected by a skiplate/scoop I imagine).

Secondly, I will not be using the underpinnings of a Vanagon to do this conversion, I plan on modifying the front beam suspension/steering to work with the front diff. As for the rear, the torsion bars will simply be moved outboard to allow room for the nose cone of the transaxle and driveline.

Updates will come as I move along.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Are you sure its not Dewgong? Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
merlinsbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Made some progress this weekend, pulled the Syncro out of the garage and put in the backyard for now.

I also began deconstructing the wiring harness to reuse the wiring later on, there are miles of the stuff in a Vanagon and it is all quality German!

Pulled it out on a trailer as it no longer has front wheels.

The tractor makes a second appearance as it picks up the Syncro!

Removed the brake master cylinder bracket in preparation for cutting of the front beam.

Cut the beam right down the middle of the bump stop tubes, this will facilitate spacing apart the torsion tubes to allow clearance for the front axles.

Here we see the Syncro front CV on a factory 2WD bay bus spindle, the nuts on either end represent the ball joint positioning. My plan is to simply flip the lower ball joint upside down for more clearance, this idea will require some more thought, but it s a starting point for the 4WD steering knuckle.

KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

👍🏼🛠🛠
You are going to be very happy with this in the end.
I’m guessing you have seen the conversion Jorg did on his bay? I considered going this route with my split window. The Isuzu rodeo has a knuckle that may work.. I was looking at using an Audi knuckle with the bolt in bearing meshing it to the bay window. Also in my first attempt I used the front beam from a T4 which worked pretty well. In the end I decided to use the entire chassis for ease of replacement parts. Good luck on your project.

✊🏼
merlinsbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Well Kris, you may be thinking I'm already on top of this, but truth is a happened to have a scrap Isuzu Trooper II in my backyard and when I got home I pulled the knuckle off to see if your idea would work and it actually may!

Another quick mock up, getting some steering ideas going.

The Isuzu Trooper knuckle I had in my back yard, maybe a winner?

Clearance is there between the lower ball joint and the axle, but not much.

KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Sweet!
I’ll let you do your thing, but more than happy to share ideas and experience if you’d like.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Well this is certainly something! Excited to see how this all goes.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
merlinsbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Without modification the Isuzu hub MAY BE a no-go. Measure out some dimensions, the syncro wheel bearing is 80mm diameter and 42mm deep. As seen by the photos below, this is cutting it close. Other bearings may be available, further research is needed.

Diameter leaves very little wall thickness in the knuckle.

Depth is way off, at barely half the correct thickness for just the bearing, not counting the seals (sealed bearings are obviously an option, but still lacking enough material).

KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Dang.
merlinsbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Decided the Isuzu hub was not really in my favor, back to the original idea of making a knuckle or having one cast later on. I went ahead and pulled apart the knuckles and spindles and made a drawing.

Only way to get anything figured out is by pulling it apart, right?

Keep in mind this is a early design drawing, but it combines the stock bay spindle and the Syncro Knuckle into one. With this layout, the front beam torsion tubes will be spaced an additional 47mm apart and it will retain the original downward facing ball joints on both trailing arms.

KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Nice. 👍🏼
merlinsbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Last weekend was busy with a camping trip, but Friday was spent emptying Dugong, it had been my storage for all the parts (I have double of nearly everything from a totaled 1974 I scrapped years back). Cargo floor has a lot of small holes, front floor panel is rotted as are both inner and outer rockers, upper sliding door track, and left battery tray. There are many other minor rust spots that will all need attention, luckily I stored this bus covered and on concrete otherwise it may have been much worse off after all these years.

Original wiring is in near unmolested state, perfect. Not perfect, the dog legs and floor!

As you can see, I have extra doors, infact all the doors on the 1974 were in great condition and shall be used on Dugong (too bad the date codes won't align anymore)

As this bus was a weekender camper the floor also has some man made holes in it, a new floor may go in altogether depending on how much access I will need for the Syncro transaxle fitment.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Dugong - Syncro Bay Bus Reply with quote

Popcorn

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: