Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

I'm sure I saw someone selling the centre brake light threaded plates in the classifieds a while back, but can't find the advert now and a Google search draws a blank.

Does anyone know anywhere that sells them?

Mine is held in place by speednuts. I have to remove the whole assembly when I remove the bezel screw.

Tried making a couple from flat bar, but I have a cheap tap and die set and the taps are too soft. After one hole the M4 tap was ruined. If I can buy new threaded plates for less than the cost of a decent tap and tap handle I might as well do that.

These are the plates that I mean. Part 87...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picture of a complete light with the threaded plate showing from the web...

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gr8vw4sale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Check with user "Brian_Mccue". I see he doesn't have them advertised here but I purchased a pair a couple of months ago from him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Yep, he's the one who was making them. I sent him an original years ago so he could repop them.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Thanks. I've dropped him a line and contacted another seller suggested to me by PM.

Thanks all Very Happy

Andy

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Does anyone have a way to contact Brian_Mccue? I sent him an email through the forum last week, but no reply. He hasn't signed in to the forum this month, so I figure there's no point trying to PM him?

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

He posts on Instagram a lot
https://www.instagram.com/52oldbarndoor/

You could slide into his DMs on there
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
He posts on Instagram a lot
https://www.instagram.com/52oldbarndoor/

You could slide into his DMs on there

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I had to Google what an Instgram DM is though. Embarassed

Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Please let me know if you have any luck.....need two as well!!

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Brian_1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for helping people try to get in contact with me for my brake light nuts I replied to one gentleman on Instagram and asked him if you can give me a little time I got some personal issues that I’m dealing with right now which doesn’t give me much time to get to the post office but I definitely have them ..
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Brian_Mccue wrote:
Thanks everybody for helping people try to get in contact with me for my brake light nuts I replied to one gentleman on Instagram and asked him if you can give me a little time I got some personal issues that I’m dealing with right now which doesn’t give me much time to get to the post office but I definitely have them ..

Thanks for updating. Hope the personal issue isn't/doesn't become too seriious. Take it easy.

Andy

vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Andy,

Did you find any of those mounting plates?
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

vwjim wrote:
Andy,

Hi Jim

No - I ended up making them from some flat metal bar drilled and tapped. They don't look brilliant and I keep meaning to make better looking ones, but they do the job so I haven't bothered.

I don't have a picture specifically of them to hand. This is cropped from another picture of the engine bay. You can get a better idea of what they're supposed to look like from that picture of the Bentley manual I posted on your Facebook question.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
vwjim wrote:
Andy,

Hi Jim

No - I ended up making them from some flat metal bar drilled and tapped. They don't look brilliant and I keep meaning to make better looking ones, but they do the job so I haven't bothered.

I don't have a picture specifically of them to hand. This is cropped from another picture of the engine bay. You can get a better idea of what they're supposed to look like from that picture of the Bentley manual I posted on your Facebook question.

Edit - it just occurred to me that it would be worth asking the guys at BBT. They bought out the stock of NOS parts from Dieter Schmidt Lorenz in Hamburg. When I was looking for the front brake star adjuster spring, they were the only people who had any. They came from Dieter's stock, so there's a chance they might have those plates there.

vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,

I've got one to copy, so I'll do that I guess.

Geeking on your photo of your engine lid. Mine has holes for the bolts to pass through and the plate goes on the underside of those holes. I see yours hold the light unit by trapping the edge of the housing. So if you used OG plates I suspect that they wouldn't do the job.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

vwjim wrote:
Mine has holes for the bolts to pass through and the plate goes on the underside of those holes. I see yours hold the light unit by trapping the edge of the housing. So if you used OG plates I suspect that they wouldn't do the job.

That's just my bad, blurry photo. Very Happy The flash has cast shadows that make it look like the reflector is sitting in a hole the same size and shape as the reflector, but the hole in the outer skin is more oval and slightly smaller than the reflector.

The screws pass through the holes in the decklid, then through corresponding holes in the reflector and in to the threaded plates.
As the screws are tightened, they pull the threaded plates tight to the back of the reflector sandwiching it between the plates and the inside of the decklid.

My DIY plates are probably a bit wider than the originals too, so they oversail the edge of the reflector on the back.

Any chance you could measure your OG plate when you get a chance? I had to take a guess on the size when I ordered the metal strip.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
vwjim wrote:
Mine has holes for the bolts to pass through and the plate goes on the underside of those holes. I see yours hold the light unit by trapping the edge of the housing. So if you used OG plates I suspect that they wouldn't do the job.

That's just my bad, blurry photo. Very Happy The flash has cast shadows that make it look like the reflector is sitting in a hole the same size and shape as the reflector, but the hole in the outer skin is more oval and slightly smaller than the reflector.

The screws pass through the holes in the decklid, then through corresponding holes in the reflector and in to the threaded plates.
As the screws are tightened, they pull the threaded plates tight to the back of the reflector sandwiching it between the plates and the inside of the decklid.

My DIY plates are probably a bit wider than the originals too, so they oversail the edge of the reflector on the back.

Any chance you could measure your OG plate when you get a chance? I had to take a guess on the size when I ordered the metal strip.

Edit I've installed it wrong. Embarassed Looking at this thread, the reflector should go outside the decklid. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60

When I got it, it was fitted on the inside with speednuts, so I assumed that was where it should go.

Next time i have it apart, I'll fix that.

vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

ah, both the buses here had it in the wrong place as well. I was looking at it and thinking if VW designed it to go like that they would have put captive nuts directly on the housing and not bothered with the spreader plates.

Then someone found me a photo from and early manual and it shows it as I thought it should be.

I'll measure up the spreader plate later this week after the seals turn up.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

vwjim wrote:

Then someone found me a photo from and early manual and it shows it as I thought it should be.

Yeah, that was me. I didn't bother to look it up in the manual. Embarassed I just followed what a previous owner did. It seemed more leak-proof too, so made sense at the time.

vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

Laughing

Thanks for posting that image.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Source for centre brake light threaded plate? (211 945 327) Reply with quote

My '55

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: