Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can the semaphores be made to blink?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

Not having read all the above as it might have been discussed, but you can buy a semaphore bulb that blinks. Just swap the bulb and the light will blink when the semaphore is up. No wiring, no relais, nothing. Just a new bulb.

That would be my choice. I am however not in need of blinkers or any of the crap, I just use the semaphores as they came from the factory with no issues so far (34 years of driving with just sems).
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

JPB1 wrote:
LEDs http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/

Semaphores: 31mm AMBER FLASHING FESTOON BULB
Choose type: EA2D - 6v 31mm with 7mm pointed caps

Does anyone know if the quality of these has improved?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JPB1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
JPB1 wrote:
LEDs http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/

Semaphores: 31mm AMBER FLASHING FESTOON BULB
Choose type: EA2D - 6v 31mm with 7mm pointed caps

Does anyone know if the quality of these has improved?

Were there problems?
I've did not have any, and I've been using them for over 10 months now, on a near daily driver
Do tell....
Markosz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

I have recently bought a 51 split. it have been sitting in a barn for a long time.
Yesterday we put some 6v power on the split, and my semaphore's popped out and starting to blink.. The semaphore's are not the correct ones for 51'' (ther for 53'''/55''

But i cant find out yet how i comes ther ''blinking''..
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

... why would you want your semaphores to flash, or blink? i'd think, if you were that concerned with others knowing your exact plan, you'd just add a set of conventional direction, blinking lights. So, there would be no confusion -
- other drivers don't think to look anywhere special for your change in direction - they just expect that everyone plays the same game - advising others, what your intentions are.

In conjunction with using my non-blinking semaphores, I use hand signals, about 100 feet before my turn and that tells other drivers, 1. that I am driving an old car and 2. that I am stopping, turning left or turning right - hand signals are discussed in most learning driver manuals. So, others should realize your intentions - the old fashioned way.

My first cars were a 1946 Chrysler Windsor and 1948 Plymouth convertible Neither had conventional direction indicators and only one center stop light - hand signals were the rule - returning to basic courtesy is all the fun of owning a pre 1955 vehicle.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebeetle1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... why would you want your semaphores to flash, or blink? i'd think, if you were that concerned with others knowing your exact plan, you'd just add a set of conventional direction, blinking lights. So, there would be no confusion -
- other drivers don't think to look anywhere special for your change in direction - they just expect that everyone plays the same game - advising others, what your intentions are.

In conjunction with using my non-blinking semaphores, I use hand signals, about 100 feet before my turn and that tells other drivers, 1. that I am driving an old car and 2. that I am stopping, turning left or turning right - hand signals are discussed in most learning driver manuals. So, others should realize your intentions - the old fashioned way.

My first cars were a 1946 Chrysler Windsor and 1948 Plymouth convertible Neither had conventional direction indicators and only one center stop light - hand signals were the rule - returning to basic courtesy is all the fun of owning a pre 1955 vehicle.

Over here in the UK - the modern motorist seemingly has no knowledge of arm signals...

While it is included in the highway code for the benefit of people riding horses it is no longer included on the test.... So people simply have no idea what the arm signals even mean - especially if your intention is to turn left and you signal that as such from the right hand side of the car! (My oval, like all standard UK cars is RHD...)

I have taken to wearing a long sleeve fluorescent jacket to ensure that my arm is visible to those behind me also – as especially while driving above 50MPH or so the semaphores simply do not function as intended, as they do not latch back down…

The users of our motorways are simply not even looking for someone giving arm signals at motorway speeds…

The blinking of the semaphore adds something in order to grab the attention of the modern road users who are so conditioned as to look for a flashing turn signal…
Additional high-level stop lights also guard against being rear-ended as low-down snowflakes again are simply invisible to the modern motorist – along with the attitude of “Oh its only a cheap old Beetle…”

June 1957 "Big Window" Oval Beetle! Yes it does really exist....
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

When I restored my '51 I added an extra wire in the rear harness and dual filament bulbholders. My semas, taillights, and indicator bulb flash together due to a trailer brake over ride device under the hood. Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

karmann1952 wrote:
Here´s a good link! I have this relais in both cars!
http://www.rettung-fuer-den-winker.de
Vitus Huber from Munich produce this special relais.
Everything is working! Both semaphores also come out
and blink by emergency blinking Exclamation
Vitus his still selling them...
Greetings from germany
Claus

Due to German law, I have also this special relay on my split making the semaphores blinking together with the dual filament in the rear litght... It is the most reliable, proper way to get the semaphores and rear lights working like that, without beeing in need of special bulbs or leds. I would always go with that. Also, I put this relay into my '61 because I had to install warning lights. Without this relay, there was no other way to get a positive result.
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

As 'bluebeetle1968' very correctly says above, driving an early car equipped only with semaphore indicators on British roads is a nightmare. He has the advantage over me in that his car is RHD, mine is LHD so even worse.

To try to alleviate the problem I have used LED bulbs all round EXCEPT the semaphores. It was my intention to fit the flashing LED festoon units shown by this supplier http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/festoon-bulbs.php .
However when I came to fit them I found that although quite compatible with VW semaphores I could not get them in through the small bulb access hole on my late semaphores so I would have to dismantle them to install. Having brand new Semaphores I was reluctant to do this so retained the normal bulbs.

To augment the semaphores I have added LED flashing indicators on front and rear bumpers wired to work in unison with the semaphores (twin discretely fitted flasher relays one for Left one for Right). The lights are plug & socket connected and are easily removable to make the car look more correct if required. Unfortunately 'pastellgreen' these may not pass German TUV approval but will be OK for me to come to Bad Camberg in June.

For information all the other LED bulbs that I purchased from the above supplier are superb making all the lights on a 1946 Beetle compatible with normal driving. I have abandoned originality in the rear light having fitted dual filament bulb holders and wiring to provide for additional brake lights.
The headlights are very bright but the design of early lenses does not present a defined light pattern but accepting that antiquity the car is quite drive-able at night within the speeds available from a 25ps engine!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can the semaphores be made to blink? Reply with quote

bluebeetle1968 wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

Over here in the UK - the modern motorist seemingly has no knowledge of arm signals...

While it is included in the highway code for the benefit of people riding horses it is no longer included on the test.... So people simply have no idea what the arm signals even mean - especially if your intention is to turn left and you signal that as such from the right hand side of the car! (My oval, like all standard UK cars is RHD...)

I have taken to wearing a long sleeve fluorescent jacket to ensure that my arm is visible to those behind me also – as especially while driving above 50MPH or so the semaphores simply do not function as intended, as they do not latch back down…

The users of our motorways are simply not even looking for someone giving arm signals at motorway speeds…

The blinking of the semaphore adds something in order to grab the attention of the modern road users who are so conditioned as to look for a flashing turn signal…
Additional high-level stop lights also guard against being rear-ended as low-down snowflakes again are simply invisible to the modern motorist – along with the attitude of “Oh its only a cheap old Beetle…”

... all good points. if ever go to the UK, I'll remember everything you suggested - hope I can find a nice RHD TVR Vixen to drive around, instead of a bug.. you guys have all the best sports cars.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: