Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 499, 500, 501 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I like the magnetized knife rack…

All I did was replace the temp sender and then somehow render the motor inoperable. One step forward…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

With more true off-road &/or backcountry travel in mind for this season, I've done a fair amount of googling and
came across this very cool no-major-modifications-required (but unfortunately $450) self-recovery system:

Link

Looks great, but being significantly over my budget (and me being not at all interested in investing in or mounting
a typical hard-wired winch system) I present my first working concept of the 90hp "Backwoods Wonder Winch":

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FWIW: Same basic idea worked for these guys:

Link

Still in development, although I've already invested almost $70, with another $10-12 budgeted...stay tuned for updates!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I Wonder if that could fit CLK wheels?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You aren't wrapping the line fast enough. You need a larger circle. If you have a welder, a trashed donut isn't too hard to find for free.

Anyone have any experience with durability/longevity of 3M Mar-Hyde? I was complaining about how most "rust converter paints" like rusteoleum don't do much and you'll find rust after 1 rain. A friend with a BMW 2002 recommended it after coating a lot of his 2002 with it. It's a little pricey at $45/quart. I have to say I am initially really impressed. I painted it on, 2 coats 25 minutes apart. It starts out looking like milk and turns rust this dark black/purple color that has a smooth surface. It almost feels a bit plasticky, like an epoxy. In the 2nd picture you can see a small stud and another spot of surface rust that is brown but the coated areas are black.

I'm pretty sure I am going to end up painting my whole underside with this stuff. Laughing
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

beach_creature wrote:
I Wonder if that could fit CLK wheels?
Absolutely...no reason it couldn't, just need 3 sockets to fit the lug nuts... Cool

4Gears4Tires wrote:
You aren't wrapping the line fast enough...
Ummm..."fast enough" for what...??? If/when stuck, I absolutely intend to be slow and careful. Embarassed Wink
YouTube is full of young whippersnappers being all fast & reckless... Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing

4Gears4Tires wrote:
You need a larger circle...
Again, this doesn't fit with my goals. Larger "circle" would also require much more structure, more mass,
more weight & more storage space. This WILL work in the simplest way possible and I foresee it all
fitting in a small tool bag about the size of a loaf of bread... Very Happy

4Gears4Tires wrote:
If you have a welder, a trashed donut isn't too hard to find for free...
Unfortunately I don't, but I'll have a buddy tack a few things together for the beta version.

4Gears, I appreciate your comments & look forward to what you come up with along these lines...
There are certainly many many ways to make it work, so I say go for it & post 'em up!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Years ago, I saw a logger do this sort of thing with his dual wheel logging truck. He attached a cable between the two left rear wheels with the other end attached to a tree to help pull the truck (partially loaded) along a very narrow road immediately adjacent to a bank next to a stream. The road was very narrow. He had tried to follow along but got into a compromising situation where it was dangerous to go on or backup.

Anyway, the cable certainly helped him on thru the danger!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Busy past couple days fixing the broken plastic in the instrument panel/gauge cluster. The speedo housing corners were broken, as was a piece behind the tachometer where the instrument harness connects. Fixed the upper instrument panel mounting tabs while I was at it. I detailed the repair here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9052841#9052841

I also replaced the capacitor in the temp gauge to fix the "coolant level blinking light" issue. I used the John Meeks method ( http://www.vanagonauts.com/Warning-Light-Fix241.htm )which worked great. Fiddly and delicate, but worth it to fix the problem.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got it running again. Duff coil and some learning experiences into the bargain.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I have been chasing wiring harness gremlins that have prevented the engine from idling. I could start it and if i kept the throttle open, the engine would stay running, no throttle, the engine cut out immediately.

was texting with Dave (djkeev) about it and he asked about power steering and if the wires were grounded. the concern being shorting out the Idle Stabilization unit. i had connected them and put a cable tie around the bundle as per the photo documenting the engine pull. both wires were seeing low resistance to ground. i removed the cable tie and now the one side was open to ground... guess which one

the engine started and stayed running, success (thanks Dave!)

of course while i was chasing wiring gremlins around, i discovered a failed coolant gasket. upon inspection, self-inflicted. they only happen in the difficult to reach spots, right?

notice the discoloration on the gasket? that's anti-seize. sloppy work Steve, sloppy.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Slow progress as I wait for parts to arrive. Removed the coil today, looks like it might be OG. That site lists a 1987 date for the one they are selling. Maybe the date is coded into the part number.

The 10mm screws (!) that hold the bracket are not reliable, only one came out. But I was able to loosen the 8mm bolt that tightens the bracket and liberate this fossil. New coil arrives tomorrow and then I can get back to figuring out the issues with overheating.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

chased down more wiring woes - the engine was only running on #3 and #4. after about an hour of troubleshooting, #1 is alive. the new plug wires are a stretch. tested and it seemed fine, until i moved the plug end around... went to open connection on the meter. gave it a tug and it came out of the connector!

swapped the old wires back in and #1 is alive, but no joy on #2. did a bunch of troubleshooting there but ran out of time. maybe today is the day!

BiWerks Design, LLC
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

At 398000 miles I put the 3rd Power steering rack in 89 Syncro Tristar. The last one was a Maval crappy rebuild, which lasted just 2 years.
I had an NOS rack I had bought a few years ago from a member here on Samba.
I started the job at 9:30 at night and went to bed at 2:00, along the way I found bad boots as well as a bad inner tie rod and bad CV boots which I new about.
The truck had to roll this morning and I did not notice it leaking until I was home at about 7:30.
Luckily Rite Aid id open and late and they carry PS fluid.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put a new driveline in on my Syncro from GoWesty. Sooo much better than my worn out one that hummed and clanked.

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Tach Mod and Temp gauge mod for EJ22.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Washing the Westy pop-top canvas for spring. Would have loved to put the whole Westy in the tub for a good scrub, but believe it or not a Westfalia will NOT fit through a standard bathroom door opening. Yes - tried it sideways, kitty-corner, made sure the pop-top was down, etc. - it simply won't go. Later models may fit though, I'm not sure.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Took a lot longer than today and actually finished a few weeks ago...but painted my van with Interlux Brightside, Flag Blue. Tried to take an after photo just now in same light as before...

BEFORE

AFTER

g shepherd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Looking good! I dig the accent stripe.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike ... very nice ! ! Applause

how did you do it? - with roller or spray gun?

thanks
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm really happy with it. Roll and tip, it was time consuming but worked best in my situation. About 4-500 dollars invested, counting shipping, replacing trim parts like the rubber trim on the gutter lip, rear side markers, door handle seals, etc that all basically fell apart on removal. Lots of labor, no idea how many hours- I sanded the body down 80/120/240 and did some minor seam rust repair and body work prior to painting.

It's far from perfect, but I knew it wouldn't be and think it looks unique and cool. The stripe is 2 1/4" vinyl tape.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

It's far from perfect, but I knew it wouldn't be and think it looks unique and cool. The stripe is 2 1/4" vinyl tape.

looks fantastic. roller paint job... who knew. thanks for the inspiration.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 499, 500, 501 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 500 of 631

Jump to: