Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake woes
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Brake woes Reply with quote

So over the last couple months ive replaced the rubber hoses with braided ss, new shoes and wheel cylinders, new master cylinder and the front hard likes today since one was leaking. Everything bled great with shoes adjusted all the way out to the drums no bubbles when done and shoes adjusted. Brake pedal moves 3inches before any braking takes place, I've adjusted the push rod to 5mm at the top of the pedal. Only thing I can think of is bad front drums.[/u]
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake woes Reply with quote

Could be...somewhere on the drum is the max diameter in raised numbers. If you take it to a brake shop they can mic it for you.

When you say all the way out you did adjust both stars the right way? I usually adjust each one until the drum can't be turned, then back of two or three clicks and do the other star and then back it off. The wheel should be able to spin but only about one revolution if you spin it hard.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake woes Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Could be...somewhere on the drum is the max diameter in raised numbers. If you take it to a brake shop they can mic it for you.

When you say all the way out you did adjust both stars the right way? I usually adjust each one until the drum can't be turned, then back of two or three clicks and do the other star and then back it off. The wheel should be able to spin but only about one revolution if you spin it hard.

Yeah, first I locked the shoes to the drum and bled the system. Then I adjusted them till they dragged just a bit.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake woes Reply with quote

pull the drum off and step on the pedal to check wheel cylinder movement?

If they are dragging the wheel cylinder should push out enough to engage fairly quickly.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake woes Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
pull the drum off and step on the pedal to check wheel cylinder movement?

If they are dragging the wheel cylinder should push out enough to engage fairly quickly.

Easier said then fine when your alone lol. I have some brakes for now and I'll try to find someone to help push the pedal.
sicksforeveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Brake woes Reply with quote

When you replaced the wheel cylinders, did you go with original sizes? I have a similar issue, and it took me a while to realize that my huge (super beetle front) wheel cylinders on my type 3 rear conversion take so much fluid to move that the pedal has to travel that much further. Just a thought.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake woes Reply with quote

sicksforeveedub wrote:
When you replaced the wheel cylinders, did you go with original sizes? I have a similar issue, and it took me a while to realize that my huge (super beetle front) wheel cylinders on my type 3 rear conversion take so much fluid to move that the pedal has to travel that much further. Just a thought.

Yes I did.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: