Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flightofphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

I purchased a baja recently that has a 1776, mild cam (110), big valve heads with a small (K3) turbo set o 6lbs boost. The motor runs great and has plently of power for my needs. It did not have a temp gauge, so I have one on order and will install it when received. It's a universal case so I am just going to drill the block off plate for the type 3 dipstick and install the sender there.
It does not seem to be running hot. I have only been taking infrared temp readings down the dipstick hole (I know, not the most accurate way) but should get a better idea when the gauge is installed.

Here is my question: I would feel much better with a full flow remote cooler installed. It currently uses one of the pump adapter plates for full flow oil filter add-on. The case is not drilled for full flow. I am really hesitant to drill the case with the motor assembled and in the car. I have heard people say it can be done, use a lot of grease on the bit and tap and change the oil immediately afterwards, but having metal filings in the case concerns me.

Is there another way or does anyone make an adapter that will let me add a remote oil cooler and keep my stock cooler? Or, am I being to concerned about drilling the case with out disassembly?

Last edited by flightofphx on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

I would wait on the temp gauge to arrive and be installed so you can see if another oil cooler is needed.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

I've run a fan shroud mounted oil cooler on my 1835cc engine in Phoenix since back in 1976; it has an adapter on the engine case inside the fan shroud.

Disclaimer: Be aware that many folks here claim this system won't work, and many claim my thin-wall 92mm cylinders won't work either !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
within.1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

On a 1776 shouldnt need a remote cooler i have a 2180 with 10.1compression that i added a cooler and had to take it off the engine run to cool the oem cooler is all it needed
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

CB Performance makes an adapter that let's you run the stock cooler, and a remote. PN 1790. But again, wait and see if it's needed.

I run a turbo on a 2007cc, and only have the stock cooler, no problems. You can't floor it ALL the time, and the oil gets a chance to cool.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

Install the gauge 1st and see what your actual oil temps are. You won't need a auxillary cooler on a 1776. A Baja with an exposed engine should run cooler than a Bug with the enclosed engine compartment.

I DO NOT run an auxillary oil cooler on my 2276cc
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

IF YOU DECIDE, you want an extra filter and cooler, use a 26mm CB maxi pump
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-26mm-Maxi-3-Oil-Pumps-1798-1799-p/1798-1799.htm
It uses a smaller 1/4" NPT line size, but I've installed several (on already built engines like yours) and had no problems.
I've drilled and tapped finished engines for full flow, yeah even though it can be done, it's risky.
SD
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
It uses a smaller 1/4" NPT line size, but I've installed several (on already built engines like yours) and had no problems.
I've drilled and tapped finished engines for full flow, yeah even though it can be done, it's risky.
SD

CB’s 1551/1552/1553 pumps are the in, and out style, but have 3/8’s fittings. I used one in a Speedster to add a filter/cooler, and it worked perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
SD

I use one of these on my bus. I have no issue with oil pressure , and with a Mocal sandwich plate thermostat in the loop the oil stays under 210F with an EMPi "24 row" oil cooler in a ram air scoop underneath.

The big plus for me is the full flow filter that I can use maybe more than the added cooling.
It stopped my oil cooler loop filling up with shrapnel when I blew up my engine and drove it a quarter mile before stopping. Only had to clean out the oil pump, replace one hose and the complete long block engine....

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

"CB’s 1551/1552/1553 pumps are the in, "

Wow, so simple. These must be new? I wish they would have been available last year. These will save people some money and save us DIY'ers some stress, I never "enjoy" tapping a case.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

The work done on the Speedster was in the Spring/Summer of 2015, so the 1551/1552/1553 pumps have been out for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

I wish I would have known about it, I wouldn't have bothered with tapping the case. Why would anyone bother with it with these available or am I missing something?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

Many people will disagree but the in/out pumps are very restrictive. I consider them a band-aid to drilling and tapping a case correctly.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

Well Looks like the new pumps are now 3/8" pipe thread size so no need to tap the case for a return now.
I would think 30mm is a little too big for a VW air cooled oil pump. It will have problems if run on a single port case with the small pick up tube. Got to run real light oil in them to keep them from cavitating because a 30mm will have too much capacity to suck on the small pickup tube. So a lot of people are going to cause their engines damage buying and installing these. But on a Dual port engine, larger pickup tube and with the dog house oil cooling and keep the oil weight down like 5W30 or 0W40 or so one would be ok. But VW engines don't heat the oil much and cooling is not done by cooling the oil it's done by matching the Cam to the correct Compression and insuring the Air to Fuel ratio is not leaning out too much at cruising speed. But seriously the aluminum dog house oil coolers are so much better than the non dog house steel oil coolers you really don't need oil cooling unless you have a engine that is designed wrong or runs hot or a turbo or something.
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Remote cooler install on case not drilled for full flow? Reply with quote

CB also has the in out pumps in 26mm with 3/8 inlet-outlet size.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: