Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

So.. I finally got my rear seat backrest done and ready to go back in the car. My question concerns the two pivot bolts and the associated washers that go with them.
There are thread holes drilled into the sheet metal on each side of the car for the pivot bolts to thread into. Around each of these holes are small curved sheet metal "tabs" that hold large flat washers in place. They look like the ones in this photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also have a pair of "cupped" washers or spacers that look like this:

Problem is I cannot remember how everything is oriented. These spacers seem to be meant to take up the space between the metal "loops" on either side of the bottom of the rear backrest and the sheet metal, is this correct? And which way are the cupped spacers oriented--does the smaller cupped section go inward against the flat washers or face outward against the metal loop of the backrest?

I've looked for a photo of this with no luck, so if someone simply has a photo of the correct orientation of everything that would certainly help as well. Thanks

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

Man I need to know the same thing.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

I believe the order is as follows - cupped washer (14mm ID) with cupped end outward towards bolt head, then seat frame, then flat washer (9.2mm ID).
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
I believe the order is as follows - cupped washer (14mm ID) with cupped end outward towards bolt head, then seat frame, then flat washer (9.2mm ID).

That's what I thought at first but it can't be correct because the spacers then prevent the bolt from threading into the threaded hole-- they take up too much of the length of the bolt. The spacers pretty much HAVE to go between the seat frame and the sheet metal. The seat frame metal loops do not reach all the way to the sheet metal- they stop about 1/2 inch short on either side. So that is why I am almost positive the spacers go between.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

Here is a quick sketch of how I have it set up right now:

this seems to work just fine, my only real question is whether that cupped spacer needs to go the other way around.

1600 SP engine
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Now THAT's what I call some good illustrative communication skills -- excellent drawing! Smile

I had to figure this out a couple years back on my car too, but can't remember the exact washer stack-up sequence off top of my head now either. Plus seems like there was a plastic washer or two in the mix as well -- ?? I'll try and remember to look when get home later tonight...

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:

Now THAT's what I call some good illustrative communication skills -- excellent drawing! Smile

I had to figure this out a couple years back on my car too, but can't remember the exact washer stack-up sequence off top of my head now either. Plus seems like there was a plastic washer or two in the mix as well -- ?? I'll try and remember to look when get home later tonight...

Thanks I appreciate it-- I am almost 100% sure that is the correct order, but not sure whether the spacer needs to be turned around so that the large side is resting against the seat frame loop.

1600 SP engine
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Wow, that is nice - real drawing knowledge/skill in those shading lines! On the subject of rear seat backrest bolts, None of the four Bugs i've owned over the last 7 years have had more than just that flat washer at that spot, including the '64. Could just be that they've been ditched by the uneducated like thermostats were often ditched.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

If no one can get you an answer today, I'll go out and snap some pictures of what I have on my stock '74 standard tomorrow morning.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
If no one can get you an answer today, I'll go out and snap some pictures of what I have on my stock '74 standard tomorrow morning.

Thanks I appreciate it!

1600 SP engine
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

No problem, anything i can do to give back a little to the people that contribute a lot on here, I’ll gladly do.
I’ll get the info in the morning for you.

Rick
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

sb001 -- Ok, took a look at my back seat rest bolt arrangement this morning, and here's what I've got...

I remember this being a bit of a PITA to reassemble -- new carpet and pad had been installed, which definitely crowded the space available for the bolt hole and washer. Couple differences from what you have pictured and drawn up:

My car came with black plastic cupped washers (instead of metal ones, like what you have pictured) -- something like this:

When trying to install that washer, seems like it didn't want to fit with the flat part under the adjacent body side panel. So I flipped it around such that the flat base part of the washer is against the seat back bracket -- you can sort of see it in these pictures below:

Looks like I also had (or added?) a nylon washer right under the bolt head as well.

In any case, It looks like that cupped washer (metal or plastic) should indeed go between the seat back bracket and side of the car, as you had drawn up in your earlier post. Not super critical which way you flip it, in my opinion -- just needs to be oriented in such a way that it fits / clears carpeting and sidewall panel.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

Okay, here is what is on my 1974 standard, and I’m sure it’s original and never been disassembled. On drivers side, the bolt has a normal shallow head, but on the passenger side, bolt head is a much smaller size, but head is extended. Not sure on the reasoning. Here are pics:

shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Okay, here is what is on my 1974 standard, and I’m sure it’s original and never been disassembled. On drivers side, the bolt has a normal shallow head, but on the passenger side, bolt head is a much smaller size, but head is extended. Not sure on the reasoning. Here are pics:

The reason for the protruding smaller head bolt is you only have to remove the one bolt and slide the seat back rest slides off over the other.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics- unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the same as mine. The bolts on both sides on mine are the same (same as I pictured above--13mm bolt head with the shoulder shank and then 8mm 1.25 pitch thread), and the loop mount of the backrest on mine absolutely will not reach the sides of the car on either side, so the spacers I mentioned earlier HAVE to go between the seat mount and the sheet metal. I know for a fact the backrest is the original that came on the car so it's supposed to be like that.

I guess what I really need is a picture of an original 69.

1600 SP engine
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
...On the subject of rear seat backrest bolts, None of the four Bugs i've owned over the last 7 years have had more than just that flat washer at that spot, including the '64. ...

x2. None of the five Bugs I owned so far had any washer on that bolt.
Except for the large flat washers that are hold in place by the metal "tabs" at the side panel.
Just my 2 cents...
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
vamram wrote:
...On the subject of rear seat backrest bolts, None of the four Bugs i've owned over the last 7 years have had more than just that flat washer at that spot, including the '64. ...

Except for the large flat washers that are hold in place by the metal "tabs" at the side panel.
Just my 2 cents...

Were any of them 68 69 or 70?
Starting to look like those spacers are specific to those years.

1600 SP engine
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Maddel wrote:
vamram wrote:

Just my 2 cents...
Were any of them 68 69 or 70?
Starting to look like those spacers are specific to those years.

Hmmm... Think
They were '71 or up... Your suspicion may be right.
I'm outta here.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

If I can chime in on the conversation, I have a 68 rear seat back and only a single shoulder bolt. The holes in the seat frame are larger than the bolts shoulder so I know something is wrong but not sure what as of yet.

I need another bolt (or two correct ones), and i need spacers. Luckily, the washers are still pinned to the quarter panel area.

Is it the same for anyone else here? The bolt's shoulder being smaller than the hole it's supposed to go through? Maybe the spacers, with their conical shape, fill in the gap?

Any idea where I can source the parts I need?
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ??? about rear seat backrest "pivot" bolts and washers/ spacers Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
If I can chime in on the conversation, I have a 68 rear seat back and only a single shoulder bolt. The holes in the seat frame are larger than the bolts shoulder so I know something is wrong but not sure what as of yet.

I need another bolt (or two correct ones), and i need spacers. Luckily, the washers are still pinned to the quarter panel area.

Is it the same for anyone else here? The bolt's shoulder being smaller than the hole it's supposed to go through? Maybe the spacers, with their conical shape, fill in the gap?

Any idea where I can source the parts I need?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F231560163599

Is this what you need?

Rick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: