Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I am no expert here but I would think you are correct in having concern about them being too large. I would look for a set of 36 Dells or 40 Webers. Someone will want those 44s.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it seems it might be remotely possible to jet and vent them down enough to run them on a 1600, but an actual good idea........no. I've got intakes, linkage, jet kits,air cleaners,etc. for them but I'll either sell it all, trade it all with members here, or save them for a stroker build in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

That I believe is wise! I am running 40s on my 1911cc engine and they are working just fine. Some guys go to 44s at that size of engine but they are running much more cam and much higher rpm than I am.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

anyone have anything at all on twin Solex 32 PDSIT 2-3's?

practically nothing anywhere to be found about tuning/balancing those carbs other than the standard vw instructions and ratwell's site.. it's like a hole opened up in the earth and swallowed all the solex twin carb vw's.

ratwell is very informative but he deals with bus carbs only and they are fairly different.

i'd like to try the DIY bottles method but only the left carb has a vacuum port. manifolds have balance ports though, might give it a shot using those.

appreciate any input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Which dual carburetor set up works with stock doghouse shroud ? Using heater boxes and looking for ideas.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I'm running the Empi 34 EPC set-up on my sb 1303
sciclunam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I have a stock 1600 dual port running dual empi 34 ict which were bought around 2 years ago. They run fine exept that a little rich as plugs are always black. I guess I need to rejet them as they were installed by a previous owner and I think he used them out of the box.

I have read from an experienced mechanic that such engine works best with these jets... Anyone agrees / disagrees? Altitude sea level.

145 mains, 165 air, 55 idle, 150 float, f6 emulsion

Before I start dismantlelling, anyone knows what jets are these empis shipped with?

Thanks

Last edited by sciclunam on Tue May 07, 2019 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

did you try a web search?
sciclunam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

daos wrote:
did you try a web search?

If you are replying to my question... the combination found it on the net by a mechanic but want to know opinion of users.

If you are referring to the jets supplied when shipped.... yes I cant find them on the net.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

http://carcraftstore.com/34epcorictcarbonly.aspx
sciclunam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

daos wrote:
http://carcraftstore.com/34epcorictcarbonly.aspx

Thanks a lot. Do jets have their size stamped on them or they have to be measured?
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

numbers are normally stamped.

this might be useful too:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=572153

there are likely other threads with relevant info.
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

sciclunam wrote:
I have a stock 1600 dual port running dual empi 34 ict which were bought around 2 years ago. They run fine exept that a little rich as plugs are always black. I guess I need to rejet them as they were installed by a previous owner and I think he used them out of the box.

I have read from an experienced mechanic that such engine works best with these jets... Anyone agrees / disagrees? Altitude sea level.

145 mains, 165 air, 55 idle, 150 float, f6 emulsion

Before I start dismantlelling, anyone knows what jets are these empis shipped with?

Thanks

jet sizes out of the box for my empi 34epc's were:
55 idle
175 air corrector
150 main
40 pump valve
F6 emulsion tubes
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Wanted to post that ive gotten these tuned very well now with a smooth idle and great power delivery. Had leaky float valves for a while and changing them made a huge difference. Runs like a charm with these cheap carbs. Despite all of the negativity surrounding them, I find them to be just fine and am happy I stuck with them through the process.

643' elevation
1600 DP with stock heads
CB hi-rev valve springs
Engle 110 cam
Rebuilt German Bosch SVDA(043 905 205)
-Pulling vac from one carb with .035 orifice inline
Dual EMPI 34epc's
-no balance tube
-145 mains
-165 airs
-55 idles
-f6 emulsions
-150 float jets.
Carter electric pump
Holley FPR
cjsuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

So, I just switched to some 44 IDFs from 40 IDFS, and these 44's seem to be early ones, because they have a roller accelerator arm instead of a spring, like most newer ones that I see have.
But anyways, there is no vacuum port, and I had been using a SVDA dizzy with my 40's. Am I right to assume i'll need to change out my dizzy to a mechanical advance one instead of a SVDA now?
Or is there a way to keep the SVDA?
pierrox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

You can just leave the vacuum canister unplugged. You'll effectively lose the extra advance from it.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Had the same problem when I used some italian 44IDFs.

As noted above you can just leave the hose off and the 034 should act like a 009. If it is a petronix make sure to check the total advance as they are still all over the place.

If it was a build that you need to get the most MPG I would go to programmable ignition and tap the manifolds and program for non ported signal
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Questions gentlemen,

Do we know if the newest versions of the EMPI HPMX Dual Carb 40 & 44 kits have the proper intakes to allow the carbs to clear the factory fan shroud?

At basically $600 for the EMPI 40's, having to buy the CB offset intakes causes one to really have to just bite the bullet and buy the CB or Weber kits.

Thank you,
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmr1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Is there any reason my recently acquired ‘73 ghia would have dual solex carbs with only the right having an accelerator pump? Also, any reason not to hook up the the hose from the charcoal canister?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I quite honesty have never heard of an automotive carb without an accelerator pump. Yes you need one on each carb or it will stumble and fart bad when you get on it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: