Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seamus-77 westy resto
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Ah. I remember going down the rabbit hole.

Good thing I like rabbit! Got any polish suggestions? Like to put a rub on em before I put the trim back on.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Notchboy mentioned going down the rabitt hole, and I jumped in head first today. First nice above 40* day today and partial sun. What a motivator to get cracking. Pulled all the remaining interior out.

Was pleasantely surprised at condition of structure throughout. Just a few spots on the bottom where the mice nests kept everything damp that have some heavy scaling rust, but none of it is tender or rotted through. Even found a slice of OG carpet that was undermsink cabinet. Raised the question before wether this is a standard camper or deluxe, and assumed someone has installed the sink/stove combo before me to update a standard camper. Not so sure now as the cabinetry looked like it has been in there since new.

Here is the infamous rabbit I chased.

Now comes the problem. My intention was to do a rolling resto so I can enjoy it as I go. But with rot under both rear windows and hatch window, I need to figure out how to address exterior rot and paint without parking it for the summer.

Hence the rabbit hole. I would love to strip to bone, blast entire structure, repair all steel, and repaint in and out. That means parking it for the next year. Havent even pulled motor yet. Will have to sleep on this one.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Interior refurb coming along slowly. In desperate need of some sun and warm weather! Winter wont let go with another few inches of snow and cold. Finally opened garage doors today. Not warm, (about 30*-35*), but at least the sun has come out for first time in about 4 days.

After gutting interior decided to just surface clean the fold down bed cushions. They were dirty, but did a quick vacuum and a spray can shout on them and was gonna call it good.

For some reason, maybe because its small and didnt have as many staples, decided to pull cover off armrest cushion. Boy am I glad I did! 40 years of nasty under there. Made the decision to pull the covers off the big rock and roll cushions.

Good decision! If you noticed in previous pictures, the cabinetry was covered in a white/yellow powdery mold. So much so, that the only option was to pull everything out and breakdown for cleaning. These cushions are no exception. As clean as I may have gotten the covers, this would have still been underneath. First cover went into the 5gallon bucket with the borax, shout, dawn mix. Three bucket soaks and black ass water and off to the laundry they went. First time through the wash and they are starting to come around. Probably run through a second time with a little shout scrub on a few select spots.

The under boards both got a bleach and soap scrub with some steel wool and after they dry out will get a light sanding and a couple coats of stain. Spent a couple hours last night reading old threads about replacement foam. Almost pulled the trigger this morning on some generic high density foam. Would have bought the wrong stuff. Maybe I should have just read the tag that was on the bottom of the original board. Duh!

Will get some 3” POLYURETHANE high density foam now. Love that polyester material. Amazing resiliency this stuff has. 40 years of abuse and sitting and it pops again. At least I think so.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Next on the list is carpet. Pulled the old shit carpet out and found the OG undercards in good shape.

Hit them with the bleach and soap spray mix and let them air dry three times. Happy to be able to put them back down as the base layer is contoured for the floor and the masonite layer has all the cutouts. Was gonna lay a piece of 6 or 8 mil plastic over that and then this carpet I found.

I shouldnt say I found it. Did a bunch of searching and reading of some old posts and thanks to otiswesty, found this stuff. It is ordered so dont know what to expect, but otis claimed he bought some and its not far off. I like everyone else would love to buy some OG repro, but k-en-k no longer make theirs, and this piece will be big enough for $150 to do the main area, front floor, and walkthrough. No edging or vinyl underfoot up front, but ive got an idea to seal the cut edges at least.

Those are shadows you see from this thing we have up here occasionally called “SUN”.

Anybody seen that damn rabbit?

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Thats a good match - close enough. Keift n Klock version was nowhere near the right color. I know - I have it in both my buses. But its good enough. Finding close carpet is not hard, just takes time and a little brains. I may get some of that stuff ottiswesty found too. Its not that expensive.

Good thing you pulled that foam out. That mold would of made you sick and you girl would of never wanted to sleep on that stuff. Its obvious it been water damaged and foam is the worst breeder of mold behind drywall.

Here is the stock vrs the replacement color.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

I don't remember the exact thread or who did it (I want to say it was one of the regulars) but they bought that same carpet, I belief, and dyed it and it came out pretty close in color a the original.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Fun watching you give your bus some love. You’ll be through all that coarse cleaning before you know it!
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Notch- think I saw that pic in one of your old posts about green carpet. The nice part about this project is that it will never be in a show, although it will be at some shows someday. Its gonna be a frankenbus for the first couple years as youve seen the outside pics, and that works not gonna get done this year. I would just like to open the slider, and say ahhhh. Clean, comfort, and convienence. As a homebrewer im really thinking about building that beer valve into the sink cabinet since its out and sitting in the garage now anyways. Remember seeing the thread about it, and was ....man! I gotta have that!

Wild- its love indeed. Hand scraping the moldy laminate off the back of the rock and roll bed.

And the wifes love for not going nuts about a nasty 5 gallonbucket in her tub!

Really enjoying this and this site for info and feedback. Great motivation! Cheers!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

What the hell is that green plant stuff???? How do you get it? Shit man, we've gotten 9" more snow this week, you aren't that far west of me FFS.

Now that I'm done whining, great job on the interior stuff. That's the part I'm least looking forward to doing. I know you said you have all new rubber mats, I have my old ones that I'm not going to put back in so if you need anything for a template or patch, let me know. I don't have the part that wraps around the vertical part of the pedestals on either side but I do have all the top and front parts.

Picture obviously not taken recently Sad
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:

What the hell is that green plant stuff???? How do you get it? Shit man, we've gotten 9" more snow this week, you aren't that far west of me FFS.

Picture obviously not taken recently Sad

Thanks for the offer. Ok for now. That pic was taken on sunday when the sun came out. And then we got 4” of the same shit you got. Except for yesterday afternoon it hasnt been above freezeing. Next updates will be in a few weeks and then we wont have to talk about it anymore. You need to snatch yours out of the ice and get cracking. Gonna be visiting some I got stored in a couple weeks. PM me anything you need.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Applause

I am so glad I moved from Seattle to San Diego. Cool Laughing

Ill take the problems here. Because they are all new to me and I don't have PNW issues. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I can go swimming now if I want.
I dont need a jacket as its mostly shorts and flip flop weather.
Its nice and cool at night, not freezing.

Ok Ill stop rubbing it in.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Just got in some formica samples. Looking for opinions. These new samples will not be used for repairs of current cabinets, so the fact that the colors are way off is not important. I will be using new formica on a complete set of cabinets, so when finished all will match.

I love the grain in these samples, and although quite a bit more red than OG, think these will look good. Havent found anything “browner” that has the same character of the OG pieces.

Put them up against the hidden section of the cabinet next to bed as this area would have received the least amount of sun fade or wear and tear. Didnt polish up, just wiped down. You can see the dirt and grime just to the right that needs polishing out. Each sample is select cherry, but in two different finishes.

Open to opinions and/or critisism of choice.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

No, looks good. You are repeating exactly what several others have done in several other threads before you - me included. Laughing

Best match to what you are happy with. It wasn't till 4 maybe 5 years back that vendors came out with replacement panels in a correct Westfalia hue. They are the only ones to have it so I bet its made just for them. Because my cabinets were sweet in my 74 - I bought them and is a good to perfect match. You do know you can get these same Westfalia panels and even repair pieces of laminate. right?

When you remove the original laminate - take care in doing so. You can sell it. Especially the large panels for others to fix doors and drawers for sure. I used mine out of the 77 to repair a large table and two doors for my friends 78.

Looks good. Cant wait to see the progress.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
No, looks good. You are repeating exactly what several others have done in several other threads before you - me included. Laughing

Best match to what you are happy with. It wasn't till 4 maybe 5 years back that vendors came out with replacement panels in a correct Westfalia hue. They are the only ones to have it so I bet its made just for them. Because my cabinets were sweet in my 74 - I bought them and is a good to perfect match. You do know you can get these same Westfalia panels and even repair pieces of laminate. right?

When you remove the original laminate - take care in doing so. You can sell it. Especially the large panels for others to fix doors and drawers for sure. I used mine out of the 77 to repair a large table and two doors for my friends 78.

Do you have a link to these more correct looking laminate?
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

The one on the right is warmer by a touch, I think. I prefer that one, like it better than the original laminate. You are building new ones off patterns pulled from the originals, right?

The sun is out. WTF? Half my snow is gone (though it did flurry yesterday anyway...). Now just need for the huge banks to melt so I have a place to move mine to so I can work on it. Well, that and the passenger side tires are still in about 5-6" of ice.

I've got glass install suction cups coming tomorrow, already have all my rubber from WCM, when you decide if you are gonna pull your windows, let me know as I probably will have fought through mine already and can help. Or not, depends on my level of success Very Happy.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Do you have a link to these more correct looking laminate?

http://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=laminate&dir=desc&order=default_sort_order

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Yesterday was a good day as Seamus did not fight me as I gingerly removed his heart and soul. Was about a five hour process from jacking to removal. I must admit I did have to cheat once and check a ratwell link as its the first time ive pulled engine/trans as one unit. Do indeed like this method vs. fighting with trans spline line up. The shaft bolts required vice grip assistance, but each came out cleanly.

I used double jack stands, as im too old, fat, and slow, to shoot out from underneath, or push a dropped bus off me anymore. (Actually had to do that once).

Piece of mind moving around under there now. Didnt have any one thing give me troubles. Drained about a quart of some of the nastiest, foulest, varnished gas you can imagine. Still stinks out there this morning. The good side of that however is that the gas in there is 20 years old, so no ethanol problems. All lines and hose to be replaced anyways, and tank will come out for a look.

Did make the rookie mistake of not taking the coil off. Duh! Need that extra inch or two to come back before going down. All in all a good day.

Borrowed my brothers four weeler jack and love it! Threw a piece of 1x12 across it and it carried the engine down nice and smooth and rollsaround the shop nicely. Can jack it up about 2 feet and sit on a stool to start teardown, hence saving knees. The lower valance is fright with cancer, but plan on replacing both lower corners at some point, so that will be addressed as well. Now that engine and trans are out, cabin and engine bay areas will get degreased hot pressure washed and after thorough dry time, any exposed areas will get treated and spot painted for now. Found a place that makes L21H marinogelb 77 in a spray can and have it shipping my way. Pricey, but will work for what I need now. Napa and several others could not mix this color because they claimed they could not find or aquire the “recipe” for this color.

What made yesterday a great day is that my window sill repair pieces from schofield in england arrived. I went looking at BD and noticed they get them from overseas and then have a HUGE mark up on them. Ordered 2ea of the reapir sills w/corners and 2ea the troughs that receive the slide covers. Even with shipping from england, saved over $100 on these pieces.

Everything is now on hold as I go bus hunting in Georgia next week. Lots of treasures and im sure dissapointments to be had there. Got word that the boys down there found another bus of mine and a squareback of mine too. Gonna be fun!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Saw those panels on BD and they would make perfect repair panels, but at that cost for a 2’x4’ piece, makes them cost prohibitive for a complete face set. The stuff I posted would be used on my duplicate set im building. About $120 for a 5’x12’ sheet.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
The one on the right is warmer by a touch, I think. I prefer that one, like it better than the original laminate. You are building new ones off patterns pulled from the originals, right?

The sun is out. WTF? Half my snow is gone (though it did flurry yesterday anyway...). Now just need for the huge banks to melt so I have a place to move mine to so I can work on it. Well, that and the passenger side tires are still in about 5-6" of ice.

I've got glass install suction cups coming tomorrow, already have all my rubber from WCM, when you decide if you are gonna pull your windows, let me know as I probably will have fought through mine already and can help. Or not, depends on my level of success Very Happy.

Yup on building new ones. Dont know why, but doing it anyways. Overachiever I guess. Was a nice day yesterday, but the key word is “was” as in past tense. Will hit you up when it comes to glass time. Would certainely like some tips and maybe a guy who can hold glass with one hand and a beer in the other. I like beer.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

You guys have probably noticed Im wicked good at takin shit apart.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: