Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: 1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates Reply with quote

I purchased my 1967 Beetle in September 2018. While it has most of its original parts, it did not have a Z bar installed. So I bought a complete unit of the Samba ads and ordered a WW kit to replace the rubber. I recently replaced the body mount rubber grommets and that helped with the persistent "clunk" in the left rear. While I have my engine out (separate thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715542&highlight= ) I am hoping to do the following:

Restore and install Z bar
Remove camber compensator brackets
Replace rear shocks
Replace rear transmission mounts

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67 Lotus White Beetle Sedan - current
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates Reply with quote

Shocks are in. Was wondering if I really needed them. Indeed I did, the old ones barely moved!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates Reply with quote

Also got the Z bar in. It is somewhat tricky because several pieces are unique tot the left or right side.

Cage 44 had some great photos and tips starting here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=80

The Bently Manual was ok to refer to, but the mounting brackets and some of the pieces where trial and error.

Also the large rubber stops from the Wolfsburg West kit were much to tight to get on the rod. I am sure I could make it work, but the original rubber stops, pictured below, were still in good shape so I used them.

Someday, the new stops may be good to try add under the originals to make the Z bar engage earlier. I have ready on the Samba the benefits of this and am intrigued. But for now I will just set a base-line.

In the lower part of this photo, the original rubber stop is on the upper right, WW on the lower left, note the smaller hole

a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates Reply with quote

Replaced transaxle mounts. Had trouble with he bolts and the support, but got some great advice and everything worked out. More here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9053829&highlight=#9053829

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates Reply with quote

Brings back memories. I reassembled a 67 quite a few years ago that was tore down by someone else and I used the WW parts as well. Took a bit to sort it all out since I never messed with a Z bar before.. Looks good.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates Reply with quote

For rubber bushings, use silicone lubricant and they will slide like butter in a hot pan. It comes in tubes and you can find it at electrical supply shops or you could als use silicone brake lubricant from Kleen-Flo, same stuff. Keeps things sliding smooth and doesn't react with the rubber bushing like petroleum based grease will.

brad
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates Reply with quote

Here's a photo of my z-bar on disassembly after body removed. There is a rubber "dome" seal on top of the threaded section ostensibly to protect the threads of the z-bar attachment.

These rubber seals are not in any z-bar kit that I have come across, so to be totally correct they should be fitted. I only have one. I guess the domes were taken off or fell off during use.

They provide some protection but are not really functional other than to protect the threads. Just use some grease or anti-sieze if worried.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates Reply with quote

Here's a link to the official VW drawing

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1971/html5.html#/424
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Here's a photo of my z-bar on disassembly after body removed. There is a rubber "dome" seal on top of the threaded section ostensibly to protect the threads of the z-bar attachment.

These rubber seals are not in any z-bar kit that I have come across, so to be totally correct they should be fitted. I only have one. I guess the domes were taken off or fell off during use.

They provide some protection but are not really functional other than to protect the threads. Just use some grease or anti-sieze if worried.

Cool! Never saw those caps in any rendering. Don't think my other 67 had them either. Maybe I can find a rubber nubbin that fits. Grease sounds good in the meantime.

Much appreciated viiking!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates Reply with quote

Here's a closer photo of the rubber dome. I can distinguish the original VW number being
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Beetle Z bar install and rear suspension updates Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Here's a closer photo of the rubber dome. I can distinguish the original VW number being
Thank you. From what I can tell these are no longer being made anywhere. Which is odd because Volkswagen of Mexico used the Z-bar until the last beetle until 2003 I believe…

I Will keep an eye out for N0S or check out the parts section in my hardware store for something I can put together (I love all those little drawers of parts!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: