Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellogoodbye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Hello!

Thanks to all for the information on this site. I have never owned a VW before, and am considering a 2001 pop top Weekender with 190k on it, for $13000. If ya'll can spare a moment to offer advice, that would be great! I'm in Wisconsin btw.

My main concern is around the pop top and leaks. In the front end of the gutter on the driver-side there was some small pool of water (red circle, first image). And then the driver-side scissor hinge exhibited some corrosion and rust. But I don't see any evidence of water running anywhere, or drips otherwise. It's seeming very isolated to the driver-side interior gutter as I show it. Possibly the water ran from the scissor hinge, down to the circled area, because it was parked pointing slightly down...

I guess I'm curious as to where these pop tops can leak and how to fix it and how serious of a red flag it might be. If I bought it, my first solution is to take automotive silicone sealant and go to town on the pop top's various outside rivets/bolts/rails.

There is also some small tears in the tent fabric from his son apparently closing it improperly. Can that be fixed and reliably waterproof?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Otherwise, the only big issue seems to be a puff of blue smoke when starting the engine. Then it clears up.

I'm buying it from a mechanic who does work on Eurovans and other German cars. He told me the timing chain has been done, and he also installed 2x transmission coolers in front of the main radiator, and has a list of the other basic maintenance.

He doesn't seem so concerned about the blue smoke because I think he has more of a "if it's not really a problem, don't worry" mentality. I guess...but since this is my first Eurovan I don't want surprises. He also offers a 5,000 mile warranty if something breaks on the powertrain or electronics system.

Thoughts?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Not sure if it's just me, but I can't see your pictures. Concerning leaks on a weekender poptop, I would say that it's not really an issue in general. What could lead to leaks are either the front rubber deflector ahead of the pop top is missing, one of the four rubber blocks or its sealant has deteriorated, or someone has installed roof rails through the top and didn't seal it well. This is related to top down. I'm sure up would apply the same less the rubber deflector and to include the tent fabric.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hellogoodbye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply!

Okay, here are some direct links:

https://i.postimg.cc/QxJbypLH/front-left-pop-top-leak.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/zGdkJ8GN/IMG-20190415-165707935.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Gm3QwHrz/IMG-20190415-165725807.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/nLCGrgXD/IMG-20190415-165733396.jpg

What do you mean by rubber blocks?

The front deflector is still there and yes, it has rails on the top of the pop top shell.
fkahlert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Seeing this just for curiosity - is the seal still around the pop-top?

Typically these roof are actually super leak proof and the only way there could really be leakage is if the seal is missing or if the roof was open during heavy rain and not closed.
We have not seen any corrosion or leakage on ours (its a 2003 check the classifieds)

If there is rust on the scissors that is something I would look at more closely as they are never exposed to the weather....

My 2 cents
Florian
hellogoodbye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Yes, the seal that wraps around the whole pop top shell is still there. I was wondering if water could wick between the seat and the shell however...and somehow get down inside the van. If the seal looked a bit dry, could I run some caulk along it?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

I see the pictures now. I would only see the pool up from the block just ahead of the channel no longer having s good seal. If that’s from top up, then you need some fresh waterproofing on the fabric. Mines scissor hinges look like yours, but on both sides. It’s a 93 though, and I haven’t had any water issues in my 6 years of ownership. Those holes in the fabric are typical of not taking care when bringing down the top.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hellogoodbye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
I see the pictures now. I would only see the pool up from the block just ahead of the channel no longer having s good seal. If that’s from top up, then you need some fresh waterproofing on the fabric. Mines scissor hinges look like yours, but on both sides. It’s a 93 though, and I haven’t had any water issues in my 6 years of ownership. Those holes in the fabric are typical of not taking care when bringing down the top.

Oh, I see what you mean. There is a rubber block just ahead of the puddle of water? There are four of those? Can they easily be replaced or caulked inside and outside to seal them?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

On second thought, i'm not sure if they are hard rubber or plastic, but they are sealed in with some sort of urethane. You should look from the outside, top/front to see if the sealant is cracked or deteriorated. I believe you would have to remove the tent to get them out. May be able to reseal in place.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Could the stains just be pooled condensation from the top? Mine does that on big temp changes.

Sweet price on the Weekender - I'm offered 25-30k for mine monthly
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

I live in the perpetually rainy PNW, and our top has never leaked, even though the van lives outside 24/7. Our original top canvas was rotted in several sections, but that was due to the PO failing to ensure the material was stuffed properly under the roof.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Leakin pop tops have been around forever...I reallyike rhe warrenty...if all you u haveave is a small.hole in the canvas u can sew it with a awl...when you replace the poptop canvas now that`s when your gonna have fun...good luck volkybus101
hellogoodbye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Well, I feel a bit better about the pop top with all this info.

Anyone want to comment on the puff of blue smoke when starting it cold?

He said it might just be some leak by on the valves. He said it does not actually burn any oil however.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

It might be valve stem seals. I theorize that older seals can stiffen up when they're cold and allow small amounts of oil to sneak down the valve stems while it's parked, but become more pliable when warmed; hence no appreciable oil consumption.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
hellogoodbye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Ok that sounds reasonable, about the valves.

Last question: can those 4 rubber blocks at the pop top corners be easily replaced?
hellogoodbye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Sorry to double post, but does anyone have a thought on resealing around the rubber blocks, or how hard it is to replace them?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering a pop top Weekender, but question on pop top leaks Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of people use silicone. I’ve repaired my front blocks with windshield urethane, although you have little time to work with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: