Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black Door Rubber Seals
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

I ordered door seals from one of our vendors and they are gray. I would prefer black. Anyone know of a supplier that sells black door rubber?

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member" (Groucho Marx)

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the more you pull off the faster it goes" (unknown)

“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” (John Wayne)

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” – Adm Grace
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

They might look grey because of the packing powder that may be coated on them. Try cleaning them up, I bet they're black.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

WCM? They make the seals for split buses in the proper dark gray. And my '63 beetle's original seals are a dark gray. If this is the case- it is good news for beetle owners.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
They might look grey because of the packing powder that may be coated on them. Try cleaning them up, I bet they're black.

Yes! I believe that Talc was often/is used to act as a lubricant for rubber as well. Dark gray is the correct color. Leave the white powder on them. They keep them "slippery" but in time will wear off.
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:

Okay, I'll check that out tomorrow and they do have a lot of powder on them. I would call these a "light" gray but the powder could be making them lighter.

The reason I thought black was original is because the old seals (which are all cracked and disintegrated) are black.

Thanks for all the response.

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member" (Groucho Marx)

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper.....the more you pull off the faster it goes" (unknown)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

Indeed the talc makes dark gray seals look light gray when new.
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

Okay...this is what I have. There really isn't much powder on it and when wiped with a damp cloth this is the color of the door seals I received?

Are they correct? Too light? Too Dark? Too Gray? Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

Requesting the source a second time...

In other words, If they are from WCM it's correct and on purpose. If it's from another company it was an accident- and likely too light. Flash photography makes it lighter than it looks in person. The tension is off at the corner.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

OK. Here is a picture of my new German seals. They look light grey/gray but when rubbed with a little water you can see that they are a dark colour underneath. It's just the talc rubbing off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Requesting the source a second time...

In other words, If they are from WCM it's correct and on purpose. If it's from another company it was an accident- and likely too light. Flash photography makes it lighter than it looks in person. The tension is off at the corner.

That's not the flash. That's the actual color. I know about the corner, it will be corrected. Thanks. Smile

PS: They came from JBugs

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

Thanks for the J-bugs info.

FU#5
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

hi guys. im looking at the door seal kits from cip1 and was wondering if its worth it to buy the german seals over brazilian kits? how much worse are the brazilian kits? german kits are like 150 bucks more which is why i ask.

thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Kthomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

Every time I try to get the door seals from cip1 the say they are out of stock or can’t sell them to me because one seal is back ordered. Have you been able to get either one ? Brazil or German ?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

German seals WCM, no one else has the flap for the striker.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

I need a "like" button for this. WCM is where you need to spend your money.

FU#5
sfizio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

Hope this thread is still active. So my door seals are leaking. There seems two be only two choices, Brazilian or German seals. Anybody got a definitive opinion on which way to go before I go through the effort?

Also, is there a thread on how to do it?

Thanks. Thomas
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

WCM......German. You wont be satisfied with the Brazillian ones unless you like crap parts and cheaper.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

Doesn't WCM rubber seals have a lifetime guarantee ???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

I've bought door seals from several sources, and they *all* have had the damn flap (can you tell how much I like that flap) for the striker (for my convertible). Right now I'm rocking Wolfsburg West in my doors, but I also have put Vewib and WCM on there. All three seemed to be about the same quality - and all three had the striker flap.

To make them work I had to add more talc to make sure they slipped in, and opened and closed every couple of days. Finally I have doors without the seals *sticking out* of the door. Personally, I liked Vewib, but they were all pretty darn similar.
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
sfizio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Door Rubber Seals Reply with quote

Well, got my seals from WCM. Thanks all for the advice. Any info on how to install or is it obvious once I pull the old ones out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: