Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Gauge "Vibrator"
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

Took my speedometer out to fix the odometer and when I re-installed it the gas gauge didn't work. The only thing I did to the gas gauge, after I remove it from the speedometer, was to use some blue loc-tite on the two terminals to keep the loose nuts secure before re-attaching it to the speedometer. (Could THIS have screwed something up?) Used a voltage detector clipped to the dash board frame and the light lit up on both the terminals of the fuel level indicator. My question is, would the fuel indicator work WITHOUT the so called Gas Gauge "vibrator" in series? Would this be a good way of seeing if the Gas Gauge "vibrator" is bad? I have tried two "vibrators", but have a sneaking suspicion that they may be bag as the one already in there when I bought the Thing didn't stop the needle from wandering between full and empty and the one I bought to replace it if from very old stock and it is unknown if it actually works.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

the so called "vibrator" is necessary to reduce the voltage needed by the gas gauge. Its prone to malfunction in case of a lousy contact. Modern replacements are solid state.

By adding loctite you probably lost good grounding for the speedo. Please make sure you are grounding it properly.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

perello wrote:
the so called "vibrator" is necessary to reduce the voltage needed by the gas gauge. Its prone to malfunction in case of a lousy contact. Modern replacements are solid state.

By adding loctite you probably lost good grounding for the speedo. Please make sure you are grounding it properly.

Well I just purchased a new version "vibrator", the solid state one - made in Denmark, and will see if that does the trick. When it comes I will take the speedometer out for the umpteenth time and not only connect the new "vibrator", but see if I can remove the Loctite. (Might even polish out the scratched in the plastic speedometer lens) After that I will post again and let you know. Stay tuned and thanks!
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

Poorjimmy5 wrote:
perello wrote:

Well I just purchased a new version "vibrator", the solid state one - made in Denmark, and will see if that does the trick. When it comes I will take the speedometer out for the umpteenth time and not only connect the new "vibrator", but see if I can remove the Loctite. (Might even polish out the scratched in the plastic speedometer lens) After that I will post again and let you know. Stay tuned and thanks!

hey Poorjimmy5 - [about polishing the plastic lens]

I had to work on my speedo a few years back, stripped gear in there. Once that was fixed and I had the speedo pulled apart, I used a few micro-fiber towels and some "mothers brand headlight polish" from an old kit - it was their plastic polish, I actually was able to take out a scratch you could catch for fingernail on with that stuff.

took a bit of elbow grease doing it by hand on the kitchen table, but I put a microfiber towel on the table, laid the plastic lens on that and polished the crap out of it.

looks brand new!

have fun!!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

What Denmark solid state vibrator are you referring too?

Is that the same one everyone is selling?

Poorjimmy5 wrote:
perello wrote:

Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

Pretty much, maybe not even that good. Said it was made in Denmark, but there are no markings that would even hint at that. Fingers crossed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What do ya think?
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

most people is fooled byt the danish brand JP group, which mostly distributes parts made in china.

the device you picture uses a feston lamp to reduce voltage, I had always bad luck with it, and you will have a hard time to fplace it in a Thing.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

Why would I have a hard time mounting this in a thing?
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

Poorjimmy5 wrote:
Why would I have a hard time mounting this in a thing?

because its big. Not much space left to fit, will touch something and a bad contact follows...
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

You can make small wires with spaded connectors if necessary to install it and then make sure it is grounded well-that is an alternative if you cannot get it to fit on the back of the gas gauge and installed into the compartment.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

I see. Thanks. Scared to touch my speedometer now that it "mostly" works! LOL
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

perello wrote:

Ok, removed the speedometer again to clear the plastic lens and remove the loctite from the speedometer terminals.

Was able to remove all of the loctite and its residue with a fantastic little wire brush. Attached a 9V battery to the terminals and the needle moved. I am going to assume now that the gas guage works. Will reinstall after I buff out the issues with the speedometer "glass".
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

You can get real glass for your speedomenter and a gasket from Mike Basso
https://www.thingparts.com/search.php?search_query=speedometer&x=0&y=0

Just email him with your needs.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

I already have a new gasket, but might be interested in a new glass, but don't see it on Mike's website. Do you have a link for the new "glass"?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

You have to email him. It is not listed. Originally the cover is some sort of plastic material that can scratch. He sells a real glass replacement.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

Roger, roger! Thanks!
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Gauge "Vibrator" Reply with quote

The fuel gauge wants to see 8 volts, hence the vibrator which is a rudimentary voltage regulator. The same can be accomplished quite cheaply with a modern solid state regulator. I have put many of these on cars in place of vibrators. They do take a little bit of soldering skills but the price is right if you mess it up just start on another.

A link to the proper regulator:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/on-semiconductor/MC7908CTG/MC7908CTGOS-ND/919391

Good luck!
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: