Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running wires
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
car barn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Running wires Reply with quote

How have you guys run wires under the dash without making it look too sloppy (like for antenna wire, speaker wires, ext)?
I'd rather not drill too many holes into the sheet metal. I don't want screws sticking out in the lugage area.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Running wires Reply with quote

I just run a Bluetooth speaker that sits in my glove box. No holes to drill or wires to hide. If I park somewhere questionable I just take it with me.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Running wires Reply with quote

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-12410NAT/Ca...lsrc=aw.ds

These are what you seek any hardware store and probably Walmart will have them

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Running wires Reply with quote

The plastic cable tie anchors are a good solution for those who don't want to make holes, but the foam tape adhesive they come with won't last (especially in cold or warm extremes.
If you are willing to take the trouble, remove all traces of the foam tape from the anchors and replace it with high quality automotive grade two sided tape. I like Tesa 4965. If the mating surfaces are clean, it will last "forever".
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Running wires Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
The plastic cable tie anchors are a good solution for those who don't want to make holes, but the foam tape adhesive they come with won't last (especially in cold or warm extremes.
If you are willing to take the trouble, remove all traces of the foam tape from the anchors and replace it with high quality automotive grade two sided tape. I like Tesa 4965. If the mating surfaces are clean, it will last "forever".
Good luck, Mondshine

If you buy the good professional grade ones they will stay stuck just fine. We use a ton of these for instrumentation on electric motors in steel mills.

Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Running wires Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
If you buy the good professional grade ones they will stay stuck just fine. We use a ton of these for instrumentation on electric motors in steel mills.

Source please? I've used ones from McMaster which I assumed would be "professional grade" but with no luck.

I might be tempted to try 3M "Command" Cord Clips. I don't know if they will work but it would be cheap to try and they can be removed without a trace.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Running wires Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
Krochus wrote:

Source please? I've used ones from McMaster which I assumed would be "professional grade" but with no luck.

I might be tempted to try 3M "Command" Cord Clips. I don't know if they will work but it would be cheap to try and they can be removed without a trace.

That’s the ones we use. Did you prep the surface with alcohol or solvent?

I have some of these on the outside of my bug for the wires running to my rack and they have been solid for quite some time. I even have a couple on the engine

iNevada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Running wires Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just did my wiring. Used a few zip ties and plastic wire organizer clips from Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
car barn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Running wires Reply with quote

These are exactly the ideas I needed guys... thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: